PDA

View Full Version : MSN Messenger not signing in

vk_dre
12-10-2004, 08:35 AM
hi everyone, ive run into a little problem with msn messenger, i havnt been able to sign in for the past 2 days, i dont know what has happened and i was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem.

Cheers,
v.K

un_auth0rised
12-10-2004, 09:09 AM
You go to help, service status it will tell u wots going on, its usually maintenance. You dont need to be signed in to do this

Chilling_Silence
12-10-2004, 09:50 AM
That's all very well and good if you're using MSN Messenger on a Windows box, but what if you use Gaim or aMSN on a Linux box??

Hence my post.....

;-)

beama
12-10-2004, 09:50 AM
yes they are having problems

jackyht
12-10-2004, 10:49 AM
Hi guys

yea, they have a maintenance on sunday too.. then on their maintenance day, i think they run into problem and not running properly on monday... so they decided to closed off msn for a whole night until this morning

now it is fully function now.... you can able to log in with flying colours

Jacky

stu120404
12-10-2004, 11:06 AM
> yea, they have a maintenance on sunday too.. then on
> their maintenance day, i think they run into problem
> and not running properly on monday... so they decided
> to closed off msn for a whole night until this
> morning

yeath, it sounds like that, or they did something to the servers, which the servers did not like on Monday so they had to take MSN down to fix.

But every thing seems fine now.

Baldy
12-10-2004, 08:26 PM
> That's all very well and good if you're using MSN
> Messenger on a Windows box, but what if you use Gaim
> or aMSN on a Linux box??
>
> Hence my post.....
>
> ;-)

Linux, Windows, makes no difference. MSN has to do the maintenance - thats why you can't sign in. Linux is only the platform. Messenger is the program, and like your computer - messenger has to be tweaked and updated as well.

Chilling_Silence
13-10-2004, 12:15 AM
Well done sherlock, however I dont have the aforementioned button on my MSN Messenger like you do!!

Big John
13-10-2004, 02:48 PM
They are having virus and security problems.
A quote from another source

People using Microsoft's instant-messaging software, MSN Messenger, may have been a mite lonely this weekend, with only a virus to keep them company.

The software giant acknowledged on Monday that it continued to battle a technical glitch that prevented MSN users from logging on to the service's instant-messaging system for the past three days. The problems, which several users complained about on discussion forums frequented by network administrators, caused several hours of outages on Monday morning.

The problems also coincided with the emergence of a new computer virus, known as Funner, that spreads using the MSN instant-messaging service and tries to direct people to a Web site, www.78p.com. However, security software firm Symantec found no evidence that the virus, which had only spread to a small number of PCs, had caused any disruptions

Chilling_Silence
13-10-2004, 03:27 PM
Yes, I noticed - I read the article from The Register and CNet (Or Zdnet) news also.

Sucks that half my friend arent smart enough to be using something less susceptible to that sorta crap. I cant think of the last time Jabber.org had to "Go down for maintenance" for hours on end, let alone was hit by a Virus :-(