PDA

View Full Version : Auckland PC Store Comparison

Nighthawk
30-09-2004, 01:53 PM
hay, what are your comments on this?

1) E-ONE COMPUTERS - Manukau City - www.e-one.co.nz
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
512MB DDR400 (pc-3200)/Rambo/Elixir DDR RAM - $123.00
THERMALTAKE EXTREME 3-IN-1 CPU COOLER - $49.00
Task TK - 952TX-DF 520Watt P4/AMD Dual Fan / Silent Power Supply (Metallic Blue) - $73.00
THERMALTAKE GIANT III HEATSINK COOLER FOR VIDEO CARDS - $69.00
Coolmaster 8CM Dual Ball System Cooler - $11.00
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GRAND TOTAL: $372.38 incl gst

2) PB Technologies Ltd - 4 Station Rd, Penrose - www.pbtech.co.nz
512MB DDR400 PC3200 MEMORY OEM +FOR SYSTEM - $154.62 +gst
Double Ball Bearing Cooling fan 8cm Double Ball Bearing Cooling fan 8cm -$11.00 +gst
Maxwell Lithium Battery 3V +CR2032 BATT-INT3V for motherboard - $3.00 +gst
THERMALTAKE TT-420AD ATX420 w/PFC +W0008RAC 2 FANS - $119.00 +gst
THERMALTAKE TT-420AD ATX420 w/PFC +W0008RAC 2 FANS - $119.00 +gst
THERMALTAKE VOLCANO 9 +COOLMOD AMD XP COOLER - $45.00 +gst
GRAND TOTAL: $508.07 incl gst

3) PC Gear Online - Great South Rd, Penrose - www.pcgear.co.nz
Zalman Cnps7000b-cu Cpu Cooler - $101.26
480 WATT BUTTERFLY P/S - BLACK - $166.95
512mb 333 Legend - $159.98
Internal 8cm Fan for case - $14.57
GRANT TOTAL: $442.76 incl gst

This is for an upgrade, it seems E-one is alot cheaper. But its hard to deal with and understand them as they are mostly asian :-P

I also bought my pc from e-one and the speakers and the power supply are bogus, the warranty is passed by a month but apparently you can still get them to replace the faulty parts. The quality of parts at pc gear seem good, but expensive, PB Technologies was the only one offering cmos batterys on thier site, which i may need. but you can buy those anyway almost. Just wondering what you think of these.

Pete O\'Neil
30-09-2004, 02:08 PM
The Giant3 is super mega overkill for your video card, the task PSU is ****, theres no point buying DDR400 unless your an overclocker or know about RAM timings/latency. The thermaltake PSU's are good but you could probably get a 350w Enermex/Antec for less, which would be superior to even a 420w Thermaltake. The Zalman cooler is good, but expensive, check there website to make sure its compatiable with your mobo. Alot of motherboards arent compatiable with that cooler. Thermaltake coolers are cheap and you get what you pay for, but in saying that their Pipe101 is a nice cooler but also not cheap. You dont have to buy everything from the same shop, shop around to get the best bang for ya buck.

If i was you i'd buy these:

Thermaltake Golf 325 3in1 HSF - $50ish
512mb 333 Legend - $159.98
Coolmaster 8CM Dual Ball System Cooler - $11.00
Antec Truepower 380w - $160ish

Antec make some good PSU, and the Thermaltake golf is compatiable with socket 478 and AMD64 so you could use it on a future system.

Chris Randal
30-09-2004, 02:59 PM
Did you try QMB (http://www.qmb.co.nz) ?

Pete O\'Neil
30-09-2004, 03:01 PM
> Did you try QMB (http://www.qmb.co.nz) ?
NOOOOO!!! dont go anywhere near QMB they'e worse than E-One

Nighthawk
30-09-2004, 03:02 PM
>>THERMALTAKE TT-420AD ATX420 w/PFC +W0008RAC 2 FANS
Sorry, i pasted that twice. Dont think i want 2 of em :-P

Uhhuh, this is good stuff. Im going to forget the video card cooler.
ill look for an antec psu, although ive been advised to get at least 400W
I now know 333mhz ram is what i should get, i just choose the 400mhz because it was similar price to 333mhz and i thought i was getting a good deal.

