PDA

View Full Version : Changing a drive partitions

Poppa John
05-10-2004, 08:23 PM
Hi All
Running XP Home on a 60GB drive. Partitioned as "C" 29GB & "F" 27GB, approx. C is filling up & I would lke to increase C from F. How di I change the partition line to take from F & give to c. Without disturbing any data.
That comp is doing a Defrag at the moment, showing C as FAT 32 File system & F as NTFS. Thanks PJ

Merlin
05-10-2004, 10:15 PM
Use Partition Magic

Delete the NTFS partition and expand the FAT32.
Be prepared for possible problems with expanding a FAT32 partition beyond 32Gb without using a DDO by doing a full backup before attempting any alterations.

Men's faults are many,
Women have but two.
Everything they say,
And everything they do

Susan B
05-10-2004, 10:28 PM
Partition Magic costs money.

PJ, it will be cheaper and easier for you to shift your data files off the C drive on to the F drive to make more room. Just create a new folder on F called Documents and move all the stuff out of My Documents into the new folder. That should be enough to make some room and if you need more for new programs then just install those on the F drive as well instead of C drive.

KatiMike
05-10-2004, 10:37 PM
possible free trial (http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/13/8/13-8-2.shtml) may help?

Greg S
06-10-2004, 07:42 AM
> possible free trial (http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/13/8/13-8-2.s
> tml) may help?

I think the demo is not fully functional - only lets you see what you can do, not actually capable of doing it

drcspy
06-10-2004, 09:28 AM
Partition magic is quite costly but if you already have a copy of norton ghost then use it, f not buy one from tradme (norton system works contains ghost) you can get it for only about $35) anyway.......take a ghost image of the info, onto cd or another spare hdd, from both partitons then useing a 98 boot disk and fdisk delete the existing partitions then recreate them in the ratio you wish (40gb + 20gb - or whatever). then write the images back to the new partitionss. you wont lose any info and it should work fine as......

Graham L
06-10-2004, 05:38 PM
The worst culprits are probably your digital photographs, PJ. Move them to the NTFS partition, and C: should have lots of room. :D

It's safest to leave partitions alone. I've seen so many people complaining that they have lost all their data, when "all" they did was use Partition Magic to rearrange their partitions. ;-) Partitioning doesn't lose information when it's done to empty disks.

drcspy
06-10-2004, 07:04 PM
exactly that's why i'd suggest imageing the data first.........

Elephant
06-10-2004, 07:32 PM
> Hi All
> Running XP Home on a 60GB drive. Partitioned as "C"
> 29GB & "F" 27GB, approx. C is filling up & I would
> lke to increase C from F. How di I change the
> partition line to take from F & give to c. Without
> disturbing any data.
> That comp is doing a Defrag at the moment, showing C
> as FAT 32 File system & F as NTFS. Thanks PJ

So how many physical hard drives do you have installed?

Drive letters can be changed in WinXP but I am wondering what is drive D: and E: and do you have a G: H: I: etc?

Is drive D and E assigned to optical drives?

Poppa John
06-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Elephant.........
A = 3.25 Floppy
B = Zilch
C = 60GB drive
D = CD Read drive
E = Read/Write drive
F = Partition of C

No others. PJ

Bryan
07-10-2004, 12:50 PM
OK. How do I get around the following conundrum of having and keeping four partitions on the HD, and moving O/S from D: to C:

C: has 98SE and D: has XP Home, the other two partitions are empty (HD size is 80 GB).

I want to do away completely with 98SE and have XP on C:. I don't have a HD utilities disk and wonder if there is a simple method of achiving the above.

Bryan.

Poppa John
08-10-2004, 04:52 PM
Seems the best/easiest thing for us to do is as Susan B suggested, move stuff across to F from C. So we will try to move Photography & all that goes with it.. Any suggestions as to the best way?? PJ

alphazulusixeightniner
08-10-2004, 05:40 PM
:^O :^O Love the quote Merlin.