PDA

View Full Version : Bad ram and is this video card ok?

nomad
11-10-2004, 03:47 PM
Hi, re: my old PC, a 200mhz. After repeated crashes of registries I did a "mem test", it found 40 odd at test 2 and a thousand odd errors at test 7. aha! My laptop (P3) had no errors and had been fine .... Does RAM breakdown overtime?

Ok, so if I do get a set of new parts for the PC, is the Ti4400 or Ti4200 ok? Are they sufficient for today's game. I dont really play games but would it to be able to in the seable future. The 4200 I found that I can get it for around $180 used.

robsonde
11-10-2004, 03:51 PM
yes ram can go bad over time.

as for the video card i cant help sorry.

metla
11-10-2004, 04:09 PM
the ti4200 is worth around $80 second hand,You can get em new for $180.

It will play most current titles,quite badly though,high detail will choke it,I wouldn't touch it if your looking to play games in the future.

Pete O\'Neil
11-10-2004, 04:17 PM
> the ti4200 is worth around $80 second hand,You can
> get em new for $180.
I beg to differ metla, most second hand Ti4200's ive seen have been going for around $150. Ive havent seen one brand new for a long time, but i guess you would know about avalibility being a retailer.

Jen C
11-10-2004, 04:22 PM
>my old PC, a 200mhz

You are wanting a new video card for this machine? I would think a basic card will do the trick as no game that requires any sort of reasonable video card will run on a 200 MHz anyway. Or is this card for a different higher spec machine?

metla
11-10-2004, 04:24 PM
Ok then,i would personally value a ti4200 at $80,if i was buying one in i would only pay 40 to 60.

lmao,i was thinking of selling mine for 80...

As to the availability,i haven't been able to source them for quite a few months,but then i haven't specificly asked a supplier to find one for me.

I see a few on Pricespy,cheapest is round the $200 mark.

nomad
12-10-2004, 02:08 PM
I would be upgraing the guts of the PC .. like the motherboard, CPU, a larger HDD. The Ti series are AGP so that would of course not work in my Pentium which only takes PCI.

For under $200 what ist he best video card? Thanks.
I would like to stay away from the Nividia nForce as much as I can.
What I plan to do is make a cheap system as they all go outdated one day and I only use it for email, MS Office etc.. and a few games. At this moment I am looking at a 2Ghz, 1GB RAM, a 20GB HDD ATA, a gigabyte or asus mobo and a good video card to hit the sweet spot for the games.

Pete O\'Neil
12-10-2004, 02:27 PM
>and a good video card to hit the sweet spot for the games.
Your going to need to spend alot more than $200 to hit the sweet spot with games. The Geforce4 Ti series is outdated and really past its used by date. Its fine if you play older games such as those based on the Q3 engine but you really need atleast a 9800PRO now-a-days.

>I would like to stay away from the Nividia nForce as much as I can.
a)whats that got to do with the video card? b)why? the nForce is one of the best chipset avaliable.

MrBeef
12-10-2004, 03:06 PM
> >my old PC, a 200mhz
>
> You are wanting a new video card for this machine? I
> would think a basic card will do the trick as no game
> that requires any sort of reasonable video card will
> run on a 200 MHz anyway. Or is this card for a
> different higher spec machine?

Yeh i was thinking along the same lines Jen, what the hell do they want a a mean as gfx card for if the computer cant even run it.

nomad
12-10-2004, 05:35 PM
oh. my mistake. i thought the nForce was a onboard graphics.

nomad
12-10-2004, 10:09 PM
Ok, to play the current games modestly how much must I spend on a video card? $200, $300, $600? How cheap can I get away with? I don't need the fastest frame rates etc... I've only got human eyes (aided by prescription lenses).

I mostly use it for MS Office, email purposes so I don't need the true gamers machine.

Pete O\'Neil
13-10-2004, 08:47 AM
Theres no point spending alot of money if your not a big gamer. What games do you intend to play? If you mostly use Office and send emails then there no point spending alot of money of the graphics card. Your original post gave me the impression that you were wanting a gaming PC on a budget. You should be able to hunt down a Radeon 9600PRO for around $200 possibly even a 9600XT, both will offer better performance in future games as they support DX9.0 which the Ti doesnt. If you keep your eyes open you may be able to pick up a second hand 9700/9800 pretty cheap as alot of gamers are in the process of upgrading to a X800/6800.