PDA

View Full Version : Hacked.what do I do now?

bejand
11-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Hi. I know nothing bout computers.A hacker got in last night and I stupidly did a system restore to a time when I knew less bout pcs than i do now.Now I am running really slowly, seem to have disabled task manager, can't load applets(whatever that means), can't access sites I used to.Apparently the confuguration has changed and I cant undo the system restore(something to do with Drive E).
Any advice would be really appreciated .
thanks

Rob99
11-10-2004, 12:31 PM
Welcome bejand
Check here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=52134&message=323275) and post back in this thread if you still have trobles, with some details about your computer and OS.

robsonde
11-10-2004, 12:33 PM
welcome....

we need a bit more info.

how do you know you have been hacked??
what happend?
what OS?
anitvirus programs?
firewall installed??

whiskeytangofoxtrot
11-10-2004, 12:40 PM
> Hi. I know nothing bout computers.

Good start.

> A hacker got in
> last night

You know this how? I thought you didn't know anything about computers? Or is this just a knee-jerk reaction to something thats popped up through Internet Exploder (sic) or a random windows bug?

The media scare-mongering of OMGZ TEH HACKERS ARE STEALING YOUR JIGGAHURTZ is really getting old.

> and I stupidly did a system restore to a
> time when I knew less bout pcs than i do now.

eh? that shouldn't matter.

> Now I am
> running really slowly, seem to have disabled task
> manager, can't load applets(whatever that means),
> can't access sites I used to.Apparently the
> confuguration has changed and I cant undo the system
> restore(something to do with Drive E).

Virus scanner. If you have one, update and run it. If you don't have one, you probably shouldn't be on the net. Obtain one, or use one of the free online scans available.

nzStan
11-10-2004, 01:21 PM
DAMNIT WTF, if you have nothing nice to say why don't you just shut the **** UP!?!?!?

whiskeytangofoxtrot
11-10-2004, 01:37 PM
> DAMNIT WTF, if you have nothing nice to say why don't
> you just shut the **** UP!?!?!?

Take your own advice. The post contained helpful information.

Fire-and-Ice
11-10-2004, 02:06 PM
> > DAMNIT WTF, if you have nothing nice to say why don't you just shut the **** UP!?!?!?
>
> Take your own advice. The post contained helpful information.

Very precious little unfortunately and you had to spoil it with your usual dripping sarcasm. X-(

I agree with Stan, just zip it up. Press F1 can certainly do without your brand of <sarcasm> "pleasantry" </sarcasm>. Take it somewhere else will you.

Fire-and-Ice
11-10-2004, 02:08 PM
Bejand, you might need to reinstall Windows to get things working again then afterwards go to the forum's FAQ section and run through the Spyware FAQ.

Biggles
11-10-2004, 02:30 PM
>Take your own advice. The post contained helpful information.

That's it. I've asked you to cut the sarcasm. I've emailed you about it, I've posted in threads where you've done it. It's a shame because you post valuable info, but the sarcastic assaults on people are totally unnecessary and not welcome, as well you know. Let me know if you want to play nice. In the mean time go play somewhere else.

drcspy
11-10-2004, 02:43 PM
woohooo !

Pete O\'Neil
11-10-2004, 02:52 PM
I have to agree with WTF on this one, theres nothing in the original poster to suggest that it was a hacker, with the exception of the poster personal opinion. Unless its a bored kiddy scripter, hackers dont target average home users, they have lil to gain from hacking ma and pa kettle's PC, and even if they do they its only to route traffic so as to make themselve less detectable. This isnt going to make your PC beep and spit out errors.

Just because Paul Holmes said hackers are evil scary people doesnt mean you should automatically associate every problem with them.

Granted WTF could have possibly posted his thread using a nicer tone.

metla
11-10-2004, 03:01 PM
So we can be banned for sarcasm?,for just having a personality that doesn't gel with the boss?

I can't see a single thing wrong with his post,apart from his tone,and shes a rough old world if thats a banabble(is that a word?) offence.

From what i can see WTF's input into this thread puts everyone else's to shame.

ah well,im sure he is havin a chuckle now.

