PDA

View Full Version : Sharing internet connector with a router

xineohp
13-10-2004, 02:49 PM
How do I share my broadband connection using my router between two machines.

lagbort
13-10-2004, 02:57 PM
plug the router into the switch, and the 2 computers into the switch, voila internet

xineohp
13-10-2004, 03:02 PM
Sorry to be a pain but I'm new to this sort of thing, what is a switch and where would I find it. Is a switch another name for a hub?

Pete O\'Neil
13-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Perhaps you should provide the model number and brand of your router and any other networking equipment.

Billy T
13-10-2004, 03:12 PM
In simple terms, Network Hub = Network Switch only slower.

You can buy Network Switches just about anywhere including DSE.

It is not quite a "plug in and Voila exercise", the switch requires no configuration but your computers will need to be set to recognise the Router IP as the internet gateway (usually 192.168.7.1) and the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0

Check out the FAQs, you will find it all there.

Post again if confusion sets in.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

xineohp
13-10-2004, 03:17 PM
I have a Windows XP machine with onboard Network adapter, I have a Windows 98 machine no network card. No cables crossover, cat5 no hub the router is DSE BROADBAND ROUTER(I think I might understand now the ports on the back are the switches, is that right, if so which cables do I buy to connect the machines to the switch, I will also need to buy a network card for the Win98 machine I presume).

tommy
13-10-2004, 03:28 PM
Read through the forum's Networking FAQ (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=52146&message=323350) for detailed information on how to setup a network then ask for advice on the parts you do not understand.

Murray P
13-10-2004, 03:39 PM
So this DSE router has a multi port hub/switch, how many RJ454 ports (the female socket the same as a network card's). If it's an auto sensing switch then straight through patch cables will do, you won't need crossover cables.

Get a 10/100 network (= NIC, ethernet card, LAN card, all the same) from DSE or wherever, about $15-25 for the win 98 PC.

The PF1 Network FAQ's are a good place to start but do not go into connection sharing. For that go here (http://www.wown.com/), bookmark and print off the relevant section for XP and win 98.

Get you network up and running first then try to share the internet connection. If you have any prob's (or successes) post back here.

Cheers Murray P

metla
13-10-2004, 03:48 PM
You dont need to enable internet connection sharing when each machine is being fed from the router.

And it is just a case of pluging them each into a port,no need to asign anything such as a gateway to get it up and running.

Pete O\'Neil
13-10-2004, 03:48 PM
What DSE call a router is acutally a ADSL Modem+Router+Switch, as murray said you'll need a cheap NIC for the 98 machine and 2 network cables, one to connect each pc to the DSE router. In order to get the router to connect to the internet you may need to contact your ISP's helpdesk.

Make sure both pc's have dynamic IP's that are assigned by the router. The router will have a web based management inteface that should be accesible by typing its IP into your browsers address bar. As long as the PC's are set to get their IP's from the router then the network should work alright, you should only need to change a few settings to get the internet to work.

It would be a good idea to read networking how-to's on the internet to familarize yourself with networking basics, gaining an understanding about DCHP, DNS, IP address's, subnet masks will only make setting up your network easier.

Murray P
13-10-2004, 04:00 PM
> You dont need to enable internet connection sharing when each machine is
> being fed from the router.

Who's mentioned MS ICS? Best avoided if you can.

Cheers Murray P