PDA

View Full Version : My CD-RW [Q:/ drive] has disappeared from My Computer

ntddevsys
09-10-2004, 08:01 PM
Good Evening,
About a month ago I noticed that my CD-RW drive had disappeared from My Computer; problem is I need to burn a few disks.

I presume this means that the cables have become detached in my computer, is there anyway to check this without opening the whole thing up ?

Thanks

Spacemannz
09-10-2004, 08:17 PM
Nope there is no way other than to open the case, if u think the cable has come off or something. Check the BIOS and see if the CDRW is on AUTO.

When u bootup, does it detect the cd at all? Does it say the brand/model of the cd on bootup?

And what version of Windows are u using?? Whats device manager say for the burner?? Any X's or anything beside the entry??

ntddevsys
10-10-2004, 07:15 PM
Thanks,
I can see now that I should have included more information. I'm using XP.

On bootup it is not detected and it seems to have disappeared from the device manager/BIOS, yet the drive is still physically in my computer. I also cannot get the drive to open.

Seems I'll be opening it up later.

Spacemannz
10-10-2004, 07:33 PM
It sounds like the power going to it in the case has come off. If it cant open. Thats why the BIOS cant detect it when u boot up. Yup, I would open the case, check the power going to the burner. And check the ide connection too thats connected to the burner.