Peter H
11-10-2004, 03:12 PM
Don't always agree with the gentleman, but in this case I think he was right. Sounded like the guy buggared it up, and tries to pass it off as a hacker. Maybe his Dad's Comp!!
Bye

beetle
11-10-2004, 03:13 PM
Who you talking to BB????

i thought WTF wasnt too bad, just blunt as usual.
no waffle, just straightforwardness, and as to the waffle -which is often a common fault about pf1 by many ( me included) it wouldnt of helped either.

but as the poster has not given too many helpful details it is best not to go off on tangents that may not be helpful or made from hear- say aspects of a persons posts, facts speak louder.

hopefully the original poster is not scared off and will post again and get that sounds like much needed help.

beetle

stu120404
11-10-2004, 04:13 PM
> Who you talking to BB????

He is talking to whiskeytangofoxtrot

> i thought WTF wasnt too bad, just blunt as usual.

Yeath, but SOME Time whiskeytangofoxtrot Can use a bit too much sarcasm & can some times be rude, One Press F1 member has all Reday left because of whiskeytangofoxtrot & who she is the other bug on this forum.....

beetle
11-10-2004, 04:24 PM
Yeah but Stu we are all sometimes blunt on here, so what is new?

People leave all the time, half of them probably have new names on here anyway, so who's to say who has really left or not?
if they have left its their loss, and pf1's loss, not the person causing the conflict, it wont worry them, but are you really sure WTF is causing probs? so he's blunt, he has knowledge and info most of us dont, ya gotta sometimes take the good with the bad.

If everyone took things personally PF1 would have fallen flat on its candy face....... there will always be a flame somewhere.

best thing is not to say anything, or report it, last word from me on this one, hopefully.:p

beetle

drcspy
11-10-2004, 04:32 PM
wtf has been more than 'blunt' at times and very nearly put me off pf1 for life...........I at the time even got personal emails from other members suggesting that I shouldn't leave and that my contributions are and have been useful and helpful. well since then I quail if I ever see that wtf has posted in anything i've contributed to and I must say my contribution rate has markedly decreased........I for one wont be sad to see wtf dissapear.........and from comments by others i'll just repeat myself 'wtf has been MORE than 'blunt' at times'

pulling hair out
11-10-2004, 04:33 PM
This was Bejand's 1st post and he obviously has a real computer problem.
Rob99's reply welcomed him to pf1 and gave Bejand a link which would have been a great help to him.
Robsonde also welcomed him and politely asked for more information that would help other posters give advice on the problem.
These guys make you feel so proud of them.

Yes, WTF's last 2 lines dealt with the problem, but the rest of his post was totally unnecessary. His manner is not welcome here on the net, nor in the real world. Does he treat the people he deals with face to face in the same way? If it is, then may I ask how many broken jaws he has been given. Why does a person, who obviously is so knowledgeable in computer and other areas insist on letting himself down in this way. It doesn't score points with anyone.

And just to show that this isn't just another ***** about WTF, I will respect his abhorrance to people who sign their posts.
[...well maybe just once... ;\ ]

drcspy
11-10-2004, 04:35 PM
interestingly..........just minutes after my 'wohoo' post earlier I suddenly and for the first time ever got some yukky emails from the gay and lesbian travel company or somesuch thing site here in nz to say thanks for signing up...........this in my xtra account which i have NEVER gotten ANY spam or similar stuff before..........i've emailed them to ask if they could provide the IP addy from which this 'signup ' was done and I'll be hoping to receive a reply and then If I get supplied with that info I'll be emailing BB to try to check if a certain EX pf1 member had the same Ip.......paraniod ?.............you bet......

bejand
11-10-2004, 04:37 PM
Thank you

My spybot gave me a list of things that shouldn't have been there and said that a 'common hacker' had managed it.Which is why I suppose I think my machine was hacked. Makes sense to me.

Yes there is a firewall installed.

Windows XP

Avast antivirus(which I have removed)and replaced with AVG.

My sons Documents showed I also had a virus (he visits a gaming site and uses Kazaa apparently not a good thing)so I guess that was a major cause of the problems. that's gone now too.

Thanks all(even the uptight ones)..a friend has spent the day here fixing it and all seems well.

drcspy
11-10-2004, 04:38 PM
and because of this I've just removed my xtra email addy from pf1 ......this is the ONLY PLACE i've EVER had that email addy on public view.......

bejand
11-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Yes..there where some nice welcomes too.

