PDA

View Full Version : Networking computers

michael8
08-10-2004, 10:44 PM
I have 2 computers both using WinXp and are networked together and I set them both up using the 'network setup wizard'. On the host computer I go to My Computer, My Network Places, and View Workgroup Computers. I see the name fo the client computer and when I double click it I get the following error:

"\\Computer2 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resources. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The Network path was not found."

Note:Computer2 is the computer name of the client computer.

I have made sure all my firewalls are turned off but I still can't access the client computer. How can I access the other computer?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thankyou,
Michael

Rob99
08-10-2004, 10:48 PM
Map a network drive form Computer1.

godfather
08-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Read through this.
http://www3.primushost.com/~ckollars/networkingxp.html

Growly
08-10-2004, 10:53 PM
You should also try creating identical user accounts on both computers, even if they are "Guest".

Alternatively, you could do as rob suggested and map the drive, using this command:

Start --> Run --> net use drive: \\computer\sharename password /USER:username

So, if the computer's name was "computer", the sharename was "cdrive", the username was "administrator", the password was "John" and you want to map it to z: drive, the command should look like this:

net use z: \\computer\cdrive John /USER:administrator

Hope that helps.

Blue_face
09-10-2004, 01:03 AM
try share your folders in both of ur computer.

michael8
09-10-2004, 03:03 PM
Hi,

I've decide to try and set up my home network on my computers again. How do I delete the current network that is set up on both computers?

Michael

Spacemannz
09-10-2004, 03:29 PM
Just change the ips etc whatever youve done BUT do it manually. NOT with the wizard.

Just make sure the workgroups are the same, and the 2 PC's have different IP addresses.

michael8
09-10-2004, 04:00 PM
How do I change the Ip address of each computer? Do I need to tell the host computer the ip address of the client computer and vice versa?

Michael

michael8
09-10-2004, 06:01 PM
Thanks for all your help. I tried what all of you said but I still get that same error message on my host computer. On the client computer it says something about the workgroup not being available.

Does anybody know how I can fix this problem?

Thankyou,
Michael

Spacemannz
09-10-2004, 06:04 PM
See my post re: Here's how to network 2 XP PC's. There are Pics there.

macian
09-10-2004, 07:01 PM
After two years of trying my network has finally flickered into life complete with internet connectiion sharing. ICS in particular can be a bithch. I agree with the commnets above about

sharing all the drives on both computers;

setting up identical users on both computers;

If you have zone alarm you need zone alarm pro configured for the gateway and slave computer;

you need to make sure that the network is "enabled" in the network connections ;

you do have the cable wired Ok don't you. Without a router one of the wires on the cable connecting the computers needs to needs to be switched around;

I use all the automatic options as in "Automatically find IP" "disable WINS" and "disable the other thing

I hope this helps cos I know networks can be a problem, particulalrly ICS. For example, even though I have shared all my drives on my main computer for some reason only two out of six appear atn the other end of the network so all I can say is "don't give up"!!

michael8
09-10-2004, 10:08 PM
I have a good result in that when I pinged the client computer using command prompt the results were successful. But when I try to ping the host computer from the client computer I get the error 'Request timed out'. The light on my network cards are both on. I can see the client computer when I click workgroups in 'my computer' but I can't access it. From the host computer though when I click show workgroups in 'my computer' it says that the workgroup is unavailable. Does anybody know of any solutions?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thankyou,
Michael

Spacemannz
09-10-2004, 10:11 PM
Did u read the post/and pics here ?

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=52248

michael8
09-10-2004, 10:43 PM
Yes I have seen your pics. I did what the pics showed.

I'll repeat my problem again - this time with a bit more information.

I have recently networked 2 computers together and I am having problems. Both computers use WindowsXp and I used the network setup wizard to set up the network. The lights are on on the network cards of both computers. When I go to 'My Computer =>My network places=>view workgroup computers' I can see the name of the client computer on the host computer. But when I try to access the client computer by double-clicking I get the following the error message:- '\\Computer3 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The network path was not found'.

Also, when I click 'view workgroup computers' on the client computer, the host computer doesn't show up and I get the error message:- Home is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.'

What can I do to fix this problem?

