PDA

View Full Version : Moving Programs on Partitioned Drive

Linz53
29-09-2004, 09:30 PM
Hi there, my Drive is partitioned C: D: E:
Most of the programs are in C Drive, but its getting too full and theres loads of space in D and E. Do I have to uninstall programs from C and then re-install to D or E, or can they be moved

Thanks Linz

P4 2.4Mhz
120 gig HD (C: 20g D: 50 E: 50)
512 MB Ram
XP Home

tweak\'e
29-09-2004, 09:48 PM
you are best to uninstall the program and reinstall it on the other partition. some programs can be moved but not many.

Spacemannz
29-09-2004, 09:49 PM
I would say its better to uninstall and reinstall on d or e. As most programs put info in the registry. And by copying the program/s across, Windows would get confused by where the program is. And the program, I would say would stop functioning/working.

Linz53
29-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the replies, I suspected that would be the case.
Linz.

Spacemannz
29-09-2004, 10:03 PM
No worries Linz HTH :)

Murray P
29-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Linz, can you shift some data files off C: instead, eg word, excel, photo's, music, etc. It's preferable to have data off your windows partition/drive (C: ) than programmes.

Cheers Murray P

parry
29-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Hi, If you have a program like Partition Magic you could simply resize the C partition and reduce the size of the other 2.

Linz53
29-09-2004, 10:44 PM
Good point Murray, I will certainly be checking that first, but alas most of that is already on D or E drives.....
I do have some rather large programs dealing with Graphics and also Audio Sequencing, and thats where the space is going. But in saying that, it may only take a few of the larger programs to sort the problem out. Theres only a little over 4 gig free in C drive, which is apparently not enough to do a defrag...

Cheers Linz.

Linz53
29-09-2004, 10:47 PM
Hi Parry, no I do not have such a program...is it a difficult job (assuming I had the program)
I feel pretty confident whizzing 'round my PC, but have never done anything in that area...
Linz

Susan B
30-09-2004, 02:15 PM
> no I do not have such a program...is it a difficult job (assuming I had the program)
> I feel pretty confident whizzing 'round my PC, but have never done anything in that area...

Partition Magic is not difficult to use but it isn't 100% foolproof either. Murray's suggestion regarding moving your data files to another partition or onto CDs would be the easiest and cheapest solution as Partition Magic is not that cheap.

You are in a Catch 22 situation - if you want to use Partition Magic you will need to do a defrag before repartitioning and if you don't have enough room to do so it makes things a bit awkward.

drcspy
30-09-2004, 02:21 PM
you can *try* to move programs with the help of an app called COA, (change of address) cant remember where to download it now but you'll find it........google..... the COA program can move some programs quite successfully but one time I tried moving MS word and it was a bit much for it I think........anyway.....give it a go

drcspy
30-09-2004, 02:22 PM
also run the 'cleanup wizard' it'll free up some space.........every bit helps

Linz53
30-09-2004, 06:24 PM
Thanks everybody for their replies !
I moved a couple of very hefty (audio related ) folders off the desktop and moved some other data files, uninstalled a couple of large programs (re-installed on E Drive now) Defagged C Drive, kicked her in the guts and now she's as good as gold !
Cheers everyone
Linz.