PDA

View Full Version : GeForce FX5700 doesn't like Asus A7V600

Growly
30-09-2004, 08:25 AM
Hi there,

Friend of mine has an Asus A7V600 Motherboard and a Chaintech GeForce FX5700 Graphics card. Whever he tries to play games, or run 3D intensive benchmarks, the computer freezes or restarts, with no error messages.

The same motherboard with a Radeon 9200SE works fine - so we thought it may be the card. But that card in my motherboard (a different motherboard) also works fine. It was even sent back to the manufacturer and came back as OK.

As far as drivers and software is concerned:

The operating system was reinstalled many times, both simple reinstalls and complete wipes. The drivers used have come from many different locations and many different versions - all the same effect. At the moment we are using the 61.77 drivers from nVidia.

My question is WHAT'S BROKEN?

Is it the card? Is it the motherboard? Is the the processor?!?!?!

Why does it work with one card and not another?

I thought it may to do with voltages or something silly...

CYaBro
30-09-2004, 09:13 AM
What sort of PSU has the PC got in it?
The FX5700 will need more power than the 9200SE.
You would want to have at least a 300-350W PSU and maybe even more depending on what else is in the PC.

Pete O\'Neil
30-09-2004, 09:19 AM
>I thought it may to do with voltages or something silly...
It shouldnt bee anything to do with voltages the FX5700 is 8x AGP and so is the motherboard. Does the video card have a auxilary power connector? (like on the 9800PRO and 6800's) If so is it connected?

Growly
30-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Yeah the voltages did sound unlikely, especially because the 9200SE is also 8x but still works.

The computer has a 400W PSU in it, and has had the same problem with a different PSU also - and the graphics card doesn't need an extra power connector...

Odin
30-09-2004, 12:01 PM
What about your motherboard drivers are they all up to date perhaps it is they that are causing issue, AGP bridge etc.

Pete O\'Neil
30-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Have you tryed flashing the mobo BIOS to the latest version? The last VIA chipset based motherboard i used was based on the KT400 so this is pretty old but they did use to have a seperate AGP driver perhaps that is worth a try? Or try emailing Asus and seeing if there is a known problem with your motherboard and video card?

Growly
30-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Thanks everyone - but I'm not there yet :s

I'm downloading the latest drivers now, but had a play with the voltages...

When set to auto for the AGP Voltage, the computer would crash before running the first test in 3DMark03... I put it up to 1.6V and managed to get through all the tests up till the second Sound test, during which it promptly restarted.

I'm opening to inferences - what could this mean?

Growly
30-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Oh, and I set it to 1.7v, during which it crashed on the second test of 3DMark03

metla
30-09-2004, 12:39 PM
How old is that mobo?,the first round of boards released with an 8xagp slot caused a lot of issues due to the standerd not being set in stone when they were released,I would update the motherboard bios if you havent done so already.

Pete O\'Neil
30-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Are you overclocking the CPU?

Pete O\'Neil
30-09-2004, 12:40 PM
> How old is that mobo?,the first round of boards
> released with an 8xagp slot caused a lot of issues
> due to the standerd not being set in stone when they
> were released,I would update the motherboard bios if
> you havent done so already.
Metla the A7V600 is based on the KT600 chipset so its not exactly an old motherboard.

Growly
30-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Nothing is being overclocked....

Except maybe the AGP Voltage now. Infact, with this higher voltage the only thing it's crashed on is the second 3DMark03 sound test...

Updated BIOS to latest revision. Interesting really, the thing crashed and restarted giving this error message for the first time...

http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/THE_PROBLEM!.jpg (I didn't name it)

Now I'm not sure if it is the problem or not - but I wonder if the latest drivers, which we installed, could be naughty? Bearing in mind it didn't work with the 56.64 or 56.72 versions from nVidia either...

Murray P
30-09-2004, 01:49 PM
So what were the error details "To see what data the error report contains, click here" or was it the usual unreadible MS (machine) report. If you turn off error reporting can you reproduce a more meaningfull error message in XP?

Cheers Murray P

Growly
30-09-2004, 02:13 PM
I dunno what it says under the Send error report button - from experience it isn't much use (it's always different :s). However it hasn't come up with that since then, so fingers crossed...

