PDA

View Full Version : Trying to run in Safe Mode, failed, then very bad resolution

Scattershot06
11-10-2004, 11:46 AM
I have Windows XP Pro and I tried to start in Safe Mode. I then received a long error message that Windows wasn't able to start in Safe Mode. The lettering was all white in Verdana font I believe and the background was blue. Maybe this type of display sounds familiar to some of you.
Anyway, when I tried to "Start Windows Normally" or "Start Windows In Last Good Configuration" my resolution was extremely low. The resolution was set at 640x480 I believe and the color quality was only 4 bit. However, when I tried to change these settings to normal, I was un-able to do so. The slider to increase resolution didn't work and the drop-down box under color quality only had 4-bit. I managed to get the normal display settings back by doing a System Restore.
But does anyone know why I couldn't change my dislay settings anymore? and was a SR the right thing to do? were there any alternatives?
Help on this matter is appreciated

Jen C
11-10-2004, 11:58 AM
>The lettering was all white in Verdana font I believe and the background was blue. Maybe this type of display sounds familiar to some of you.

Sounds like the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) which is what windows does when it encounters a serious error/fault. What did the message say? Did you have some issue already which is why you were trying to start in Safe Mode? Safe Mode loads the default Window drivers, so it is a bit strange that it couldn't even do that, when Normal Mode can? Guess whatever that error message said would give clues to that.

>But does anyone know why I couldn't change my dislay settings anymore? and was a SR the right thing to do? were there any alternatives?

It sounds like a video driver issue/corruption. If the drivers go walkabouts, Windows will default to the standard VGA drivers which are pretty limiting for resolution/colour bits. After the System Restore, do you have full video options still available like the full range of resolutions and colour bits? Your other alternative would be to re-install the video drivers if a System Restore didn't work or if you didn't want to use that option.