PDA

View Full Version : OT: Sony Vs Cannon Digital Camera

Budda
06-10-2004, 08:17 AM
I am in the market to buy a new digital camera and have been shopping around for a while reading reviews and the like. My first choice was a sony dsc-t1 but decided that the interal lense produced poor zoom quality.

I am now looking at a choice between a Cannon IXUS 500 or a Sony DSC-W1, just wondering if anyone has had experience with either of these. The W1 has a bigger screen but i have heard that after sales support from sony is almost non-existant.

Any opinions??

Budda

Winston001
06-10-2004, 08:49 AM
After much reading of reviews, including threads here, over 6 months, I chose a Canon A70 (now superseded). I'm very pleased with it.

Sony are not camera manufacturers but I acknowledge their cameras seem to get good reviews.

Having owned Canon and Olympus cameras for years, I decided on Canon.They are an experienced camera manufacturer with good quality and reliable products.

Thomas01
06-10-2004, 09:40 AM
I went by the consumer recomendations and bought an Olympic because they reckoned it produced the best picture. It would probably not be my first choice if I just looked around camera shops, and it really takes some learning. But I haven't the facilities Consumers have to test. So I went with their write up. Not only am I delighted with it but other people have been rather surprised at the control I have with the device. I just wish my skills were as good as the camera is.

45South
06-10-2004, 10:14 AM
Which Operating system are you using?
If you are on ME/98 get the sony as cannons are a real pain in the butt unless you are using XP

I've had experience with both sony & cannon & prefer the sony anyday.

Marlboro
06-10-2004, 10:19 AM
My Sony digital camera is great, no problems at all

whiskeytangofoxtrot
06-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Canon camera's outstrip Sony's every single time.

I've seen pictures taken using a $1500 Sony CyberShot 4.0MP latest everything versus a 2.0MP Canon and the Canon produced superior quality images without fail.

Bang for your buck, go for the Canon. You'll also find they use a standard memory format, not the proprietary Sony Memory Stickô

D. McG
06-10-2004, 12:01 PM
I have a Canon Powershot A40 (2MP camera) and use Windows ME - there are no problems as long as you follow the instructions for loading pictures - plug in USB cable, turn the dial to playback mode, turn on the camera, do what you want on the computer, then simply unplug the camera. The camera simply turns off by itself, and Windows automatically removes the Powershot from the folder list in Windows Explorer. I don't think XP offers any advantage - you still need to install the drivers from the CD in order to read from the camera.

The only downside (probably to my particular model) is that some of the pictures can get quite grainy depending on the light levels and image settings. But what really impressed me at the time was the long battery life (with rechargeable NiMH AA batteries), the different settings that allow greater control, and that it was one of the few cameras thad had a movie mode with sound.

Newer cameras with higher resolution may have made other improvements since then (apart from simply increasing the megapixel count), and for grainy images you can take pictures at the full resolution, soften them to remove the noise, then scale down to size.

Misty
06-10-2004, 08:06 PM
Hi Budda
As Winston says Cannon A70 superceded (correct spelling - strange but true !!).

The new one is Cannon Powershot A75 and incredibly detailed and impressive review here
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a75-review/index.shtml

cheers
Misty :D

tutaenui
06-10-2004, 08:46 PM
Do not get too obsessed with the equipment, after all its the finger that presses the shutter release that makes the picture not the camera. Ansel Adams could take a great picture on a box brownie (Remember those or am I just showing my age?) while Joe Public can take crap pictures on a $2000 nikon. I suggest test drive various cameras at your local camera shop and chose the one you like. Camera models change rapidly ( it has been said that Sony bring a new model out every 23 days) and best value can often be got by buying a recently superceded model. that generally still will be image wise the equivelent of the newer model. BTW i have a Sony and am well pleased with it

Blue Druid
06-10-2004, 09:13 PM
I have been using a T1 for several weeks now and have to say that the Zeiss lens is capable of producing superb results within the range of optical zoom. Its chief drawbacks (as I see them) are in the close-up ("macro") range and the tiny flash is quite limited. In addition, although there is a self timer (for use in lieu of a cable release for long exposures), there is no tripod socket so no way to hold the camera still (other than its cradle which is at the wrong angle anyway.)

That said, for its extremely compact size, I have found it a most useful 2nd camera because my primary one simply won't fit in my shirt pocket.

