PDA

View Full Version : Single port or 4 port ADSL modem

Mike
12-10-2004, 01:34 PM
I am going to be buying a new ADSL modem... However I'm a little confused as to what I need - a single port ethernet/utp, or a 4 port ethernet/utp. There's about $50 difference between the two, and that might be a deciding factor for me, unless I'm convinced one way or another. Does a 4 port one mean I can plug other computers into it? Or do I still need a hub? Or can I connect a single port one into my old hub and have other computers connect to it via that?

Can someone explain it all to me please? :p

Thanks,
Mike.

MartynC
12-10-2004, 01:38 PM
with a 4 port you can plug up to 4 devices, ie 4 computers; or if you have a network ready printer, 3 computers & a printer.
If you have more than one computer, get the 4 plug or else you will have to switch cables, & also only 1 could use it at a time :D

Murray P
12-10-2004, 01:42 PM
> I am going to be buying a new ADSL modem... However
> I'm a little confused as to what I need - a single
> port ethernet/utp, or a 4 port ethernet/utp. There's
> about $50 difference between the two, and that might
> be a deciding factor for me, unless I'm convinced one
> way or another.

Does a 4 port one mean I can plug other computers into it?

Yes.

> Or do I still need a hub?

No.

> Or can I connect a single port one into my old hub
> and have other computers connect to it via that?

Yes.

> Can someone explain it all to me please? :p
>
> Thanks,
> Mike.

In other words if you already have a hub or switch you don't need the multi port router. If on the other hand, you want to save some space or clutter, you can ditch your existing hub and use a routers multi port hub/switch.

Personally I'd go for the $50-.

Cheers Murray P

metla
12-10-2004, 02:18 PM
some cheap 4 port routers do not have the switch capability built into them and still require a hub/switch inorder to make a network.

If i was you i would be looking for a 4 port router with inbuilt switch and firewall,from a reputable brand.

And if you want to get tricky,one with wireless connectivity.....just set one up in my homestead and could not be happier,beams it out to all corners of my section,hell,the neigbourhood kids are probally leeching free net access from me as we speak.......

bk T
12-10-2004, 02:29 PM
>
> And if you want to get tricky,one with wireless
> connectivity.....just set one up in my homestead and
> could not be happier,beams it out to all corners of
> my section,hell,the neigbourhood kids are probally
> leeching free net access from me as we speak.......

What brand and model? How is the signal strength - good?

DangerousDave
12-10-2004, 08:10 PM
I have a $99+gst 4 port router (puretek i think - coexant chipset anyway), and it does the trick very well. Have had no problems with it - although i find it does get quite hot at times especially when transfering lots of data around the network. I have run out of room for computers though and had to get another 5 port switch. I think you can pick up a cheap 8 port switch for $40 or so anyway so it might be more efficient to get the single port router with the 8 port switch. But then again, most people don't have more than 4 computers and it does look better with only a router and no mess of cables with a switch. That of course is upto you!

- David

Mike
13-10-2004, 05:42 PM
> > Or can I connect a single port one into my old hub
> > and have other computers connect to it via that?
>
> Yes.

I'll do that then I guess... especially since Dick Smith have sold out of the 4port model and won't be getting more for 3 or 4 weeks :)

Mike.

metla
13-10-2004, 08:12 PM
Then why not shop elsewhere,DSE are hardly the be all and end all of computer hardware,Hell id put them well well well down the list.....just above warehouse stationary....

Mike
13-10-2004, 09:47 PM
> Then why not shop elsewhere,DSE are hardly
> the be all and end all of computer hardware

Because they're in town, (usually) have the item in stock, offer far better warranties than most computer shops can/will do, and they're also cheaper than most places nearby.

Mike.

metla
13-10-2004, 09:51 PM
So....no real reason at all then? :D

lmao.

Must be crap shops in your part of the woods.

Itguy
14-10-2004, 12:37 AM
Hi Mike, I have recently purchased a wireless ADSL modem / router from Computer Link (www.computerlink.co.nz) brand is Trendnet you can see them on the website. I got the one with built in 54Mb wireless, but there is also just a 4 port switch model also.

You can get a single port modem, but will have to purchase a switch anyway if anyone else wants to use your connection.

Cheers

John

Mike
14-10-2004, 07:48 AM
>> Must be crap shops in your part of the woods.

No comment :p

Mike.

Mike
14-10-2004, 07:50 AM
> You can get a single port modem, but will have to
> purchase a switch anyway if anyone else wants to use
> your connection.

So it won't work on my old hub (non-switch)? What about Internet Connection sharing via Windows?

Mike.

Murray P
14-10-2004, 08:45 AM
> > You can get a single port modem, but will have to
> > purchase a switch anyway if anyone else wants to
> use
> > your connection.
>
> So it won't work on my old hub (non-switch)? What
> about Internet Connection sharing via Windows?
>
> Mike.

It will still work with your hub Mike. It just needs to be an ADSL modem with a router and an RJ45 port hanging off it, which most any ADSL modems you purchase these days will have with it.

Switches are just glorified hubs, they have things like auto sensing, better traffic lights and can chew while they think about something else, it's really just providing you with enough ports to connect your network to the modem/router. Have a look here (http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/bridge_types.htm) and here (http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/switching_hub.htm) for explanations.

I use an ADSL modem/router with a single port with a separate switch(hub) plugged into the it to distribute the signals to the network because when I purchased my rig, modem/routers with build in hubs or switches where alot more expensive than the single port ones but the 4 port switch only cost $30-. There's nothing stopping you from doing the same with your existing hub.

Cheers Murray P

Dragonslayer
14-10-2004, 10:22 AM
I'm using a Dynalink RTA770, and have found it to be reliable, and easy to configure, just put login name and password in. It has 4 Ethernet ports, that are 10/100Mb (Some cheaper ADSL Router only offer 10Mb ports), and I'm extremely happy with it.
Shares the intenret connection with the 4 PC's, and has a Firewall, so don't need to use the annoying software ones (Including XP SP2).

Mike
14-10-2004, 12:30 PM
> > > You can get a single port modem, but will have to
> > > purchase a switch anyway if anyone else wants to use
> > > your connection.
> >
> > So it won't work on my old hub (non-switch)? What
> > about Internet Connection sharing via Windows?
> >
> > Mike.
>
> It will still work with your hub Mike. It just needs
> to be an ADSL modem with a router and an RJ45 port
> hanging off it, which most any ADSL modems you
> purchase these days will have with it.

The modem I'm looking at is this one here. From what you tell me, and from what that page tells me, it should work with my existing hub. If it doesn't I'm not overly worried, as I can work around that I think, but it would be a bonus if it will.

> I use an ADSL modem/router with a single port with a
> separate switch(hub) plugged into the it to
> distribute the signals to the network because when I
> purchased my rig, modem/routers with build in hubs or
> switches where alot more expensive than the single
> port ones but the 4 port switch only cost $30-.
> There's nothing stopping you from doing the same with
> your existing hub.

Sounds good to me - here's hoping :) Now all I need is the reimbursement cheque from work so I can go and buy it.

Cheers,
Mike.

Murray P
14-10-2004, 12:49 PM
Well, the DSE site says it's a router but doesn't mention NAT or PAP security, the D-Link site says it's a DSL modem with NAT and PAP, 10/100 ethernet (10 baseT), Bridged ethernet, PPPoE and PPPoA so, it looks pretty much like a modem/router.

You can always nail DSE for misleading advertising if it turns out not to be (print off DSE's ad and specs for future ref). It's blimmin cheap!

Cheers Murray P