I definitely want a cpu cooler/heatsink. The purpose is for the possiblity over overclocking.

Right now i have:
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton @ 1.83mhz
Asus A7V600 KT600 Motherboard (Overclocking support, DDR400 max)
300W max Hyena PSU
40Gb Harddrive 7200rpm
asus V9520 Magic Geforce fx 5200 (sucked in to buying a budget card :P)

I also plan to upgrade my graphics card but im waiting till the end of the year when prices should drop.

@ e-one the only other psu's that dont come with a case are:

Hyena 300watt ATX P4 Power Supply - $30.00 (already have)
Hyena 500watt ATX P4 Power Supply - $89.00
AcBel 400Watt Intelligent Power Supply, with LED FAN & 18dB Super Low Noise. & PFC - $98.00

Pete O\'Neil
30-09-2004, 03:10 PM
Dont expect to overclock very far with that motherboard, the KT600 chipset will really hold you back. Other than its inability to overclock its a very good motherboard.

If the price difference between DDR400 and DDR333 is small then you may aswell buy the faster RAM.

Those PSU's at E-One are absolute crap. Of the PSU's easily and readily avaliable in NZ Thermaltake, Enermex and Antec are probably the best. You cant make a judgement purely based on wattage, but a 400w Enermex/Antec/Thermaltake would definatly set you up for a while. have a look at this (http://forums.overclockers.co.nz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14881&highlight=PSU) thread over at OCNZ, its a very good resource to read when buying a PSU. swiftynz is widely regarded as one of the most knowledgable about PSU @ OCNZ.

Patrick 2003
30-09-2004, 03:52 PM
arent those Hyena psu's junk, and they blow up, there is a post on that somewhere..............

somebody
30-09-2004, 04:03 PM
I disagree. I am a happy customer, having purchased a full computer system from them earlier this year (QMB).

I know you are trying to stay with Auckland, but Ascent in wellington is quite good. http://www.ascent.co.nz. Their prices include GST and delivery, which makes them seem more expensive, but in reality they aren't.

Pete O\'Neil
30-09-2004, 04:06 PM
yeah i second Ascent they are very good, plus they speak english which is a big bonus :D. Plus you dont have to leave the comfort of your home to do your shopping.

somebody
30-09-2004, 04:51 PM
I ordered online with QMB so there was no issue there. Either or, if you know what you're after, does it really matter if the person doesn't have very good english?

Pete O\'Neil
30-09-2004, 04:55 PM
But if somethings wrong with the product its nice to be able to talk to someone in english. Its very hard to describe a fault to someone who cant understand what your saying. Its happened to me once before i was trying to return a faulty video card but because the person couldnt speak english it took me a very long time to get my money back.

somebody
30-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Fair enough.

Nighthawk
30-09-2004, 05:21 PM
well i emailed pc gear and they recommended antec 480W
i told them my specs and asked if i could arrange to meet them in their store and discuss what would be compatible with my current system and work something out.

Nighthawk
30-09-2004, 05:35 PM
just wondering
when im loooking at psu's and cooling systems
they often say:
works on p4 and amd k8 or amd k7
im confused..... isnt' k8 and k7 really old amd chips?
should i be loooking for amd or specifically amd athlon support?
or is k8 another name for something?
currently my psu is made for p4 and i have amd :-S

Elephant
30-09-2004, 05:41 PM
> >>THERMALTAKE TT-420AD ATX420 w/PFC +W0008RAC 2 FANS
> Sorry, i pasted that twice. Dont think i want 2 of em
> :-P
I agree. You don't need two.

I advise going and seeing the people at PBTech in Auckland.

On Saturday I am going to PBTech in Hamilton to buy more parts again. This is where I buy ALL hardware. They know what they are doing and I get a discount due to volume.

I have had to go to PBTech in Auckland in the past and found their service and prices to be quite satisfactory.

