PDA

View Full Version : OT IrfanView3.92 has odd optional extra

pulling hair out
30-09-2004, 07:36 PM
Hi
Just d/loaded and installed latest version of IrfanView 3.92.
Didn't notice anything different from last one until a shortcut appeared on my desktop for eBay.
Checked IrfanView site and it shows how to remove it from Iview menu bar [properties>misc.3>uncheck "add eBay buttons to toolbar"]
Checked eBay on Net to see what it searches for and found it was for buying and selling items - Trademe NewZealand was on this site too.

I guess this type of Adware helps with the upkeep of IrfanView, but seemed strange that it had nothing to do with graphics etc.

Marg.

fairway
30-09-2004, 07:56 PM
I found that little "ebay" tab on my toolbar as well, it can easily be removed by right clicking the toolbar, although, I have used it so much so much recently I kinda like it ...

the highlander
30-09-2004, 10:21 PM
You can't really blame the guy for trying to make a buck out of a program that is so widely used and freeware at that. The installation routine clearly gives you an opt out so there is nothing nefarious about it.

Susan B
30-09-2004, 10:35 PM
> The installation routine clearly gives you an opt out so there is nothing nefarious about it.

Exactly. The option of installing the Ebay shortcut or not is made quite obvious during the installation process. Those miss it are not paying proper attention. ;-)

pulling hair out
30-09-2004, 11:01 PM
>>Those miss it are not paying proper attention.

This is the 3rd version of IrfanView I have downloaded. How am I supposed to know what eBay is? I can hardly zap into Google to find out while in the middle of installing a program. I assumed it would be something to do with graphics or part of IrfanView.

Also, I was not complaining about nor knocking IrfanView. Just commenting on what a strange thing to be on a graphics program.
Also noted on Google that ebay stock fell 13% just hours ago. Can't be that brilliant.

Marg

Susan B
30-09-2004, 11:36 PM
> >>Those miss it are not paying proper attention.

Did I really say that? Good grief, the bad grammar on this forum is starting to affect me now. :p :D

> This is the 3rd version of IrfanView I have
> downloaded. How am I supposed to know what eBay is? I
> can hardly zap into Google to find out while in the
> middle of installing a program. I assumed it would be
> something to do with graphics or part of IrfanView.
> Also, I was not complaining about nor knocking
> IrfanView. Just commenting on what a strange thing to
> be on a graphics program.

That is understandable if you are not familiar with Ebay. When I first saw the option for installing the Ebay shortcut I was rather taken aback myself but it does mention something about getting revenue from it so I wasn't concerned. I did not opt to install the shortcut, however.

> Also noted on Google that ebay stock fell 13% just
> hours ago. Can't be that brilliant.

Can't comment on Ebay's stock but is a popular and successful operation.

My previous comment on not paying attention during the installation process still stands - if you are not sure about something then do not accept it until you do understand what it is about. All the spyware, dialers, etc that infest so many computers rely on people's inattention and trust to get themselves installed and by the time people realise what they are and what they do it is too late.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
30-09-2004, 11:42 PM
> Also noted on Google that ebay stock fell 13% just
> hours ago. Can't be that brilliant.

Wow gee thats a real measure of performance.

zqwerty
01-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Marg why do you have your home page as "Quicksilver", and yet you do not know about Ebay. Is this ingenuous or disingenuous?

Vince
01-10-2004, 01:07 AM
> How am I supposed to know what eBay is? I
> Marg

I've never been to the site, but I thought everyone knew what eBay is. :D Vince

pulling hair out
01-10-2004, 01:44 AM
>> Marg why do you have your home page as "Quicksilver",

My homepage hasn't been quicksilver for a long time. Changed it to about:blank around the time a lot of complaints were being posted about things being slow to load. Loads up faster, but did get picked up as a problem to begin with by Spybot or AdAware- can't remember which one.

To those who utter surprise at my not knowing what eBay is, would you mind telling me why I should know. Is it critical to computer knowledge?

>>>I guess this type of Adware helps with the upkeep of IrfanView, but seemed strange that it had nothing to do with graphics etc.

This part of my post was the reason for my post. This casual comment has obviously got up the nose of those who seem to take offence at my very bland OT post and even brought someone out of his hole to show his ignorance about stock shares.

Were you all so desperate for a whipping boy tonight? Was the cat not close enough to your feet to kick?

zqwerty
01-10-2004, 02:38 AM
Jesus, Marg , RELAX, I love you. Only joking.

Quicksilver seems to be money oriented and so is ebay, I just thought that the two went together. You still have it posted as your homepage which is where I got it from:

http://www.google.com/search?q=quicksilver

fairway
01-10-2004, 03:28 AM
Before you pull out all your hair .. Ebay is the largest, world wide, online, Auction House.

You can buy, sell or trade almost any goods . .. after you register and follow the basic rules.
Hope that helps.

Susan B
01-10-2004, 10:11 AM
> To those who utter surprise at my not knowing what eBay is, would you mind telling me why I should know. Is it critical to computer knowledge?

Ebay is very well known but there are still plenty of people who have never heard of it so you are not alone by any means.

>>>I guess this type of Adware helps with the upkeep of IrfanView, but seemed strange that it had nothing to do with graphics etc.

Yes, and as I said previously, I was rather taken aback by this new "feature" but I understood what it was about even though it had nothing to do with graphics or the program itself.

> This part of my post was the reason for my post. This casual comment has obviously got up the nose of those who seem to take offence at my very bland OT post and even brought someone out of his hole to show his ignorance about stock shares.

You didn't get up my nose at all. I figured what your post was all about but it still amused me that you allowed the Ebay option to be installed even though you had no idea what it was for. If it were me I would have cancelled the installation and gone Googling first. ;-)

> Were you all so desperate for a whipping boy tonight? Was the cat not close enough to your feet to kick?

If I sounded like I was using you for a "whipping boy" then I apologise as I was not. I understood what you were saying but you should know by now that people here have a bad habit of twisting people's posts into all kinds of garish interpretations. ;-) :D

Vince
01-10-2004, 10:46 PM
Sorry if my response caused offence. It's just that if I had never used a computer I would still know what eBay is; TV, for instance. Vince :-)