All compact cameras, digital or analog, have major shortcomings and compromises when compared with professional or prosumer models. It is a matter of deciding which you can most comfortably live with. There are some equally compact models in the new Fujifilm issues but I have not yet had the opportunity to drive them. Most other compacts are bigger with very little in the way of additional features.

In fairness, no one make of consumer camera can be considered superior across its entire range although most makes do include one or two models which outshine their direct competitors in terms of either image quality or 'bang-for-buck.'

fairway
06-10-2004, 09:23 PM
Sony has a NZ office and repair shop in Nugent St, Auckland. I found their service and advice excelent, especially when they serviced and upgraded the DSC P1 with an inherant battery problem. (free of charge)
I now have a 505 which works well with the large lens. Most good pictures are produced by the user not the camera, but you can't beat good handy service and repair.
B.T.W. would the guy that stole the P1 contact me so I can give him the charger as well. ;-)

whiskeytangofoxtrot
07-10-2004, 07:57 AM
> As Winston says Cannon A70 superceded (correct
> spelling - strange but true !!).

Nein: superseded

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=superceded

CYaBro
07-10-2004, 08:39 AM
As a few other people have pointed out, the best bet for you would be to go to a shop and have a play with both of those cameras and see for yourself which one you like.
I myself have a Sony DSC-W1 Black and have found it to be excellent. The pictures it takes are very good and it is also easy to use and I like the 2.5" LCD screen.
My sister has a Canon (spelt with 2 n's not 3!) A80 (now replaced by the A85) and it also takes very good pictures even though it is only 4MP as opposed to the Sony which is 5MP.
One thing I will say is BUY a bigger memory module (Compact flash or Memory Stick) with whichever camera you buy. They only come with 32MB and with the Sony that will only hold about 10 photos at 5MP!
I bought an extra 256MB memory stick with mine and it holds about 100 photos at 5MP which is heaps.

Winston001
07-10-2004, 09:12 AM
>
> Nein: superseded
>
I'll have to go with WTF here Misty. The Oxford dictionary says that "superceded" is a disputed spelling. The word "cede" means to give way to, which doesn't help this spelling.

The root of supersede is from Latin "supersedere" which means "superior to" and thus supports the correct spelling.

Now...........anybody want to argue how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? :D

PaulD
07-10-2004, 09:15 AM
The Canon A80 was replaced by the 5MP A95. The A85 is a 4MP A75. The A80 and A95 have the swivel LCD.

Sony do make good cameras. After all they make almost all of the CCDs used in Digital cameras and regardless of the name on the lens, most of the optics are made in the same factory for all brands. I do find the Sony camera control symbols are a mystery compared to Canon or other traditional camera makers.

nomad
07-10-2004, 09:42 AM
Canon is a HUGE company. Its even bigger than Nikon. They have some time ago out paced Nikon in the digital camera market ...

I am not too sure about digicams (pocket), Canon tend to have lower noise than other brands ...Given that Canon has a much wider selection available up to professional artists their support, options should be better than Sony.

That F828 from Sony sounds nice. But then again so does the Pro 1 from Sony :D

nomad
07-10-2004, 09:45 AM
> That F828 from Sony sounds nice. But then again so
> does the Pro 1 from Sony :D

I meant the F828 from Sony and the Canon Pro 1 :)

nomad
07-10-2004, 09:49 AM
if i were to shop for a digicam, yeah they v competitive. but from the 2 i prefer Canon .. i would also look for if it has a option for external flash, bulb exposure mode, if not how long is the longest shutter speed, manual override, is there a remote. just things you need to keep in mind when your interest grows in the future. digital is neat that you can play with your hobbies till your content and there can be no cost involved.

Misty
31-10-2004, 04:04 PM
I have just discovered that connectors that come with my Canon Powershot A75 are for connecting (very easily !!) the camera to my television, where you can view them easily and show them to long-suffering friends, rellies and neighbors.

To say that I am ecstatic would be to understate. It is marvellous! No doubt Sony, Olympus etc, etc have the same thing.
Misty :D :D

godfather
31-10-2004, 05:12 PM
Every one of my 4 digital cameras from about 1997 onwards has had the video out feature Misty. Different brands and models.

I would think it would be difficult to buy any reasonable camera that does not support the feature.

That is also the reason that all those cameras supported transferring the images back into the camera, so you could choose what selection to bore the audience with.

This was in the days before memory cards, with just internal camera memory in the first 2 cameras.