Patrick 2003
30-09-2004, 02:17 PM
> What sort of PSU has the PC got in it?
> The FX5700 will need more power than the 9200SE.
> You would want to have at least a 300-350W PSU and
> maybe even more depending on what else is in the PC.

true but not totally,
quoted from OCNZ forum:

"I have a 240 watt powersupply running:
AMD64 2800 @2.0ghz
1024mb of ram
3 120gig seagate 8mb cache drives
msi 9800 pro
LG dvdwriter combo drive
5 port switch
mx500 mouse
ms multimedia kb
bluetooth dongle
usb hub"

and a 9800pro is a beasty card isnt it???, so im doubting if its your PSU
HTH :D

Pete O\'Neil
30-09-2004, 02:27 PM
Patrick 2003 perhaps you should read some other threads over at OCNZ before posting, if you had you would know that not all PSU's are created equally. A favourite example of mine is a 500w Hyena vs. 300w Enermex, the Enermex would outpreform the Hyena even though it has a lower total wattage. Have a gander at this (http://forums.overclockers.co.nz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14881&highlight=PSU) thread.

george12
30-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Just because your mobo works with another video card doesn't mean it isn't broken - just not very broken.

If your drivers are up to date, your mobo drivers are up to date, you have SP2 installed, cand it still won't go, blame the motherboard.

HOWEVER, you say when setting it to 1.6V it only reboots on the sound test. Wouldn't sound have something to do with the sound card?

Just my 2c.

Pete O\'Neil
30-09-2004, 04:04 PM
It sounds to me as if his AGP/PCI frequencies are out of sync

Patrick 2003
30-09-2004, 04:16 PM
th shuttle psu's are pretty good for 250W if you read on

Growly
30-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Funnily enough, sound card is integrated - but the windows error suggests to me that this is more of a software conflict of drivers, not a hardware fault.

Although I always suspected there was something wrong with the motherboard that didn't shine through on other cards, it is growing less and less likely that the hardware is to blame.

What surprises me most is that cards so similar (the FX5600 and the FX5700) have different behaviour in the same motherboard...

Nonetheless I think it has been sold - as the card is not at fault, and the motherboard seems as fine as possible, then another card maybe the solution - these two simply weren't meant for each other.

Pete O\'Neil
30-09-2004, 04:52 PM
> th shuttle psu's are pretty good for 250W if you read
> on
I'm not sugguesting that shuttle PSU's arent good. What im disputing is that through your lack of facts you make it seem as if a 250w PSU will any PC. You made a vague post that was of no help to anybody, it would have mearly confused those who arent PC literate. Perhap next time you decide to post a snippit from another forum you could post a link to the entire thread so that people can read it in context. The thread at OCNZ just proves my point that you shouldnt buy a PSU purely based on its wattage.

Pete O\'Neil
30-09-2004, 04:55 PM
You need to remember that alot of people that read these forum are newbies. Sugguesting that because a shuttle 250w can run certain specs a 300-350w should also be able to do so is not a good idea. If you did some research you would see that good quality PSU's with lower wattage can run more powerful PC's than crap PSU's with a high wattage.

Patrick 2003
30-09-2004, 04:59 PM
do i sense a bit of anger towards me??? sorry. heres that link (http://forums.overclockers.co.nz/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16454&highlight=shuttle+250W) its a tad off this topic but has a bit of info

Growly
30-09-2004, 07:19 PM
Interesting to see so many references to other forums....

Anywho -

I set the card to run at 1.5v and it started crashing again. My confidence was shattered after, at 1.6v, the card ran for about 40 minutes of battlefield and then fatalled.

Pete O\'Neil
30-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Growly check your AGP and PCI frequencies, the KT600 is suppose to lock them at 66mhz and 33mhz repectively, but VIA wouldnt know what a PCI/AGP lock was if it hit them in the head.

Growly
30-09-2004, 09:14 PM
Will pass that on - unfortunately the computer has gone back to its home (at a friend's), I'll let him know and tell you how it got on...

Spacemannz
30-09-2004, 10:38 PM
what happens when u type dxdiag under start/run?? For directx?

Everything show OK?? That error looks like it maybe a directx problem.

Or maybe a faulty file, that directx installed.