PDA

View Full Version : Norton Anti Virus 2002

Roly Duff
10-10-2004, 01:54 PM
I run Win 98SE. I get the following message when I attempt to download NAV updates.
"LU 1841: Connection to ISP failed. Live Update could not contact your ISP. Verify your dial-up info is correct."
My ISP is ihug who says I should contact Norton, which is easier said than done. They no longer have a phone service For NAV 2002 and the
options provided in their website are too large to work through. All other connections to the internet work perfectly.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Jen C
10-10-2004, 02:22 PM
Try downloading manually the latest updates, and then running NAV to make sure you don't have any nasties which are interferring with NAV's settings. You can find instructions here for using the Intelligent Updater instead of the Live Updater, including a link to your applicable definition updates.
How to update virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater (http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/1998082013035306?OpenDocument&ExpandSection=1&Src=sec_web_nam#_Section1)

If for some reason the above link does not work for you, go to the main page here (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html) and follow the links for Intelligent Updater.

Pauline
10-10-2004, 08:07 PM
Hi Roly & Jen,
I am still having trouble with that damn Symantec Redirector, the 1633.6KB one. I can get the live updates so hopefully the Redirector one isn't important or is it?
Norton's is always telling me that I don't have the latest updates because of the Redirector problem. Have even gone & done what is says for LU1806.
We have uninstalled & reinstalled Systemworks 2002 but still no go.
I don't remember the Redirector ever being part of Live Update previously or if it was it was not an issue then.
I can put up with unticking the Redirector file but would like reassurance that the updates I get are OK on their own.
Win ME, Norton Systemworks 2002.
Pauline.

tweak\'e
10-10-2004, 10:48 PM
check your liveupdate is set to not manage the connection.

are you useing any add blocking software or setup (eg host file) ?

mikebartnz
11-10-2004, 12:22 AM
Today for those that may be interested I removed Norton Anti Virus 2002 from two PC's one 98 other ME and both low specked and replaced with AVG. They were both considerably faster after.

Roly Duff
11-10-2004, 01:10 PM
Pauline; I had the same problem which I fixed by going to Windows Update and downloading "Roots Certificate Update". This is not on the critical list but further down on the page. The trouble you are having is that there are too many letters in the NAV down load to be recognized by the computer....I think. Also several NAV updates are almost the same size and have the same named, so don't be fooled as I was into thinking they are the same. Take a note of the size each time.
Roly

Roly Duff
11-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Thanks Jen...This did the trick
Roly

Roly Duff
11-10-2004, 02:41 PM
Thanks Mike but wat is AVG please
Roly

yingxuan
11-10-2004, 02:53 PM
I use norton 2004 on my 200mhz computer and i must say Its extremely slow.I now have norton anti virus 2003.haven't been bothered to install norton utilities yet as it takes like an hour for me to install.
Avg is another virus protector and its free.
You can find it here http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/