Thankyou,
Michael

Spacemannz
09-10-2004, 10:47 PM
DONT use the wizard it'll screw things up! DO IT MANUALLY. Like what the pics show. Exactly what the pics show. except for the LAN part (where I say Ihugs DNS ip's for the preferred and alternate dns ip). Just enter 192.168.0.1 under preferred on the networked XP PC.

Berryb
09-10-2004, 11:35 PM
The PC with ICS (I assume you have enabled this) manually assign an IP address of 192.168.0.1 with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 default gateway 192.168.0.1 DNS can be 192.168.0.1 or your ISP DNS server IP address. The other PC should have an IP of 192.168.0.2 subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 default gateway 192.168.0.1 and DNS 192.168.0.1 or DNS of your ISP. Both PC's have to belong to the same workgroup but have a different computer name. Setup an account on both PC's with the same user name and password, for a start an account with admin rights is best. Turn off all firewalls. All the above has to be done with admin rights. If after doing the above disable ICS and just get the network to go. Is the XP SP2?

Spacemannz
09-10-2004, 11:43 PM
U DONT have to add a guest to each PC to get access to a folder on XP.

If the above is done properly, and simple file sharing is ticked. You'll get access either way for file sharing and ICS (if u want ICS). So, the other PC can get onto the net.

michael8
10-10-2004, 08:55 AM
I tried everything you said but it is still not working. I forgot tot tell you that when I ping the client computer ( typing ping 192.168.0.2 in command prompt) the results are successful. When I ping from the client computer to the host computer I get the error request timed out.

When I click workgroups in the client computer nothing shows up not even the client computer itself I get the same error as I wrote in my previous post about the network not being available and that the list of servers is not currently available.

Both the client computer and the host computer show on the host computer when I click workgroups though. The problem is when I double-click the client computer I get error that I wrote in the previous post that the client computer is not accessible and that the network path could not be found.

What should I do to try and solve this problem?

Thankyou,
Michael

michael8
10-10-2004, 09:02 AM
Also, I must tell you that the network worked before but then stopped working. Everything was working find both internet connection sharing and access the computer's files from either computer. When it stopped working I tried to use the wizard to set it up again but it didn't work. I understand now not to use the wizard Spacemannz.

I just can't seem to properly do a clean setup again by completely uninstalling the network cards. When the network cards are installed again the same settings that I set manually are still there.

Please help me.
Thankyou,
Michael

Spacemannz
10-10-2004, 09:16 AM
I would check to see if the firewalls are REALLY turned off. What firewall is installed on BOTH??

Under My computer on BOTH / Properties/Computer Name. The Worksgroups are the same arent they?? Change BOTH to MSHOME. See what happens.

TideMan
10-10-2004, 09:26 AM
I've been through exactly what Michael8 is going through.
I found the problem was the Win XP firewall.
It kept getting turned on. Everytime you decide to start over and run the Wizard, this is what happens. The *(#& XP firewall gets turned on again. You MUST, repeat MUST, turn it off for the network to work.

michael8
10-10-2004, 10:05 AM
How do you turn off the firewalls? Is it the internet connection firewall?

Thanks,
Michael

TideMan
10-10-2004, 10:16 AM
To turn off the firewall:
My Network Places
View Network Connections
Right click Local Area Connection and hit Properties/Advanced
For original XP: Unclick Internet Connection Firewall
For SP2: Settings/General/click Off

michael8
10-10-2004, 10:28 AM
Ok, I turned off my firewall on the client computer but I could turn it off on the host computer. I can't unclick internet connection firewall on the computer. The area is grey but the words and box is still there. The box is not ticked. The only thing I can click there is 'Learn more about Internet Connection Firewall. Why is this and what should I do?

and after I changing my workgroup name on both computers I found out that the errors are now reversed of the computers. The client computer now shows both computers but gives an error it cannot access the host computer. The host computer now gives an error that the workgroup is not available. Any solutions?

Also, if I was to manually configure the settings how do I let the computers know that it is a host/client?

Thankyou,
Michael

Spacemannz
10-10-2004, 10:38 AM
Where it says allow other computers to connect thru this computer's internet connection. (Under the dialup/properties/advanced). On the MAIN/HOST PC. THIS HAS to be TICKED.

Thats ICS. That will be the host. The PC with 192.168.0.1 is the host.

The other with 192.168.0.2 is the client. The internet connectiion firewall that you're talking about, isnt a firewall. IT HAS to be ticked, so the client can get access on the net. Thats what internet connection sharing is for.

Berryb
10-10-2004, 10:48 AM
What is the name of your workgroup and the name of your two PC's. Untill you get a successful network going turn OFF ICS. Is the OS XP or XP SP2. Since the network was going and stopped, did you upgrade anything, install software at the time it stoppped. Maybe a NIC is faulty.

TideMan
10-10-2004, 10:48 AM
OK, so you don't have rights on the Host computer, so you can't switch off the firewall.
This is your problem.
You need to obtain those rights somehow, but that's beyond my knowledge, I'm afraid. All I can say, after many hours/days struggling with my network, is that in my experience the XP firewall is always the problem. Get rid of that and all your problems will magically disappear.
And it's worth perservering because once your LAN works, it's trouble free, and it's a marvellous facility.

Spacemannz
10-10-2004, 10:50 AM
Also, if u have firewalls on BOTH computers, like Zonealarm and no other firewall (Besides XP's firewall). I would fix BOTH, (so BOTH are enabled, and running), before u get on the net.

Somehow, I think you have to REGISTER or put a serial # into Zonealarm, before it'll give u an option to let the host PC use ICS. (I maybe wrong, I dont know). If you can't see an option in Zonealarm saying something like this is the gateway / enable or something now, then yup this is why.

Its not a good idea not to HAVE ANY firewall enabled, while you're connected to the net at any time.

You'll get hit if u havent patched with the latest XP updates. Then you'll be starting all over again.

michael8
10-10-2004, 11:09 AM
I've changed the name of workgroup to Mshome. The name of the host computer is 'Computer1' and the name of the client computer is 'Computer3'. The OS is xp NOT xp sp2. Ever since the network stopped working I tried uninstall the network adaptors and then let windows detect the hardware and install it again. What's NIC?

Also, I've uninstalled all my firewall. After I get the network going then I'll start installing them.

Any more help would be appreciated.

Thankyou,
Michael

Spacemannz
10-10-2004, 11:11 AM
NIC is the network card

Berryb
10-10-2004, 11:15 AM
NIC = Network Interface Card. So no firewalls, and all IP address are setup as everyone has suggested and it used to work. Time to try a new cable and/or NIC's. Otherwise I'm lost for what could be the prob.

michael8
10-10-2004, 11:24 AM
I'm thinking that the cable could be the problem as I put on the RJ45 plugs on the cable myself. Are these the right colours?

1. white w/green stripe
2. green w/white stripe
3. white w/orange stripe
4. blue w/white stripe
5. white w/blue
6. orange w/white
7. white w/brown
8. brown w/white

1. white w/orange
2. orange w/white
3. white w/green
4. blue w/white
5. white w/blue
6. green w/white
7. white w/brown
8. brown w/white

Also, just to see that I did it right, how are you meant to put the RJ45 plugs on the cable? Do you have to strip off the plastic off the wires? Are you mean to push the metal connects of the RJ45 all the way down using a screw driver?

Thanks
Michael

Spacemannz
10-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Well I would go and BUY a cable. I guess u have to strip the plastic, since the wire within has to make contact with the RJ45 plug.

Here's a site with the wiring config.

http://www.aptcommunications.com/ncode.htm

Spacemannz
10-10-2004, 11:42 AM
Or try this site

http://www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/dyi_crossover.htm

michael8
10-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Good news! I've reconnect the RJ45 plugs and changed the host/client computer around. When I tried to go on the internet at the same time it worked. The only problem I have now is trying to access the computers from either computer.

Thanks a lot for all your help so far.

Michael

Spacemannz
10-10-2004, 01:44 PM
cool! 1/2 way there Mike. Umm is Zonealarm enabled now?? Or is any firewall enabled? That MAY be why the networked PC can get on the net.

ZA maybe OFF at the mo.

If Zonealarm is installed on BOTH computers, (and enabled), add BOTH ip addresses to its trusted zone. That SHOULD fix the networked PC.

