PDA

View Full Version : Fujifilm Vs Olympus digital cameras

Meg_h_nz
29-09-2004, 08:15 PM
Hi all. Just been searching out deals on digital cameras and we have got it down to 2 different brands with somwhat similar specs. The brands are Fujifilm FinePix and Olympus.
What if any experience have you had with them?
Any need for aftersales service? If so how was it?
Many thanks :-)

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
29-09-2004, 08:29 PM
Fujifilm wins hands down (as long as it is not Parallel Imported, in which case it depends on the shop.

Fujifilm has a head office conviently located in Albany (Auckland). From buying to aftersale recall type information, and willingness to give support when necessary, I have found them to be top in their field.

I'm a proud owner of a Fujifilm FinePix

R2x1
29-09-2004, 09:06 PM
As the owner of A Fuji S3000, and with a daughter who uses an Olympus, I would say it depends on your use for the camera. My Fuji cannot take an undistorted picture, it is somewhat limited in it's settings, and it has a "feel' like a piece of junk. (A somewhat personal view) As an example, Photoshop cannot "stitch" Fuji images to give a panoramic image - there is too much distortion.
My daughter's Olympus has a superlative lens, a great "feel", and a much better finished result.
My camera is just slung in it's bag (quite a good brand) and taken anywhere, so it is usually close to hand if a picture is called for, that is a plus.
I have had two Sony's, and could not reccomend them highly enough, but the first was an entry level camera and a litttle limited for my needs, so I got the top of the line model : a great camera and a pleasure to use. regrettably, I valued it so much, it was usually left home in a safe place, which does not help catching fleeting images.
The Olympus seems to be a better value item than the Fuji, although both were similar price and specs. Maybe Fuji can now make a reasonable lens, so my somewhat dated model may not be typical of a current model.
Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase.
R2

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
29-09-2004, 09:28 PM
> The Olympus seems to be a better value item than the
> Fuji, although both were similar price and specs.
> Maybe Fuji can now make a reasonable lens, so my
> somewhat dated model may not be typical of a current
> model.

As far as I understand, Fuji may have fixed the lens to make it better to compete with other brands in their latest release of a complete new range.

Owain Glyndwr
29-09-2004, 10:54 PM
Hi, Meg.

We've had a Fuji 6900 Zoom for three years, and I love it. Lens is fine. It had to be returned (out of warranty), for a chip replacement, to Albany, North Shore and the service was slick and reasonable. No problems since.

OG

Murray P
29-09-2004, 11:04 PM
> Fujifilm has a head office conviently located in Albany (Auckland)

Convenient for who?

Hop over to the side by side comparisom at Digital Photography Review (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp) then read up the full reviews of the individual cameras you've shortlisted.

Cheers Murray P

metla
29-09-2004, 11:08 PM
>Convenient for who?

New Zealanders of course, aparently all of whom reside in Auckland.

beetle
29-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Convenient?????

Jafa land, NZ stops at the bombay hills doesnt it??????:p

Auckland is NZ isnt it?

:D

beetle

beetle
29-09-2004, 11:26 PM
Oh forgot, i have a Fuji S5000, great camera, just dont get parallel imports if you can possibly help it.

have tried a few others of friends, assorted brands, models, but i like this best.

go for what you can afford, and suit the needs of what you plan to do with it.

beetle

Bazza
29-09-2004, 11:47 PM
Hello Meg
Are you asking about the camera qualities, or just after sales service?

Some others have advised about the likely service.

As far as the camera's quality. Both are very good. I have/used 3 Fuji's. They were all excellent. 2 & 6 megapixels.

R2x1 talks about some lens problems with a Fuji S3000. It really is not an 'out dated' camera. His camera must be an exception with that problem, because I've seen great results from that camera.

As to the Olympus, I dont have any experience, but I know other users who have. The image quality is excellent. Highly recommended.

If you are mostly considering the quality of images, either brand will a be very good choice.

Meg_h_nz
29-09-2004, 11:58 PM
Thank you for all the answers. Thanks too Murray P for the great link.
As for back up service I know that Auckland is not always convenient for after sales service (I live in South Otago!!) but Auckland is better than no service at all! I found that Fuji has a NZ website but Olympus has us thrown in with Asia.
One other issue with digital cameras we noticed today was that even though they are getting smaller that isnt always easy for larger male hands to operate them.
Have a great eveing :-)

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
30-09-2004, 12:01 AM
> One other issue with digital cameras we noticed today
> was that even though they are getting smaller that
> isnt always easy for larger male hands to operate
> them.

Indeed, my one is small, but thickish. Hence, my father can firmly grip it properly without letting it slip.

KatiMike
30-09-2004, 12:27 AM
...any reason to dis Canon? ... I own one which is really old , yet still takes fine pix , and has a great lens , even with it's "puny " 2.0 MP still looks OK as a 6 x 4 print .. however it has huge [ like 0.5 sec ] lag sometimes , and that is a real pain ... lotsa reviews don't consider this and it ticks me off heaps more than quality etc - for goodness sake you aim , take a picture and 500 ms later you've missed the action ...
\rant

Biggles
30-09-2004, 10:10 AM
>As for back up service I know that Auckland is not always convenient for after sales service (I live in South Otago!!)

