PDA

View Full Version : XP SP2's firewall

Spacemannz
04-10-2004, 12:49 PM
Anyone know what the point is, in turning XP SP2's firewall off when:

It still add programs to it's exceptions? If it's off anyway? And I see the WMI for SP2 has been released thru Liveupdate for Nortons Internet Security 2003 (and most probably other versions).

Anyone know what the point of this was, as Security Centre in SP2, still says it doesn't know the status of the firewall (if u use another firewall besides XP's)??

Wasn't that the point of the WMI update? To tell you the status, if another firewall was running/on?

And even if u say you'll monitor the firewall yourself, XP seems to change it back to check status!! How can you fix it, so XP STOPS changing / unticking the option I have a firewall solution!

The AV status works, it's just the firewall option, that doesnt like being turned off! So, whats the point in having the damn OFF option in it lol.

Mzee
04-10-2004, 01:52 PM
I have disabled the control centre and the Windows fire wall. I let Zone Alarm look after security & have had no problems. I regard the Windows fire wall as Spy Ware for Redmond!

Spacemannz
04-10-2004, 01:55 PM
Yeah so have I . I use Internet Security

FrankS
04-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Have Windows Firewall disabled and Zone Alarm running. When I go to Security Centre it states Firewall is ON and clicking the ON it advises that Zone Alarm is running, presume it does similar for other firewalls. Like antivirus prefer to run only one firewall just in case they decide they don't like one another.