PDA

View Full Version : Will Windows auto-replace a missing paging file?

Billy T
30-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Hi Team

OS Win 2000 Pro

I'm trying to minimise the size of my back-up images and the paging file seems like a good item to exclude.

However, if I restore from an image that has no paging file, will Windows automatically recreate it on boot?

I don't want to buy into potential trouble by excluding the file so I thought I'd ask before adding it to the list of excluded file types.

Anybody know the answer?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

godfather
30-09-2004, 12:28 PM
Yes by the look of it.

MS say (for backing up server 2003, therefore likely OK for XP)

"If the value is null (blank), the system regenerates the pagefile on the target system based on the target system's memory configuration, regardless of the current pagefile settings.

It is also safe to delete the Pagefile.sys file from the master image to reduce the size of the master image."

godfather
30-09-2004, 12:29 PM
And likely OK for 2000 as well. Same core, same rules I believe.

beama
30-09-2004, 01:25 PM
yep it replaces it we dispose of the paging file when creating images makes the image file much smaller keep my Admin happy too :D

Chilling_Silence
30-09-2004, 02:20 PM
You can actually set Windows to clear the pagefile upon shut-down, so the next step would be to simply remove it. Ive done this once or twice before, but cant remember where to set Windows to clear the page-file on Shutdown.

It was re-created when I next powered on.

Chill.

Billy T
30-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Thanks All

That is another bite out of my image size. :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)