PDA

View Full Version : OT - Don't you hate it !!

Misty
06-10-2004, 08:11 PM
When you prepare a thorough and lengthy reply to a post, going to lots of trouble to give links to sites, then delete your reply in error when you get rid of the wrong tab in Firefox !!!

Misty X-(

ApeNz
06-10-2004, 08:44 PM
i feel your pain but personally have not experienced it

Jen C
06-10-2004, 09:51 PM
> When you prepare a thorough and lengthy reply to a
> post, going to lots of trouble to give links to
> sites, then delete your reply in error when you get
> rid of the wrong tab in Firefox !!!

There is an extension which adds a right context menu item for "undo last closed tab" ...

Well there used to be, just took a look and can't see it leaping out at me on the extension website - but I used to have it and it was great for those d'oh! moments :D

You can always lock the PF1 tab to prevent further oopsies :) (that is part of Tabbrowser Preferences)

fairway
06-10-2004, 10:37 PM
It takes a good code writer about a day to write a browser .. and another day or so to add the security, if the one you got isn't working for you "google it" for one that does serve you better...

mikebartnz
07-10-2004, 01:08 AM
> It takes a good code writer about a day to write a browser .. and another day or so to add the security,
Is that why IE is so bad. :D

Laura
07-10-2004, 02:34 AM
So you stuffed up on a lengthy post..?
So don't we all sometimes - and feel aggrieved.
There are two answers:
(1) Do it again ( amazing how the new version is shorter) & ask for help.
(2) Forget it & sort the problem yourself..

Baldy
07-10-2004, 06:11 AM
If its important, probably better to use the copy facility (of cut&paste) until you know the thread has been posted.

Billy T
07-10-2004, 06:34 AM
Extending Baldy's advice a little, for anything other than a two line reply I compose in Notepad (Metapad actually, but same difference) then copy and paste to PF1.

If I am writing a reply in PF1 and it suddenly grows bigger than expected (as they do) I copy and paste to Metapad and continue there.

Saves heartache, temper tantrums, swearing and/or persecution of the innocent (now look what you made me do!) :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Misty
08-10-2004, 06:33 PM
Thanks folks
I used to do as Billy T suggests and copy every so often. Then had no probs for ages and ages so got lulled into a false sense of security. May have to restart the practice

....on the other hand what Jen C suggests is well worth investigating .... I am still captured so much by Firefox tabbing that I have not checked out other possibilities.....must do so as there are marvels to uncover yet !!

...and Laura...so serious this time...maybe I should have posted X-( (;) )
It was frustrating at the time but was not a query from me but attempt to help some other contributer (and my bedtime loomed).

Thanks again for some very worthwhile suggestions to a vexatious post.

Misty :) :)

Elephant
08-10-2004, 07:37 PM
> It takes a good code writer about a day to write a
> browser .. and another day or so to add the security,
> if the one you got isn't working for you "google it"
> for one that does serve you better...

So could you write a browser in a day? Then test the same so it works with all web sites. I take it that the browser may use ActiveX or not as the case may be.

I can't code a web site in a day and test it for all browsers.

Looking forward to the FAIRWAY browser wich has Tabs, a built in Email client, plug ins, etc.

Then of course it will be secure on the second day will it not.

Looking forward to downloading your effort come tomorrow week.

Quite happy to wait.

Poppa John
08-10-2004, 07:44 PM
Misty, I also feel your Pain & HAVE experienced it. PJ :D

Elephant
08-10-2004, 07:53 PM
> When you prepare a thorough and lengthy reply to a
> post, going to lots of trouble to give links to
> sites, then delete your reply in error when you get
> rid of the wrong tab in Firefox !!!
>
> Misty X-(

Sorry Misty.

I don't use Firefox. I tried other Email clients and browsers.
I have no objection to people using Linux, Firefox, MSDos, Windows any version. etc.

On PressF1 I could answer a post using Word 2003 using cut and paste and ensure that the spelling is reasonably correct.

