PDA

View Full Version : Bazza re battery chargers

Misty
10-10-2004, 05:53 PM
Hi Bazza
In thread 51804 we talked about digital cameras and you offered to identify which were good chargers. With all the complexity of buying a camera and extra capacity I did not think to take you up on that. Nevertheless the charger I bought is still in its plastic wrap. It is a Powerbase "Standard Charger" that can re-charge 2 or 4 ( I need it to do 4) batteries AA/AAA size.
It comes with 4 X 2300 MAh batteries (so, at least, I am very sure of those thanks to you and godfather !).

Shall I take off the wrap please ?
Misty

godfather
10-10-2004, 07:01 PM
Are you expecting us to dash off the the shops to find all "Power Base" chargers to determine if its likely to be OK?
Its just that there are ~127 different makes and models out there.

Perhaps you could post what the essential qualities are from the packaging? Is it an "intelligent" charger, for instance?

I have a powerbase one out in the shed, as an example and it cost $3.
I would not recommend that one (though it would work to an extent).

So, what you are saying is "I have this piece of string, how long is it"? when only you can see it. If you follow our difficulty.

Misty
10-10-2004, 07:53 PM
See what you mean godfather - beg your pardon !

It says it has "reverse polarity protection".

Batteries can be recharged up to 1,000 times without "memory effect"

Best performance especially for high drain applications.

Use with CD player; camera; Gameboy; PDA

Model no is C202A/Q105B

Output AA - 2 X (2.8 vdc 150 mA)
AAA - 2 X (2.8vdc 50 mA)

Class 2 plugin - NiMH and Ni -cd

As to intelligence - nothing said ( but it may be more intelligent than me !)

Misty :D

godfather
10-10-2004, 09:02 PM
I do suspect that the charger could be out of the shallow end of the gene pool.

150 mA suggests its a plain simple charger wth no electronic delta-v control.

As an indication that would take about 20 hours to fully charge your batteries. Take the 2300 mAh and divide it by the charger mA (150) = 15 hours, plus about 20% for losses gives 18+ hours.

My Lenmar model PRO744 (also sold under many other brands and models) does it in 3 or 4 hours, and you can leave the batteries in it for weeks without adverse effect. 600 mA rated. Works from a cigarette lighter in a car as well.

Looks like this
http://www.adorama.com/LRPRO744.html

Bazza
10-10-2004, 09:44 PM
Gee Misty, did I say that? Dont think so. As I recall I offered to suggest good chargers, rather than identify chargers.

As GF Says, how can we know about all chargers?

The specs you list of that charger dont look promising, as GF has said.

GF also asks: is it an "intelligent" charger. That is important.

After using AA NiMh for some years, & trying several chargers, I can recommend these chargers. They are both "intelligent" chargers.

The Maha 204, from Thomas engineering.

The LightningPack 4000N.

Both are semi fast chargers, about 2 hours more or less depending on the Mah of the bats. They also can condition/discharge bats..Being intelligent, they detect the end of charge, and automaticaly switch to trickle charge, to top up the bats for some more hours if you wish.

These , & GF's recommendation will be fine. Try a google search for the chargers & Thomas engineering. Much information there.

The charger is imporant, to get the most from the bats..