PS..I'm a girl ;P

Kame
11-10-2004, 04:40 PM
Actually WTF, has broken it down, he's read it exactly how it is and interpretted to how many of us should have read it.

Someone who knows nothing about computers, just gives it away when fingers are pointed, and that's where WTF frustration is directed at.

People in the hacking scene use to be praised and are now having their reputation disgraced by actually being labelled a hacker, because of how the media interprets it by their descriptions and actions of "hacking". It has made some people paranoid that even the smallest incident that happens to their computers, they have to find something to blame and it usually results in saying you were hacked, yet you don't know right?

Instead of finding who to blame or is at fault, just focus on getting the remedy, it's much easier to blame and that's why there is always some finger pointing, blame the wrong thing, you get the other finger back, but to get help, we need your hand in helping us get more information out of you.

We don't need your level in computer knowledge, we try to explain solutions as simple as we can and if you still can't understand how we explained it, someone else will hopefully be able to elaborate it for you, just ask.

We focus on remedies, and not who is at fault. So no need to blame. It's a pity that WTF snapped like that, although I know what he's saying and it's quite true that this blaming makes it worse, it's like being picked out of a line up, yet you were not involved in any way.

I am sure we can still help you solve your problem.

KK

whtafo
11-10-2004, 04:46 PM
> interestingly..........just minutes after my 'wohoo'
> post earlier I suddenly and for the first time ever
> got some yukky emails from the gay and lesbian
> travel company or somesuch thing site here in nz to
> say thanks for signing up...........this in my xtra
> account which i have NEVER gotten ANY spam or similar
> stuff before..........i've emailed them to ask if
> they could provide the IP addy from which this
> 'signup ' was done and I'll be hoping to receive a
> reply and then If I get supplied with that info I'll
> be emailing BB to try to check if a certain EX pf1
> member had the same Ip.......paraniod
> ?.............you bet......

God I have to make an account just to come back and deal with you.

I don't have time to waste looking for your e-mail address and then purportedly subscribing it to mailing lists, as important as you might think you are I really don't care that much about you.

Perhaps it was one of the others who have decided to support me in this thread after you yet again pulled out all your maturity.

Make of it what you will, however if the staff of PressF1 start releasing my personal details to you, be it my IP or any other details I'll quite happily declare jihad on you personally and take any other action as necessary.

pulling hair out
11-10-2004, 04:50 PM
Hi Bejand,

Sorry for assuming you were a male. Hope your future visits are more enjoyable. There's some fantastic people on this forum, so take Beetle's advice to take the good with the bad. [Although sometimes I have a tendency to retaliate,....well maybe a bit more than sometimes.]

Marg.

drcspy
11-10-2004, 04:54 PM
wow what next

Graham L
11-10-2004, 05:01 PM
whtafa:

You didn't have to make an account to "come back and deal with" anyone.

You were banned for your sustained childish nastiness. You may think you are brave and tough: abuse from behind a pseudonym is actually cowardice.

If you can't behave like a civilised person (not necessarily adult) that is your problem. Your behaviour has been offensive. Bruce has repeatedly tried to point this out to you (I believe privately as well here). He shouldn't have to. He's got better things to do.

Biggles
11-10-2004, 05:28 PM
This is not about WTF's advice, its' about the attitude. Many of you campaigned for us to have more mods because behaviour was out of control. And countless of you have complained that continual nastiness is driving people away - Metla, you know this as much as anyone so don't come the "we get banned for sarcasm now" with me.

I am tired of new posters getting greeted with this type of superior, sarcastic response when they come here looking for help. This is NOT your private club where you get to pick on people when ever it takes your fancy.

I have warned WTF to drop the sarcasm, not because I'm outlawing sarcasm on the forum but because for him it has become a habitual response to anyone who doesn’t measure up to his idea of doing their homework before posting. In other words anyone new, and since this forum is here to help everyone, not just those who done exhaustive searches on their problem before posting, that kind of approach is not welcome.

Like anyone else he's welcome back if he decides to drop cut the crap but I've warned him enough without any change in his approach for me loose patience. End of story.