BUT the prob maybe, if ZA is OFF now, and u turn it back on does the networked PC still get on the net??

michael8
10-10-2004, 06:12 PM
It works all fine now :). After I read your last post, I wondered whether it made be zonealarm on the original host computer that might have been the problem. So then I uninstalled zonealarm and changed back the host to the original computer and it worked fine. Even though I configured zonealarm to not run on startup (through msconfig in run) it was still blocking other computers from entering the computer. But now I installed zonealarm and added the ip. Everything is good now. Now I just need to install zonealarm on the client computer and that would be all.

With zonealarm on, the internet is a bit slow on the client computer but I guess it'll have to do.

Thanks a lot for all your support to get my network going. (especially Spacemannz who has been with me the whole time :) ).

Michael

Spacemannz
10-10-2004, 06:49 PM
Good one Mike! Umm if you're on the net or downloading on the MAIN PC, yes then the networked PC will be be slow especially if youre downloading on the MAIN PC (and on 56k). If the MAIN PC is just surfing the networked PC should speed up a bit.

michael8
10-10-2004, 08:55 PM
Should it really take that long to load a page on the client computer?
On the main pc I had the internet on, zonealarm firewall on and there is no downloading. It took over a minute (probably over 5 minutes) for me to load the xtra home page on the client computer. But when the zonealarm firewall was off it took about 10 seconds only.
I am on dial-up by the way with Slingshot. Should it really be that slow?

Michael

michael8
10-10-2004, 09:04 PM
Also, what is the wake on lan cable for? And is it possible to access a computer when it is turned off?

Michael

Spacemannz
10-10-2004, 09:14 PM
Wake on LAN is an option in the BIOS. It means if its enabled, when it detects that another computer has been turned on (a computer that's connected to a network/LAN), it'll turn that computer on.

I dont know about a wake on LAN cable. Any ethernet cable should work, with the wake on LAN option in the BIOS. How fast is the networked PC?? what speed/how much ram?? It might need defragging.

Do this in Safe Mode (when it boots up), press F8 select Safe mode, then run Disk Defragmenter.

Umm, so u added 192.168.0.2 to Zonealarm on the MAIN PC and 192.168.0.1 to the hosts Zonealarm right??

Did u find an option on the MAIN PC's/hosts Zonealarm in the settings, something saying this is the gateway / enable ICS?? I wonder even tho, you can get the networked on the net, if this gateway option isn't in Zonealarm on the MAIN PC. That maybe whats slowing the networked PC down??

BUT it does sound like it has something to do with the MAIN PC's Zonealarm, since u say its faster with it OFF.

michael8
10-10-2004, 09:54 PM
The networked pc is a dell dimension 2400. It is a 2.6Ghz. The main computer is 733mhz.
No, I did not find an option in the settings about gateway/enable ICS. That could be in zonealarm pro which I don't have.

Do you know if it's possible to access computer's file when that computer is turned off?

Michael

Spacemannz
11-10-2004, 08:26 AM
No u cant access files when a computer has been turned off Mike.

It HAS to be on to exchange files.

So, are BOTH firewalls on now or not?? I would say thats why the networked PC is slow on the net. Coz the MAIN PC hasn't got the ICS option. I didnt know it would work actually, if u didnt enable it thru ZA.

Fire-and-Ice
11-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Michael, check out this thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=50764&message=307482&q=proxy#307482), it might make things a bit easier for you. ;-)

i-gordon
11-10-2004, 04:12 PM
Go to LAN conection properties. Install NWLink NetBios & NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol on both computers then run the automatic network setup. I found this tip on the internet somewhere and it works. I had endless networking problems before I did this now I have none. This will probably bring all the experts out of the woodwork saying it's a load of rubbish but try it anyway it cant damage anything and you can always uninstall if its no good. I have WIN XP and WIN 2000 sharing through an ADSL Router which in my opinion is the best setup. Before this I had an internal ADSL modem and sharing via a crossover cable and the netbios protocol fixed the problems with this setup too.

Spacemannz
11-10-2004, 04:25 PM
You dont need either IPX or Netbios for XP. All you need is TCP/IP, file and printer sharing (if u wanna share), and Client for MS networks.

I wouldnt bother with the Network Wizard, if thats what you're talking about. Its totally useless/hopeless.

i-gordon
11-10-2004, 07:30 PM
Absolutly correct. Netbios or IPX is not needed.
Type windows networking problems into Google.
3,260,000 hits and thats only the tip of the iceberg.
Netbios is an alternative thats less frustrating.