> Uhhuh, this is good stuff. Im going to forget the
> video card cooler.
> ill look for an antec psu, although ive been advised
> to get at least 400W
I would recommend Legend 400 RAM as it comes with a lifetime warranty. The RAM will fit and just scale down to suit the motherboard.

> I now know 333mhz ram is what i should get, i just
> choose the 400mhz because it was similar price to
> 333mhz and i thought i was getting a good deal.
>
> I definitely want a cpu cooler/heatsink. The purpose
> is for the possiblity over overclocking.
>
> Right now i have:
> AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton @ 1.83mhz
> Asus A7V600 KT600 Motherboard (Overclocking support,
> DDR400 max)
> 300W max Hyena PSU
> 40Gb Harddrive 7200rpm
> asus V9520 Magic Geforce fx 5200 (sucked in to buying
> a budget card :P)
Yes... Well... I like that comment. Sucked in were you?
When I build a computer I ask questions about the graphic card.
There is no point in inserting a graphic card in a system and pay nearly $1000 just for the card if you are not playing games.
>
> I also plan to upgrade my graphics card but im
> waiting till the end of the year when prices should
> drop.
You hope or you may want a better one at the same price.

This is surely about budget as I see it.

> @ e-one the only other psu's that dont come with a
> case are:
>
> Hyena 300watt ATX P4 Power Supply - $30.00 (already
> have)
> Hyena 500watt ATX P4 Power Supply - $89.00
> AcBel 400Watt Intelligent Power Supply, with LED FAN
> & 18dB Super Low Noise. & PFC - $98.00

So what do you actually need and what is the budget as it were?

Elephant
30-09-2004, 05:48 PM
> just wondering
> when im loooking at psu's and cooling systems
> they often say:
> works on p4 and amd k8 or amd k7
> im confused..... isnt' k8 and k7 really old amd
> chips?
No!!!!

K8 are new CPUs. 64 Bit which will not fit your motherboard. They actually use a 754 pin motherboard.

Could you actually say what you want to do????

> should i be loooking for amd or specifically amd
> athlon support?
> or is k8 another name for something?
> currently my psu is made for p4 and i have amd :-S

wintertide
30-09-2004, 05:48 PM
K6 is what you're thinking of - K7 is the AMD name for the Athlon XP's and K8 is for their new chips (I forget which ones :S )

Pete O\'Neil
30-09-2004, 05:51 PM
K7 are the AthlonXP's using socket A (youve got a K7)
K8 are the Athlon64's and AthlonFX's using socket 754 and 939 respectively

The older chips your thinking of might be the K6 and K6-2, these were the chips released before the Athlons. Everytime AMD does a major overhaul of their arcitecture they name the arcitecture K something.

If you looking to buy a HSF then you should be looking for K7 or socket A support.

If a PSU says its made for P4 it just means in has the extra 12v rail that was initially added for the P4. Just about all modern motherboards use this 12v rail (including Athlons) and all but the cheapest PSU's ship with the relevant connector. Its reckonmened that you plug this in as it will aid in overall system stability.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
30-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Haven't read the specs stuff, but in experience I wouldn't touch E-One computer, or their former parent company OEM Computers with a flaming sharpened barge pole.

Pete O\'Neil
30-09-2004, 07:27 PM
Are E-One and OEM the same? But they've got shops just down the road from each other? Granted their both pretty crappy and i wouldnt deal with either.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
30-09-2004, 07:34 PM
> Are E-One and OEM the same?

OEM were there first, E-One was started either by one of the directors or one of their senior staff.

There was a bit of back and forwards between the two of them when E-One started up.

Nighthawk
30-09-2004, 07:58 PM
>>So what do you actually need and what is the budget as it were?

budget: $485
i want to be able to overclock my cpu, as i heard athlon 2500+ is a good card for it, and could save me $$$ by overclocking instead of going for a newer chip. But the main reason for upgrading is for a new power supply and the memory.

my 300W is...terrible. I was 'impulsive' & 'stupid' when i bought mi pc.
so i want a new psu (antec 400W or higher) and 512mb ddr333-444 ram with it. i also want a new graphics card. but as my budget is $485 i think i'll just go for more memory and fans and get a graphics card later.

