PDA

View Full Version : pool game

Potto
10-10-2004, 12:59 PM
I have a Me system on my computer.
Just recently, my computer crashed and I had to get a comp. technician to re-install everything from scratch. However, after he had finished and left the premises, I discovered that I didn't give him my Multi Media Pool cd rom to install. As the cd hasn't got Me system compatible on it, I can't get it to play when I insert the cd into the drive. It does work as previous technicians have got it going, and I've been playing it every day for months. I don't feel like getting the technician just for this, as they are pretty costly, so if anyone over there in Kiwiland can give me a few tips, I would be most grateful.
POTTO.

Jen C
10-10-2004, 01:43 PM
Is this the same game here (http://www.softwareclearance.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=650)? It says it is WinME compatible.

>I can't get it to play when I insert the cd into the drive.

Do you mean after inserting the CD into the drive, it doesn't autorun and pop up with a play menu or the installation menu? Or does it give a error message after you start the game or installation?

What stage are you up to - haven't managed to install it, or it is installed but won't start/play?

Potto
10-10-2004, 07:25 PM
Hi Jen C,
Yes that is the same game from Soft Key that you suggest.When I insert the cd into either of the drives, the little green light flickers a bit, and nothing happens from there. I then had a look at the files, and there were quite a few there about Pool, but when I went to open them, a message came up saying that if I opened them, it could cause the system to crash, and I certainly don't want that. It is not installed, I think that it has just got the files through or whatever.It can't be too much to install it, as when I saw a technician install it a few months back, he had it done in a few seconds. However, me being a bit of a novice in the computer world, it's got me beat.
On the back of the cd, there is a little square saying that it compatible with Windows"95 and Windows"3.1, but just above that, It says Windows 3.1 or later.

Jen C
10-10-2004, 07:55 PM
On the CD, is there a file called setup.exe or install.exe? Try double-clicking that and see if it launches the installer program.

Potto
10-10-2004, 08:40 PM
I typed in MultiMedia Pool, and the only files that were there were........
SPOOLSSDLL
WINSPOOLDRV.
SPOOL32

I double clicked on them, and up came the message, These files are used by the operating system and by various programs. Editing or modifying them could damage your sysyem. If you still want toopen the file, click Open with, otherwise, click cancel.

Jen C
10-10-2004, 08:47 PM
No, you need to open up the CD drive with Windows Explorer and manually look for the files. If you look under My Computer, you should see the CD drive (possibly D:) and if you double click on it, it should open up.

>SPOOLSSDLL
>WINSPOOLDRV.
>SPOOL32
These are all system files for your system (ME), and are not located on the CD in the drive. You must not of selected the D drive to search on. Look manually as suggested above, and don't use the search function.

Potto
10-10-2004, 09:10 PM
Well, I just about had it, but things came to a halt when I got on to the install part. A sign came up saying............Please choose your installation directory on a fxed or removeable drive. Make your choice and press enter or click on ok.
Please type a valid path including drive and ":\"
I typed in d":\" and nothing happened.

Jen C
10-10-2004, 09:16 PM
Well you are getting there! You need to select c:\ drive to install it on as this is where WinME is installed. The d drive is the CD drive. :)

wintertide
10-10-2004, 09:17 PM
D:\ probably will be your CD drive. Try typing in C:\ and it should install for you. :)

Potto
10-10-2004, 09:42 PM
What do know, I've got it at last. The game is going perfect, so thanks a lot for all your help. I really appreciate it.

POTTO,

Potto
10-10-2004, 09:45 PM
Thanks for your help, typing in the C did the trick.
POTTO

Jen C
10-10-2004, 09:47 PM
> What do know, I've got it at last. The game is going
> perfect, so thanks a lot for all your help. I really
> appreciate it.

Well done! Knew you would get it sorted. :)