PDA

View Full Version : fedora and digi cams

kiwirik
12-10-2004, 06:59 AM
hi all

I have a panasonic dmc-lc20 digital camera with usb inputs.

i run fedora core 1 and regularly update.

i am not sure how to access the data on the camera using the usb cable and am struggling with adding a 'mount point' for the camera.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

richard

JohnD
12-10-2004, 11:06 AM
First of all lets check that it works, then we can make it more permanent by adding a line to the /etc/fstab file.

1. Make a directory to mount the camera in (say) : mkdir /mnt/camera

2. Mount the camera with : mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera

THis assumes you have no other USB devices connected - if you do then you will need to change sda1.

Change into /mnt/camera and if all is well you should see your folders and files on the camera.

Graham L
12-10-2004, 02:38 PM
One problem is that it's not one of the Panasonics supported by gphoto2 which is why it doesn't automatically appear when you plug it in. ("gphoto2 supported" to Google, and the first link , to www.gphoto.org, will give you the list of 433 supported cameras so far ...)

Your best hope (at the moment --- people are adding cameras very often) is to use it as a removable memory device. If the autodetection hasn't made a mount point "/mnt/removable", you might still have problems.

With a terminal open (as root --- because the log files are owned by root) , plug the camera in. Then
tail -20 /var/log/messages should show the USB system detecting the device. It will probably complain that there is no known driver for the VendorID and ProductID it has seen. :_|

Then ls /proc/bus/usb and explore the files and directories which appear there. From memory (very unreliable ;-)) /proc/bus/usb/devices is a file which will show you what the system knows about anything plugged in. This doesn't necessarily mean the system can do anything with it.

You might have to use a USB memory card adaptor. That is a pretty cheap option now, and it will almost certainly work with no propblems.

kiwirik
12-10-2004, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the advice both of you. When the batteries recharge from my last attempt I will give both lots a crack.

Regards

Richard