Nighthawk
30-09-2004, 08:22 PM
>>The thermaltake PSU's are good but you could probably get a 350w Enermex/Antec for less, which would be superior to even a 420w Thermaltake

i believe you, antec's good.

>>On Saturday I am going to PBTech in Hamilton to buy more parts again. This is where I buy ALL hardware. They know what they are doing and I get a discount due to volume.

PBTech doesn't sell Antec psu's, just 'acbel' 'hyena' and some others
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?page=pow

MartynC
30-09-2004, 08:58 PM
> > Are E-One and OEM the same?
>
> OEM were there first, E-One was started either by one
> of the directors or one of their senior staff.
>
> There was a bit of back and forwards between the two
> of them when E-One started up.

One of my mates got his stuff from OEM, didn't have a problem. Was thinking of going there myself to get a new system ?:| Should i not?

whiskeytangofoxtrot
30-09-2004, 09:25 PM
> One of my mates got his stuff from OEM, didn't have a
> problem. Was thinking of going there myself to get a
> new system ?:| Should i not?

Repeated bad experiences ordering online, backed up with english very second language staff causing HUGE communication problems has left me with a very sour taste. That was a couple of years ago, who knows, maybe they changed.

MartynC
30-09-2004, 09:55 PM
> > One of my mates got his stuff from OEM, didn't have
> a
> > problem. Was thinking of going there myself to get
> a
> > new system ?:| Should i not?
>
> Repeated bad experiences ordering online, backed up
> with english very second language staff causing HUGE
> communication problems has left me with a very sour
> taste. That was a couple of years ago, who knows,
> maybe they changed.
>

Has anyone else used OEM Computers in Manukau City? good (hoepfuy) or bad??

Lee76
30-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Stay away from OEM had very poor experiences there, technicians seem to be lacking seriously in knowledge. PB is expensive, Green PC is very very expensive.

I choose to use QMB Computers, prices are about the best! Online orders are also dispatched very promptly and courier charges are quite cheap, never had a problem with them.

Pete O\'Neil
01-10-2004, 07:37 AM
OEM are pretty crap, the european sales rep is quite arrogant and treats everyone as if they are n00bs, and the tech seems to think hes better than everyone else. There honestly very few computer shops in Aucland i would deal with, PBTech are very very expesive and from one ive heard could tell the difference between SD-RAM and DDR.

Nighthawk
01-10-2004, 07:58 AM
i think now the interest is here, ill link you guys up.
http://www.gpforums.co.nz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73874
go there, it shows all the computer stores in NZ and rates them.
its not a top 10 sites thing, its a forum like this one. I found it useful.
It says OEM computers are very good :-S. And yes... PBTech is damn expensive but PCGear are slightly cheaper, anyone reccomend or heard or 'orangecomputers'? www.orangecomputers.co.nz

btw im working 2day, so budget changed from $485 to $560 :P

MartynC
01-10-2004, 09:31 AM
Thanks for that :D I am now are of 2 minds of where to go. Maybe i should just buy a Dell from the Warehouse & get ripped off!!! :_| :_| :_|

Pete O\'Neil
01-10-2004, 09:36 AM
Dont buy a Dell, do you have the skills to build your own PC? Its not overally hard there are heaps of guides on the internet. If you comfortable building you own just order the parts online from the likes of Ascent etc. If your smart enough to realise that the Dell at the warehouse is not for you then your smart enough to build your own PC.

MartynC
01-10-2004, 09:54 AM
> Dont buy a Dell, do you have the skills to build your
> own PC? Its not overally hard there are heaps of
> guides on the internet. If you comfortable building
> you own just order the parts online from the likes of
> Ascent etc. If your smart enough to realise that the
> Dell at the warehouse is not for you then your smart
> enough to build your own PC.

Don't worry, i wouldn't buy a Dell. We had laptops from them at work a couple years ago & they where the pits. I have to use a Dell laptop at work now, but these (Latitude D600) are a bit better, but still, everyweek i complain to the IT guy wanting a Athlon 64M, buy his hands are tied.
I could possibly buy my own, not to good with building things, my collection of broken models & ships i just didn't quite get right showed that before i had to throw them out :D)
Also, with the premade system usally costing abit less than the indiviual parts, are you not paying in the price of the parts to have them assemble it? ?:|

PS is there a complete guide (in all or parts) to building your own PC in PC World Mag?

KatiMike
01-10-2004, 12:08 PM
There are some good guides in the PC World mags over the last few years re building your own 'puter - and quite a few of them are archived on the site . There are also quite a few sites on the net with step by step instructions . I found this (http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/index.htm) site very useful when I first had a go at building my own PC .

KatiMike
01-10-2004, 12:10 PM
oh forgot to mention Ascent will build up a computer for you with the components you specify - look under the PC Builder tab

MartynC
01-10-2004, 12:31 PM
> There are some good guides in the PC World mags over
> the last few years re building your own 'puter - and
> quite a few of them are archived on the site . There
> are also quite a few sites on the net with step by
> step instructions . I found
> this (http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/index.htm)
> site very useful when I first had a go at building my
> own PC .

Hi

Will grap the old PC World mags of our IT manager & have a look thru. The site looks helpful, thanks for that.

Apart from Ascent & OEM, are there any others that offer a Build your own PC service?

Thanks all

metla
01-10-2004, 12:55 PM
Any computer store will let you designate exactly what components are used in your comp.

Whats your locality?

MartynC
01-10-2004, 01:03 PM
> Any computer store will let you designate exactly
> what components are used in your comp.
>
> Whats your locality?

Sorry, i meant with an online build your own system. Sorry for not being clear.

I am in Papatoetoe (part of the City of Manukau) in the Province of Auckland

Billy T
01-10-2004, 01:43 PM
> PS is there a complete guide (in all or parts) to
> building your own PC in PC World Mag?

October 2004 PCW contains such a guide (starts P74). That's as current as you can get and covers models for all the main user types.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

MartynC
01-10-2004, 01:54 PM
thanks, will borrow a copy for the weekend :D

Pete O\'Neil
01-10-2004, 02:08 PM
The hardest part about building your own PC is mounting the CPU, if you brought your CPU and Motherboard locally im sure who ever you brought it from would mount it for free or a small fee.

I do alot of my shopping with PCTronix (Onehunga) now days, their prices arent the cheapest but the service is second to none. Very upfront and honest, would only sell you a ECS motherboard or a Celeron if he couldnt convince you to buy something that wasnt a pile of crap.

D. McG
01-10-2004, 03:08 PM
> The hardest part about building your own PC is mounting the CPU.

From personal experience, the hardest part would be actually fitting the heatsink & fan, rather than simply putting the processor into the socket and securing it. Especially due to the tough clips that have you worried whether you'll crack the flexing motherboard or CPU die while trying to get the last lugs around the tabs on the socket.

Other little things in the process can make it more interesting, such as using screws with the wrong thread size for fastening the motherboard to the stand-offs, discovering that the IDE cable isn't long enough / motherboard IDE connections are too far away for a second optical drive to be installed directly underneath the 1st (my CD-RW had to go in the next slot down), making sure the HSF cable is secured out the way so that it doesn't get caught in the spinning processor fan (it didn't get caught, BTW), or transferring a HDD with Windows (ME) from an old computer with a different make of motherboard to the new system.

Makes it more rewarding when everything's up & running.

Pete O\'Neil
01-10-2004, 03:13 PM
> > The hardest part about building your own PC is
> mounting the CPU.
>
> From personal experience, the hardest part would be
> actually fitting the heatsink & fan, rather than
> simply putting the processor into the socket and
> securing it. Especially due to the tough clips that
> have you worried whether you'll crack the flexing
> motherboard or CPU die while trying to get the last
> lugs around the tabs on the socket.
Thats what i meant

Elephant
01-10-2004, 03:20 PM
>
> PBTech doesn't sell Antec psu's, just 'acbel' 'hyena'
> and some others
> http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?page=pow

Well I would not go for Hyena but my Thermaltake 420W works for me and they do sell Thermaltake.

I have nothing against Antec. Just haven't ever used one. :-)