If you spent time trying to answer a post then feel free to do so.

If your words disappeared then I suggest you use a word processor and save at times.

Elephant
08-10-2004, 08:04 PM
> Thanks folks
> I used to do as Billy T suggests and copy every so
> often. Then had no probs for ages and ages so got> Thanks again for some very worthwhile suggestions to
> a vexatious post.
>
Your post was not vexatious to me.

Back to the cut and paste again?

Best way to go I think.

Use any Operating system and Applications that work for you.

alphazulusixeightniner
08-10-2004, 08:38 PM
Notepad, such a pathetic program. Try NoteTab Light, I'm sure you will like it!

Laura
08-10-2004, 09:29 PM
Sorry, Misty
Didn't mean to sound like a grump.
The 3.34am timing (invalid house just now) has a lot to answer for.

Growly
08-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Misty doesn't need suggestions for browser replacements, she wants a hug.

Jen C
08-10-2004, 10:30 PM
> Misty doesn't need suggestions for browser
> replacements, she wants a hug.

"She" is a He ;-)

metla
08-10-2004, 10:34 PM
In which case Growly should follow through and give him a big hug.....

alphazulusixeightniner
09-10-2004, 06:16 AM
:^O Metla

Misty
21-06-2005, 09:39 PM
Well there used to be, just took a look and can't see it leaping out at me on the extension website - but I used to have it and it was great for those d'oh! moments :D

Damn !
undoclosetab 20040617, by Dorando, released on June 23, 2004
only works with versions 0.8 and 0.9

Will have to try the lock... as have just lost another lengthy post :horrified
Misty

dolby digital
21-06-2005, 09:50 PM
> Misty doesn't need suggestions for browser
> replacements, she wants a hug.

"She" is a He ;-)

We are all equals on this here internet... although some are more equal than others :waughh:

Ok, those that are looking for love on this here internet might want to know whether a he is a she... or whatever. :stare:

Jen
21-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Damn !
only works with versions 0.8 and 0.9

Will have to try the lock... as have just lost another lengthy post :horrified
MistyGood news Misty! A bit of snopping around the undoclosetab's author's page located a new undoclosetab extension which does work. Just tried it now with Firefox 1.0.4 :thumbs:

Go here (http://mozilla.dorando.at/) and click on the:

undoclosetab.xpi 15-May-2005 04:00 7k

You will get a warning from Firefox that the site has been blocked from installing software, so just click on the alert options and allow that site to install software and then click again on the link. Install it and then restart Firefox.

Further information: here (http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=226)

Neil McC
21-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Thanks Jen,been looking for that too.

TonyF
21-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Jen to the rescue, as so often !!!!

Cicero
22-06-2005, 07:50 AM
Jen to the rescue, as so often !!!!
This girl is no slug.

Misty
24-06-2005, 08:01 PM
Good news Misty! A bit of snopping around the undoclosetab's author's page located a new undoclosetab extension which does work. Just tried it now with Firefox 1.0.4 :thumbs:

Go here (http://mozilla.dorando.at/) and click on the:

undoclosetab.xpi 15-May-2005 04:00 7k

You will get a warning from Firefox that the site has been blocked from installing software, so just click on the alert options and allow that site to install software and then click again on the link. Install it and then restart Firefox.

Further information: here (http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=226)

Many thanks Jen, I don't know how you do it - but very impressive !

It took me a while to work around the warning (even to find it !) - but finally got it together.

The "further information" which says -

Tabs can be reopened via tabbar context menu, website context menu, middle click on the close button, or by a shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+F12 [Cmd+Shift+F12 on MacOS] which can be changed with the keyconfig extension).

Note: All-in-One Gestures 0.9.9 and above or Tab Clicking Options provide additional ways to invoke Undo Close Tab. Tabs will be focused and moved to previous position if tablib is available (included in most miniT variants).
I found confusing and did not understand - however I just use right click and "Undo closed tab".

Notice that you can reload all tags which could be useful in some circumstances.
thanks again
Misty :thumbs: