PDA

View Full Version : Outlook converted jpeg to tif??

Billy T
11-10-2004, 11:25 AM
Hi Team

I usually stick to text emails only, but I just sent an HTML email containing a picture. The pic was a 90kb jpeg but the recipient has commented that the file size was very big and asked why I had used a tif image. My answer was "I didn't" but he sent me the details and the tags clearly show it as a tif.

I have had a good look around Outlook and its help files but can't see anything suggesting that an inserted jpeg picture in an HTML email will be converted to a tif.

Firstly, is this native behaviour of Outlook or HTML to convert jpeg files to whopping great tifs when inserting pictures, and secondly, how can I prevent it in the future? Normally I would only attach files, but once in a while I want the picture to appear in the email itself.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Rob99
11-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Sounds as if it sent itself as a fax

Billy T
11-10-2004, 02:47 PM
Thanks Rob.

I can't see how that could happen though, it was a bog standard html formatted document sent in the same fashion I send all emails.

Can't see why the format would change from jpeg to tif to a fax any more than it would for an email either.

Maybe the Bermuda Triangle is holidaying in NZ :(

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

stu120404
11-10-2004, 03:05 PM
> Maybe the Bermuda Triangle is holidaying in NZ :(

LOL :D

Kame
11-10-2004, 03:27 PM
Hey Billy,

I'm just wondering if this has anything to do with the recent .jpg flaw that caused a lot of disbelief and a new AV scare, now it seems nothing is safe.

Maybe your or the receivers ISP implemented some type of fix, or maybe an update you did (sometime september) or an update the receiver did and thus resulted in a .tif formatted picture. Who knows, but it would be interesting to find out why this happen, especially since .tif isn't supported in html and would result in a missing picture box.

Other than that, it's quite confusing as to why it would happen, it could also be the file itself, it might not be a standard jpg file, maybe has a few enhancements and the header may come off that it's a .tif file, but that doesn't explain how the file size jumped.

KK

godfather
11-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Billy, does the same email sent to yourself show up as a TIFF image?

That would at least point the finger at the place its happening, yours or theirs.

Billy T
11-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Hi GF

I sent myself a copy when the original went out but can't find any way to establish the format for the embedded pictures. I've looked at the source, the headers, Uncle Tom Cobbly & all but nothing shows. In fact to further muddy the waters, only one of the two attached jpegs is shown but that at least still says jepg. I sent another with the same result.

Right clicking on one of the images gives me the option to save as a bitmap but that is all. I'm beginning to think it was at their end after all as you suggested.

Is there anywhere else I could/should look?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

godfather
11-10-2004, 05:34 PM
I am actually surprised that you found out.

Spammers never usually check the inbox after sending a load out ... ?

Billy T
11-10-2004, 05:58 PM
> I am actually surprised that you found out.
>
> Spammers never usually check the inbox after sending
> a load out ... ?

LOL GF :^O

*cough*

I wasn't spamming actually, that was the previous thread about BCC (which wasn't spam either). :D

I was sending an offer to an interested party and I needed to include photos. ;)

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :|