PDA

View Full Version : Trademe.co.nz buying guide

Nighthawk
10-10-2004, 02:14 PM
hello, i have a faulty video adapter (geforce fx 5200)
its a crap card as you all know, and i want to upgrade it.
most of the new cards cost alot so i went to my 2nd alternative
Trademe.co.nz
i went there and bidded on a radeon 9800 pro
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Video-cards/auction-16673609.htm

i won the auction at a bid of 350$, the reserve was 490$
the seller offered me a fixed price of 419$ i want to accept, but....
my parents dont think its safe. they say
"what if it doesn't work, you can't get a refund, its too risky!!!"
as u can see they need a little persuation

does anybody have any ideas or tips that would help this trade become possible and safe? like a 10 day refund incase of problems etc.

another idea was to ask the seller to install it on my pc to test it out 1st, either this or i buy it and get someone to install it or i just try it miself, although i dont know how to install a video card. what do you think?

cheers
James

btw, im pretty sure it will work on my system

althlon 2500+
512mb ram (upgrading this too)
windows xp
300W psu (upgrading this too)
geforce fx 5200
40gb hd

Nighthawk
10-10-2004, 02:16 PM
link didn't work
this one should:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Components/Video-cards/auction-16673609.htm

Nighthawk
10-10-2004, 02:18 PM
argh ok for some reason the link doesn't work when posted here :S
ill just copy paste the details:

ATI Radeon 9800 New - ex demo
RADEON® 9800 series of visual processors is the most visually advanced 3D performer on the planet, delivering an immersive, cinematic experience for the most demanding next-generation games with 128MB of DDR memory and a 256-bit memory interface. Merging advanced stability with revolutionary features, RADEON® 9800 series is the only Visual Processing family in its 3rd generation.
At-a-glance:
RADEON® 9800 series is the ultimate accelerator of the most demanding next-generation 3D titles, scenes and environments
Featuring highly programmable cinematic shader engines and support for the latest Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 and OpenGL® feature sets
Experience unparalleled 3D visual realism with the advanced engineering of ATI technology

Frame Buffer 128MB DDR
Memory Interface 256-bit
Rendering Pipelines 8
Pixel Fillrate (Gpixels/sec) 2.6
Engine Clock (MHz) 325
Memory Clock (MHz) 580
Output Connections VGA + TV + DVI

Up to 2048 x 1536 85 Hz

http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9800/radeon9800pro/index.html

Info on seller:
BeatMan@xtra.co.nz
beatman (183 )
99% positive feedback
Member since February 2003
Address Verified February 2004
Shipping: Pickup or $5.95 Freight, Packaging charges
Payment: cash, bank deposit
SafeTrader: Doesn't support SafeTrader

I live on Northshore also, so thats why its a +

Curious George
10-10-2004, 02:26 PM
LISTEN TO YOUR PARENTS!!!!
Sorry, but I think they are right, for the wrong reasons though...
http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_16.html
Yuo can buy a new one for $380, so why would yuo bother paying more for a second hand one?
Can you save up more and get a better one than a 98pro?

Curious George
10-10-2004, 02:34 PM
Heehee, I see you have been quite keen to get a card on trademe!
I have had a bit of luck on trademe, sellers were good, and products matched descriptions, there are some real bargins out there, but yours aint one of them!
I don't know what the best card for your money is at the moment is, but google 'Tom's Hardware' and 'overclockers nz' and have a look on the forums. Make sure to have a good read first, and ask a question.
*make sure to read the FAQ first though*

Curious George
10-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Heehee, I see you have been quite keen to get a card on trademe!
I have had a bit of luck on trademe, sellers were good, and products matched descriptions, there are some real bargins out there, but yours aint one of them!
I don't know what the best card for your money is at the moment is, but google 'Tom's Hardware' and http://forums.overclockers.co.nz and have a look on the forums. Make sure to have a good read first, and ask a question.
*make sure to read the FAQ first though*

Nighthawk
10-10-2004, 03:46 PM
yea about that, i kinda over bidded on multiple items...
I HOPE I DONT WIN!!! i accidentally bidded on a 9600 instead of 9800!
i tried making fony details and changing my accounts email address lol

alphazulusixeightniner
10-10-2004, 03:51 PM
Remember that card in the auction is possibly an Ati Original, which are built to better quality, faster RAM than the cheaper GeXcube ones which you see on PriceSpy. Some of the good Ati 9800pros go for about $500+ new. Though most 9800pros are built either by Sapphire or Ati and then rebadged by other OEMs.

See if you can ask the buyer what the part # and BIOS # on the cards are. Or what kind of packaging/branding is on the box???

Then you can look up the part# or BIOS# on the Ati site (support section) and see if it's an Ati orginal etc.

There is always SafeTrader, and for something like an expensive video card purchase it is highly recommended. It would only add about $20 onto the price and then if you don't like the card, or there's something wrong with it, then you don't have to pay for it and can just send it back. Much safer way. Ask them if they want to do this, and if they don't (even if you're paying) then tell them you are going somewhere else.

Though once you've done SafeTrader that would be $420 + $20 = $440 and you could basically buy a new MSI 9800 Pro with the XT core.

Exwesty
10-10-2004, 04:00 PM
thanks
yea about that, i kinda over bidded on multiple items...
I HOPE I DONT WIN!!! i accidentally bidded on a 9600 instead of 9800!
i tried making fony details and changing my accounts email address lol

A more polite way would be to ask the seller to remove your bid. They do have the ability.

Nighthawk
10-10-2004, 04:14 PM
i would if i could, im not a 'authenticicated member' or whatever its spelt like. so i can't contact the seller unless i win

Nighthawk
10-10-2004, 04:19 PM
ive found a nice little place called XPComputers
they've got a gecube radeon 9800pro 128mb for $300 odd

while im there id like a new psu
but are any of these good? theres no antecs!
http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/index.php?cPath=66&osCsid=43cdecf57a3fee0871cfb623922f62ca

also xp computers is at:
31 Kingdon Street,Newmarket.
im on the northshore, i hope its not 2 far away

Exwesty
10-10-2004, 04:35 PM
to remove a bid just place a question on the auction asking the seller to remove you bid, what can be easier than that

lagbort
10-10-2004, 05:39 PM
no all of those psu suck to put it bluntly

get a enermax or if you really must a thermaltake

Pete O\'Neil
10-10-2004, 05:41 PM
> Remember that card in the auction is possibly an Ati
> Original, which are built to better quality, faster
> RAM than the cheaper GeXcube ones which you see on
> PriceSpy.
Umm with the exception of MSI, Abit, ASUS, and Gigabyte all ATI cards are manufactuered by Saphire, theres not such thing as a poor quality card. The only thing that differs are the HSF and sometimes the RAM. But as long as the RAM is running and the specified speed then there no problems. The best value 9800PRO avaliable at the moment is the MSI 9800PRO, super quality, large software/game bundle and a R360 core. It is possible to flash the MSI card into a 128mb 9800XT which is a nice bonus.

alphazulusixeightniner
10-10-2004, 06:57 PM
> Umm with the exception of MSI, Abit, ASUS, and Gigabyte all ATI cards are manufactuered by Saphire, theres not such thing as a poor quality card. The only thing that differs are the HSF and sometimes the RAM. But as long as the RAM is running and the specified speed then there no problems.

Right, but the cheapest ones on Pricespy aren't necessarily as good. Ie GeXcube, which has different RAM and they often underclock the card.

Big_Mountain
10-10-2004, 08:19 PM
Im pretty sure the card will be fine, especially when the trader has got a lot of good feedbacks. I do admitt it is a little bit of a risk buying a card from someone you don't know just in case it doesn't work for any reason. XP Computers is a good place to get computer parts, I bought some parts from there myself, a CDRW and 256mb Ram.

Nighthawk
11-10-2004, 07:49 AM
I CAN'T IM NOT A FULL MEMBER!

Nighthawk
11-10-2004, 07:53 AM
*ehem* ah yes... unfortunately im too late, the card's been sold to someone else. however there is another on auction (original by ati) for $410 but i think ill concentrate on a proper shop now. *sigh* someone would make a killing with up to date good computer part buying guide.

Nighthawk
11-10-2004, 08:01 AM
holy moly
that MSI card is top dollar, and look at all the gorgeous features!

http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=790&osCsid=43cdecf57a3fee0871cfb623922f62ca

RADEON™ 9800 Series Chipset Features

• Quad-Pipe architecture delivers real-time cinematic rendering and animation.
• THRUVIEW™ creates live, translucent TV, video and DVD windows for easy desktop access.
• Radio frequency wireless remote adds the flexibility of a hand held, 30 foot user interface.
• New EAZYLOOK™ full-sized programming grid offers theme controls and single click
navigation.
• MulTView™ enables dual TV tuner capabilities including Picture-in-Picture and independent
channel surfing. (Additional ATI TV WONDER™ is required for this to work.)
• Add effects, transitions and sound to videos with Pinnacle Studio software.
• Save projects to VideoCD and DVD formats or output to digital ready television.
• VideoSoap™ provides filtering techniques that improve sharpness and smooth blurry motion
for high quality personal video.
• Capture pictures and video at up to 30 frames per second.
• Output to HDTV ready devices with ALL-IN-WONDER®'s video output component adapter
• 128MB DDR memory to generate the most detailed and immersive gaming experiences
without sacrificing frame rates.
• 256-bit memory interface delivers bandwidth for real-time 3D visuals and barrier-free
performance.
• 8-pixel pipeline architecture doubles the rendering power of any competing product currently
on the market.
• SMARTSHADER™ 2.1 offers complete DirectX® 9.0 support, enabling cinematic quality
lighting effects.
• SMOOTHVISION™ 2.1delivers the sharpest, clearest textures.
• Comprehensive AGP 8X/4X/2X support.
• RADEON 9800 PRO Visual Processing Unit. (VPU)
• One display (VGA or DVI) simultaneously connected with a TV or VCR.
• YPrPb output adapter (available in North America only)
• Core Clock: 378 MHz
• Memory Clock: 338 MHz
• 2D Display Modes: Resolutions, colors and maximum refresh rates(Hz) in 256, 65K or 16.7M
colors

System Requirements

To install the VGA card, your computer system needs to meet the following requirements:
• RADEON™ 9800 Series of products requires connection to your PC's internal power supply for
peration. Consult your system builder or OEM to ensure your system has an adequate power
supply. Otherwise, a 300-Watt power supply or greater will be recommended to ensure
normal system operation where a number of other internal devices are installed.
• Intel® Pentium® 4/III/II/Celeron , AMD K6/Athlon or compatible with AGP 8X/4X/2X slot.
• 128MB of system memory.
• Installation software requires CD-ROM drive.
• DVD playback requires DVD drive
• Interactive Program guide requires Internet connection for listing updates.
• Operation System Support: Windows® XP / 2000

seems to be loaded! but really all i want is the card, and maybe a halflife2 coupon :-D

Winston001
11-10-2004, 11:07 AM
> someone would make a killing with up to date good
> computer part buying guide.

Subtle irony here. You won't pay $10 into credit (it is still your money) for Trademe, but you'll pay to access a buying guide???? ?:|

Pete O\'Neil
11-10-2004, 11:42 AM
> Right, but the cheapest ones on Pricespy aren't
> necessarily as good. Ie GeXcube, which has different
> RAM and they often underclock the card.
The cheap ones are fine, aslong and you know what your looking for then theres no problems. All you need to do is make sure the model you intend to buy has the core @ 380MHz and the RAM @ 680MHz. You also need to make sure the card also has a 256bit memory interface and all 8pipelines enabled. If you take those basic steps then theres no difference between a cheap Gexcube and an expensive ASUS or Abit card.

I have heard that the NZ distributer for Gexcube has gone bust and they're now only selling old stock and that no new cards are coming into the country. This could cause a problem with warrenties etc.

metla
11-10-2004, 12:15 PM
Who was the NZ distributer?

Nighthawk
11-10-2004, 03:50 PM
xp computers?

Nighthawk
11-10-2004, 03:55 PM
oh yea, according to that MSI radeon 9800 pro that you reccommended

it says Quad-Pipe architecture, although it does say 8-pixel pipeline architecture

its 256bit and 128mb

sounds decent, untill
• Memory Clock: 338 MHz
thats cut in half if im correct :'( so is this card not worth buying then?

Nighthawk
11-10-2004, 04:07 PM
here's something cheaper than msi and better

ATI Radeon Triplex EYE 9800pro 128mb ddr/DVI
http://www.triplex.com.tw/triplex_english/eyebombx800xt_2.htm

EYE¡DBOMB X800XT ¢x SPECIFICATIONS
RADEON 9800 PRO Visual Processing Unit (VPU)
380 MHz VPU Clock
680 MHz Memory Clock
128/256MB of DDR SDRAM
256-bit DDR memory interface
Dual 400 MHz RAMDAC
Eight parallel rendering pipelines
Four parallel geometry engines

what do you think?

Nighthawk
11-10-2004, 04:13 PM
the geXcube has 378mhz clock speed and 400mhz ramdac speed

Pete O\'Neil
11-10-2004, 04:14 PM
God damm Triplex are tricky bastards, calling a 9800PRO a X800XT, hmm i wouldnt touch a triplex card with a 10ft barge pole, no particular reason just dont like them. Especially after they call a 9800PRO a X800 thats jsut out of line, i pity the poor fools who buy it thinking theyve got a cheap X800. But in saying that using my own reasoning they should be perfectly fine.

Oh and for the memory on the MSI card, whats 338x2? Its DDR after all ;)

Nighthawk
11-10-2004, 05:29 PM
so your saying the msi is still better even with the low ram clock speed?
damn msn wont sign in
lol @ triplex, they call it a x800xt but it says 9800pro below that
perhaps it means its a high performer 9800
by the way what does OEM even mean...? :-)

are you sure
• Memory Clock: 338 MHz is decent????

Nighthawk
11-10-2004, 05:33 PM
oooh ok so ddr means you double the speed
so the msi is 676mhz not 338
if so then wouldn't card with 600mhz ram speed be 1200mhz :S

Pete O\'Neil
11-10-2004, 05:42 PM
> oooh ok so ddr means you double the speed
> so the msi is 676mhz not 338
> if so then wouldn't card with 600mhz ram speed be
> 1200mhz :S
Not necessarily the majority of manufactuers advertise the RAM speed at the double rate, just a few like MSI dont. It doesnt really matter, as when your looking to buy new hardware you should have done your research and already know this.

I would buy the MSI card, but thats just my personal opinion there should be anything wrong with the triplex card.

Pete O\'Neil
11-10-2004, 05:46 PM
>perhaps it means its a high performer 9800
Not likely, its got the same clock speed as every other 9800PRO on the market, its just marketing BS. Isn't this false advertising? Perhaps one of the forums legals eagle's knows?

Oh and while i remember, all 9800PROs have the core @ 378 and the RAM @ 676, some manufactuers just round the numbers up to 380MHz and 680MHz.

Billy T
11-10-2004, 07:03 PM
> by the way what does OEM even mean...? :-)

Original Equipment Manufacture:

Hardware or software that is installed at the time of manufacture and does not come with the full 9 yards of packaging & information. I think OEM software is usually licensed to the specific computer and is not tranferable to other machines even if the original is destroyed, but I could be wrong on that.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Prescott
11-10-2004, 07:20 PM
when i first brought something off trademe (radeon 9600) my olds were like that too, i just looked at the cheapest one and brought it, seller had good feedback, make sure you check that. and keep in contact when you money is being sent/cheque being cleared. and all went well :D

Nighthawk
11-10-2004, 09:43 PM
thanks alot ppl, good feedback. :)

seems i have to wait till i finish EXAMS :| before i can get one anyway.
im quiet interested in that triplex card as it has good ratings for game performance, but ill keep open minded

Prescott
12-10-2004, 06:32 PM
> thanks alot ppl, good feedback. :)
>
> seems i have to wait till i finish EXAMS :| before i
> can get one anyway.

well its only like 4 or so weeks away. when you get it you might wanna run it on omega drivers and so you can oc it

Nighthawk
12-10-2004, 09:58 PM
im not sure if i will overclock
my mother board is an ASUS AV7600 / VIA KT600
it supports oc and cpu protection but on reviews it couldn't overclock to a decent level without crashing.

unless im sure of what im doing i probably wont bother
anyway the radeon 9800 comes with a flimsy cooling device so id need a new 1 if i overclocked it...dunno

hey when u post on this site look @ the banner in the top right it shows a pic of the tropics... looks just like farcry

Nighthawk
12-10-2004, 10:10 PM
HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ok after looking at all your advice im gonna go with:

MSI RADEON 9800PRO with that good core that can flash to XT

Hynix 512mb PC3200 DDR 400 Ram NZ$149.00+GST

Creative SBS250 2-Channel Speaker, 5W RMS per channel NZ$25.00+GST

Headphone & microphone set NZ$7.80+GST

all thats missing is a decent power supply
then i came across this site

http://www.pcalpha.co.nz/index.php?cPath=25_77

they have a huge selection of enermax and antec psu's!! which one should i get?? theres so many its hard to decide, im looking for 430W or higher

Pete O\'Neil
13-10-2004, 08:51 AM
The Enermex Noisetaker 420w will be more than enough, supposivly very quite aswell which is a nice bonus.

Nighthawk
13-10-2004, 06:01 PM
my budget is around $600 at the moment
altogether its: $742.80
overclockers.co.nz has some good reviews

Pete O\'Neil
13-10-2004, 06:11 PM
A Antec Truepower 380w would probably be alright if the budgets a bit tight.

Nighthawk
14-10-2004, 07:51 AM
k, its times like these when i think to myself...
why
why am i spashing all my hard earned 9 to 5 cash on some silly thing that makes my computer faster

and then i think of Half-life 2, and it all comes back to me :D