PDA

View Full Version : 'closing' a CD-R????

Meg_h_nz
09-10-2004, 02:35 AM
HI all :-)
Hope you are having a fantastic morning!
I have been transferring file etc from my old pc to my new one and I am having some problems.
I donít know how to 'close' the CDs once I have written the info from my old pc so the new pc says the disk contains no files.
I usually just drag the folders in Windows Explorer and write them that way.
Is there a simple way to close them?
Any help appreciated

Meg

drb1
09-10-2004, 02:37 AM
What writing programs are you using?
What disk formats are you using?

Ect Ect?

D.

Meg_h_nz
09-10-2004, 03:17 AM
My OS is Win ME and I have been clicking and dragging the files to the cd writer, no software necessary. My CD-Writer is an HP and I do have HP disk writing software but the same thing happened with that.

drb1
09-10-2004, 03:36 AM
an o/s and wrting s/w I am not familuar with.

Are you filling the c/d up or using multi session,

something is not ending the session.

D.

4bes
09-10-2004, 04:24 AM
sounds like you might be using a HP program that is similar to direct CD or INCD which support dragging a file to your CD writer.
Try using the HP disk writing software and look for a box to tick to close the CD. I'm not familiar with this program so I can't tell you where it would be. It may be in the same area as where you select the writing speed.
Also try and write the CD as 'Disk at once' rather then 'Track at once'

godfather
09-10-2004, 10:11 AM
Windows ME has no "native" CD writing support like XP has, so it must be a "packet writer" such as InCD or DirectCD that you are unknowingly using, to be able to drag and drop.

These packet writers use a proprietary CD format that is not readable on another PC unless the same software is installed.

My advice is to avoid this method, as its quite unreliable.

Use the HP software to burn a CD in the normal manner.

Meg_h_nz
09-10-2004, 11:06 AM
Many thanks to all who answered my question.
I have taken your advice and am using HP My CD to write the disks. It is working well.
Have a fantastic weekend

Meg