Olympus cameras are distributed in NZ by HE Perry Ltd, which has its head office in Christchurch. They have therir own service setup there but I suggest if you wnat to know exactly what their service and supprt situtaion is with Olympus cameras you give them a call.

http://www.heperry.co.nz/index.php

As for Fuji versus Olympus, the Olympus cameras I've reviewed have been some of my favourites - the C5060 is a fantastic camera and the C8080 is the best of the 8-megapixel, non-SLR cameras.

Fuji cameras are also well designed but I've got an issue with the lack of control they give you over JPG compression. Fuji and Kodak both have a tendancy to use too much compression - even when offering "Fine" settings. That aside most of the Fuji cameras I've seen have been well made and offer good features. But the JPG compression issue is a big minus for me personally.

Winston001
30-09-2004, 10:47 AM
In terms of brand reputations, I used to favour Olympus for film cameras over Fuji. Having said that, I've known a number of Olympus cameras to have expensive electronic problems. Fuji used to be a bargain brand with average quality but they have lifted their game in digital. Godfather seems very happy with his Fuji. Beetle is happy but she hasn't told you her warranty problems!!!!!

Personally, after reading reviews all over the Web and in PC World, for 6 months, I chose a Canon A70 (now A75). I cannot fault this camera. Yes, it would be nice to have a bigger zoom, and a rotating lcd screen (as has the A80 ) but otherwise brilliant.

I am sold on Canon as a brand. My 10yr old Canon SLR is brilliant too. Pity that it now sits unused.

Biggles
30-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Canon's new A95 is very good too.

leonidas5
30-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Purchased a fujifilm finepix s3500 a month ago and very pleased with it. Look carefully at Pricespy.com - big variations in Price.

I talked a major retailer into matching best price @$509 which is well below quoted by several retailers.

DSE have cheaper picture cards at present too - 89.00 as opposed to 128.00, for 128mb cards

Nice camera, easy to learn details and will suit many uses.

Have fun
Leon

Meg_h_nz
30-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the info Leon, that is the exact model we were looking at from Fujifilm. It seemed to be easier to handle and the controls were simpler than many of the others we tried. I checked it out on PriceSpy and the lowest price at the moment is $498.62 inc GST , way cheaper than any where else. We dont have a major retailer near us so we will probably buy online.
Have a great day
Meg

Murray P
30-09-2004, 02:36 PM
Watch out for parallel importers Meg. Although it should not make any difference how the seller operates to NZ consumer law, in the real world parallel imports can be a real hassle to get serviced. Some, well known, camera retailers in particular have a habit of hiding the fact that you are not buying something that is supported by the manufacturers local agent/rep and a bricks and mortar retail presence does not necessarily mean such support.

Cheers Murray P

leonidas5
30-09-2004, 04:22 PM
Meg,
If you are in South Otago, look again at Camera Express which you should have found in Price Spy....it is part of Chemist Express based in Gore. Go Southland!

Yes you can get it at 498.00 but will pay $10 courier whereas Camera Express is free delivery in NZ

I have no interest in them by the way.

Meg_h_nz
30-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Thanks , I have bought from the Express group in the past and found them excellent. We were going to be purchase an extra memory card when we purchased the camera so that would take the price to over $500 and give us the free shipping, still not a bad idea to support a South Island business......
Thanks for the help

Owain Glyndwr
30-09-2004, 11:58 PM
My Fuji Finepix 6900 Zoom takes Smart Media. I bought a 128MB from DSE recently for $62.

As I've said before, that's a nice camera, but the best one I've handled is my wife's Minolta DImage (as in D Image?) A1. It's a bit up the scale in price, though.

OG

Meg_h_nz
09-10-2004, 07:46 PM
Well we have had our Fujifilm FinePix S3500 for nearly a week and so far we are very happy.
Great quality pictures and so easy to operate (my gadget challenged husband picked it up and has figured it out and he cant even set the VCR to timer record!)
Thanks for all the comments and recommendations.

Have a great weekend

Meg

Ian R
05-06-2006, 02:19 PM
I bought 2 A345 finepix cameras. On both of them, the lens mechanism went wrong. The first was within two weeks of purchase, the second within five months. On sending them back to Fuji, we got a one line curt brush off, refusing to repair. Has anyone else has a similar experience?

Thomas01
05-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Probably both pretty good cameras. But I cannot help but notice how consumer associations who test them seem to always pick the Olympus.
As do some of the web sites set up for info on cameras. Well they did when I bought my first Olympus. But it was too good a camera and got stolen! I replaced it with an Olympus C5060 mainly because the reports I read seem impossibly good. The only fault I have against is that it is a little heavier than I really wanted - but what a magnificent piece of engineering. It has a wide Zoom amongst other attributes and is so good that even now I cannot believe it.
I just wish I was good enough photographer to really use it as it should be used. Whatever you choose - I hope you get the same pleasure and reliability I am enjoying.
Tom

Shortstop
05-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Both are good brands - I've had experience lately with 2 Fuji models and they're great. Beware of Olympus using AA batteries - they're not compatible with NiMh rechargeables - will discharge them after only a few shots.