PDA

View Full Version : Memory Stick

JJJJJ
11-10-2004, 07:00 AM
What exactly is a USB memory stick? Do you poke it in a usb hole and copy to it? Is it suitable for backups?
How do you send data to it?
Is it just an updated floppy disk?
Jack

Jen C
11-10-2004, 07:15 AM
> What exactly is a USB memory stick? Do you poke it in
> a usb hole and copy to it?

Yes, that is basically how it works. Once inserted into a USB plug, it will show up as a removable drive that you can read/write to and from.

> Is it suitable for backups?

No, not really although you could if you wish, but a CD or DVD would be more suitable for backup purposes. It is more used for moving files about between computers etc and the convience of having a small compact device which is easy to carry.

> How do you send data to it? Is it just an updated floppy disk?

You just use Windows explorer to drag and drop files to the drive. So basically it is like a floppy disk in that respect, except the whole device is removable from the system.

They are really handly to have if you do move files between computers and if they are too large to email or fit on a floppy, and you don't want to waste a CD. The USB flash drives come in various sizes up to 1 gig now, and the lower end of the memory size eg 256MB are quite cheap - example (http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?102067). If you do decide to get one, make sure your model uses USB 2.0.

Chilling_Silence
11-10-2004, 07:32 AM
pricespy.co.nz shows some places even have it cheaper :-)

I would say they're fine for backups, but the estimated writes to the drive is something like 1,000,000 writes before it's unreliable.

This to me seems like more than enough for day-to-day backups. After a year, backup whats on it to CD-R and then get a replacement.

I use my 256MB Drive for backups, and have it partitioned (2x 128mb) so I use the first Fat32 on any PC and keep the likes of WinRAR, AVG etc on it. My second partition I keep is AES-256 Encrypted Reiser4, nice and safe :-)

Chill.

andrew93
11-10-2004, 07:57 AM
...and once you buy a memory stick you will wonder how you ever did without one...

pulling hair out
11-10-2004, 11:17 AM
>>I use my 256MB Drive for backups, and have it partitioned (2x 128mb) so I use the first Fat32 on any PC and keep the likes of WinRAR, AVG etc on it.

Do you mean you keep a copy of the AVG program on it or do you actually run AVG on it?

Also are there any particular makes that are preferable overall? I'm about to buy one from the firm who sold me my notebook, partly because they are also installing some more Ram in my notebook as well.

Marg.

metla
11-10-2004, 11:34 AM
Like all things it is best to avoid cheap brands that you have never heard of.

Apart from that i have had trouble getting a Kingmax replaced after it failed so i won't be touching that brand again,Currently im using a transend one,its small, sleek and works.

Before that i think i had a liteon,which was used daily and went for appox 2 years before giving up the ghost.

pulling hair out
11-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Thanks Metla,
This is a really new area to me and I don't know any of the brands. Will keep transend and Liteon in mind.

regards, Marg