PDA

View Full Version : Sending text msgs to cell phones (via internet)

Kirk
09-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Can you actually do this? Everyone I ask tells me a different story.
They seem to think it's possible but no-one knows how!
The best solution I found was ICQ but after stting it up, and trying for several hours, all I'd get was a message to try again later. The Network concerned was Vodafone.

Thanks - Kirk

Codex
09-10-2004, 05:44 PM
Hey their Kirk welcome to press f1, simply go to the vodafone website (http://www.vodafone.co.nz) and register your mobile fone on their, then go to web-2-txt

Enjoy :D

Codex

Exwesty
09-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Text via ICQ used to be the case but I believe Vodaphone may have stopped it as they wern't recieving their pound of flesh for handling the txt as it were. There also used to be a Vodaphone website called Vavazzi? that allowed you to send web to txt but only 5-10 messages a day for free.
Telecom also had a similar deal for 025 whereby each 025 had a webmail address and you could email to the phone free free but they also killed it off.

Why - I suppose they offered it free at 1st, get people to use it, make it 'essential' then ratchet up the price and hereby create a revenue stream.

If you find another way tell us all

Exwesty
09-10-2004, 05:54 PM
web2txt

Ha ha read the terms and conditions
17 cents per txt + GST, no cheaper than doing it on your phone

Prescott
09-10-2004, 06:10 PM
>
>
> web2txt
>
> Ha ha read the terms and conditions
> 17 cents per txt + GST, no cheaper than doing it on
> your phone

depends, if you are on boost it is more expensive but not on vodafone or telecom(20c last time i looked)

DangerousDave
09-10-2004, 08:09 PM
I wish it was possible to send free txts. Oh well, I guess i'll have to get used to 10c txt till the end of October. After that I figure it'll be just as easy to ring people (49c/min on motormouth).

I remember going through about 10 different programs to try and get free txt, ICQ worked best for a while but is now defunct :(. Nothing else works, oh well - no such thing as a free lunch ;)

- David

andrew93
09-10-2004, 09:57 PM
There was some freeware about 8 or 9 years ago called "Easy Page" (or was it ezy page?) - dos based, freeware, billed to your telecom a/c @ about 10c/text (I think, can't remember), used for sending messages to pagers and it used the modem. I'm about to resurrent it, if I can find it, and give it a whirl. I'll keep you posted.
A

Kirk
10-10-2004, 07:16 PM
Hi All, and thank you for the comments. I should have said I don't have a cell phone. Will check out web2txt. Pity the other options have ceased.

Cheers - Kirk