PDA

View Full Version : MotherBoard

bk T
12-10-2004, 02:24 PM
Building a new computer. Either P4 Prescott 3.2G 1MB 800 FSB or, P4 3.2 G 1 M Cache 800 FSB 775P.

Could someone please recommend a motherboard of < $250.00

Cheers

Pete O\'Neil
12-10-2004, 02:33 PM
Are both processors LGA775? Do you want DDR or DDR2? AGP or PEG? PCI or PCIe?

Jams
12-10-2004, 02:41 PM
teehee. intel. hehehehe.

Peter
12-10-2004, 03:41 PM
Try Ascent.

Plenty of Boards and Specs. Take your pick.

http://www.ascent.co.nz/index.asp

bk T
12-10-2004, 04:11 PM
> Are both processors LGA775? Do you want DDR or DDR2?
> AGP or PEG? PCI or PCIe?

I think they are both LGA775.

Would prefer AGP.

As regards DDR and DDR2, which do you think is better or just a matter of preference?

Cheers

bk T
12-10-2004, 04:15 PM
> teehee. intel. hehehehe.

What's wrong with Intel? Although it is more expensive, it is much more stable (personal experience) than AMD. Have encountered countless problems with AMD CPUs.

Will never use AMDs unless Intel is not available any more!

Pete O\'Neil
12-10-2004, 04:22 PM
DDR2 is more modern and will be around for alot longer, either or it doesnt really matter. You could buy a board that has support for both such as the MSI 915P Combo (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=334452). Its getting very difficult to find a socket 775 board with an AGP slot, you'll most likely have to make the jump to PEG/PCIe.

Trying to find a LGA775 motherboard for under $250 is like trying to find a needle in a hay stake it just isnt going to happen. Your trying to buy new technology with a small budget, which isnt a good idea you'll either have to compromise on quality (bad idea in my opinion) or choose slower products or old technology. Why not downgrade the chip to a LGA775 2.8GHz P4? Slightly cheaper and should allow for a better motherboard.

In reality you need to reconsider the budget, the moment you make the jump to LGA775 you really need to make the jump to DDR2 and PCIe, which wont be cheap.

metla
12-10-2004, 04:31 PM
> What's wrong with Intel? Although it is more
> expensive, it is much more stable (personal
> experience) than AMD. Have encountered countless
> problems with AMD CPUs.
>
> Will never use AMDs unless Intel is not available any
> more!

Then your personal experience is probally indicative of your personal skill level, An intel is no more stable then an AMD.Not that i care what you use,but no need to make fictional statements.

fictional-An imaginative creation or a pretense that does not represent actuality but has been invented.

Pete O\'Neil
12-10-2004, 04:32 PM
> > teehee. intel. hehehehe.
>
> What's wrong with Intel? Although it is more
> expensive, it is much more stable (personal
> experience) than AMD. Have encountered countless
> problems with AMD CPUs.
>
> Will never use AMDs unless Intel is not available any
> more!
bk T just ignore Jam's he's a annoying AMD fanboy, if you want to buy Intel then buy Intel. But in saying that your reasons for disliking AMD are misguided. Some of the earlier Athlon were unstable due to poor chipsets, the chipset avaliable now for both the AthlonXP and Athlon64 are top notch and every bit as good as Intels. Any problems youve encounted with AMD are most likely the fault of the user, AMD provide a top notch product that is as good as any Intel product. For along time rumors and lies have been spread by Intel fanboy saying AMD run hot or are unstable, which are completly untrue. Theres nothing wrong with either platform and both offer great performance.

If your building a PC primarily for gaming you really should consider a Athlon64, it constantly proves the better performer in a gaming enviroment. In some benchmarks the Athlon 3500+ outperforms the 3.6GHz P4 EE.

bk T
12-10-2004, 05:01 PM
> ... But in saying
> that your reasons for disliking AMD are misguided.

My apologies for that.

> Some of the earlier Athlon were unstable due to poor
> chipsets, the chipset avaliable now for both the
> AthlonXP and Athlon64 are top notch and every bit as
> good as Intels.

I accept your above reasoning, Pete. Maybe my bad encounters were all those earlier chipsets.

Sometimes, it's hard to change one's perception.

bk T
12-10-2004, 05:05 PM
> Trying to find a LGA775 motherboard for under $250 is
> like trying to find a needle in a hay stake it just
> isnt going to happen. Your trying to buy new
> technology with a small budget, which isnt a good
> idea you'll either have to compromise on quality (bad
> idea in my opinion) or choose slower products or old
> technology. Why not downgrade the chip to a LGA775
> 2.8GHz P4? Slightly cheaper and should allow for a
> better motherboard.
>
> In reality you need to reconsider the budget, the
> moment you make the jump to LGA775 you really need to
> make the jump to DDR2 and PCIe, which wont be cheap.

Pete, I take your advise (with thanks) and will change to P4 2.8 GH.

Cheers

Pete O\'Neil
12-10-2004, 06:13 PM
Are you just upgrading certain hardware or are you building an entirely new system? Perhap post you entire budget and what you want to buy and we can help with purchasing decisions. I have to admit i havent been the biggest fan of MSI's motherboard but there recent releases have really impressed me.

bk T
12-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Well, I'm building a new system. My budget is < $2000/- with the following specs:

P4 2.8 (as suggested)
Motherboard ?
RAM 512 MB DDR or DDR2
Audio and Video - no special requirements
17" flat screen CRT monitor
CD writer, and
of course, keyboard, mouse, etc...

Pete O\'Neil
13-10-2004, 11:25 AM
For that budget i'd build something like this:

Pentium 4 2.8GHz LGA775 $333.79
MSI 915P Neo2 Platnium $291.38
Transcend DDR2 PC4300 $350.13
Powercolour ATI X300SE PCIe 128mb $187.90
Philips 107S51 17' Flat CRT $230.63
LG 52x32x52 CD-RW $73.50
Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard & Mouse Black (OEM) $82.12
Antec SLK2650BQE Black Mini Tower + 350w PSU $235.71

If my maths is right that comes to $1785.16, you could use the remaining money in the budget to get more ram or you could upgrade to a nice LCD monitor. The X300SE isnt a gamers card so if you want to play all the latest games that really needs to be upgraded. The Philips monitor should be able to be purchased in black to match the case and keyboard/mouse. The Antec case might seem expensive compared to elcheapo iCute/Hyena cases but the PSU it comes with is top quality. If you were to go with a different case remember to make sure you have a quality PSU, alot of the problems we see here on PressF1 are atleast partly the fault of cheap PSU's.

bk T
13-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Thanks, Pete.

I really appreciate your time for working out the recommendations. Will probably get all the stuff in the next couple of days.

Cheers

Pete O\'Neil
13-10-2004, 02:24 PM
Good luck with the build, it might be an idea to have a quick look on the internet about installing LGA775 processors and read any material that comes in the box. Ive heard alot of differing stories in regards to how difficult they are to install.

bk T
15-10-2004, 10:19 AM
Hi Pete,

> For that budget i'd build something like this:
>
> MSI 915P Neo2 Platnium $291.38

Where can I find this board?

> Antec SLK2650BQE Black Mini Tower + 350w PSU $235.71

And, this PSU & case?

Cheers

Pete O\'Neil
15-10-2004, 10:23 AM
I grabbed the price for both parts from PCTronix (http://www.pctronix.co.nz/cart/index.php) their based in Auckland but do free frieght nationwide. I buy all my parts from there now days, they might not be the cheapest but the service is awsome.

bk T
15-10-2004, 11:12 AM
Thanks, Pete.