PDA

View Full Version : Problem with AC '97 Sound (Sigmatel)

Mada
03-10-2004, 12:53 PM
When I turned off the computer while it was loading Windows 98 SE (and we all know how buggy IT is) and turned it back on again a few seconds later, I found that my sound chip had somehow stopped working and disappeared off the Device Manager. I've done nearly everything I can think of (without spending money): Re-install Windows, turn AC '97 off and then on in the BIOS setup, and even removed and re-installed the Sigmatel drivers (for Intel Chipsets Sigmatel AC '97 audio). Anyone have a solution to this frustrating problem? It would be most appreciated.

Spacemannz
03-10-2004, 01:12 PM
Did u try Windowsupdate to see if that can update the drivers for the sound?? Delete the entry in Device Manager first. Does Device Manager show any X's ? or other under this soundcard?? Even with the drivers, you've installed at the mo?

Well its not a good idea to turn it off while Windows is loading. It may have corrupted something. Or try updating the BIOS if there's a later BIOS out for the mobo. Or set the BIOS at its default settings, then reconfigure the BIOS, and save the settings.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
03-10-2004, 01:15 PM
> Re-install Windows, turn AC '97 off and then on in
> the BIOS setup, and even removed and re-installed the
> Sigmatel drivers (for Intel Chipsets Sigmatel AC '97

Did you reinstall Windows over the top, or format and reinstall.

If it was a format and reinstall then it's not likely to be a software problem.

Try booting in Safe Mode and removing the drivers that way, then go back in and reinstall them.

Mada
03-10-2004, 01:15 PM
O.K., I'll try that.
Thanks!

Mada
03-10-2004, 02:33 PM
Neither updating or resetting the bios worked and there was no listing for the sound chip in safe mode. An answer to whiskeytangofoxtrot: I re-installed Windows 98 SE over the top, but only after the problem with the sound occurred.

Spacemannz
03-10-2004, 03:09 PM
Well I would do a clean install,and DONT install over a previous version.

Mada
04-10-2004, 09:51 AM
Meaning I back up my important files, format the hard-drive and install Windows back on? Good idea. I was thinking of doing that, but just wanted to see if there were any alternatives to that, as I already did that last month. At the moment it seems like my only option. Thanks Spacemannz and Whiskeytangofoxtrot for your help.

[Note to other viewers of this topic: I would still like to hear your advice on this problem in case it happens again. Topic is still open]

KatiMike
04-10-2004, 11:30 PM
[another viewer replies] ... Hi Mada , I 'm also really keen to learn more about on-board sound . I can't quite work something out your original post , did you chose to turn off the computer during the installation of 98se ?? Or did it turn itself off during the installation ,or was it a power surge/ young kid pulling plugs / act of God etc etc . IMHO when a win98se install hasn't gone well , I swear loudly , pour another vodka , and put in the bootdisk to start again then reformat, load os , load mobo drivers etc etc . A heaping pile of the 'puters I've put together have SoundBlaster cards in them as I've read this is a better option [ in terms of not straining the CPU ] vs on-board sound - SB cards are easy to find in NZ and offer "OK" performance ... there are new mobos coming out [ Intel] that would seem to offer very tasty on-board audio , it's a changing world ...
Anyway , back to your original post , what happened to cause your problems ? :)

Mada
05-10-2004, 07:27 AM
> [another viewer replies] ... Hi Mada , I 'm also
> really keen to learn more about on-board sound . I
> can't quite work something out your original post ,
> did you chose to turn off the computer during the
> installation of 98se ??

I turned off the computer while it was starting up and loading Windows. I have formatted the hard drive and re-installed Windows 98 SE, but my problem still remains. I've even reset the BIOS settings. Maybe that's where the problem is?
So, my sound is STILL not working X-( and I am really annoyed!

Mada
25-10-2004, 10:30 AM
Onboard sound: This is an integrated chip, usually called integrated sound. It can go under numerous prefixes, depending on the manufacturer of the sound chip, such as: Realtek integrated Audio (one of the most common); Sigmatel integrated Audio; and others. Integrated integrated audio usually processes some of its audio data using the CPU, so it can cause a slight performance degradation. Most integrated audio chips can have a sound that is beaten by decent sound cards, but others can be quite good, with features like 6 channel audio.
By the way, I ended up having to buy a new motherboard and CPU, because it seems the sound giving up was only a warning of the things to come, but having a gigahertz CPU is quite nice.
P.S. Only the motherboard gave up. To my knowledge, the CPU runs fine, but is a PIII and not compatible with new motherboards.