PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Modem NET GEAR

stevesumner
29-09-2004, 07:25 PM
NetGear DG834G, ADSL modem, Firewall, 4-Port 10/100Mbps Switch, 802.11b/g Wireless + WG511, Wireless Ethernet Adapter, 54Mbps, 802.11b/g, PC Card

Hello all,

I have just seen the above modem listed with www.ascent.co.nz for $261.69. Does anyone have any ideas on this? I am getting ADSL next month and am looking for a modem. i like the wireless features of this one as well as the wireless pc card included. seems like a good deal.

what do you all think?

If I don't go for the wireless network option, what other modems would you recommend. I have also seen that ethernet is better than usb, is that true?

Cheers

Barnabas
29-09-2004, 10:40 PM
I just bought one today off Ascent so once I have it up and running Ill let you know how it goes.
B.

Murray P
29-09-2004, 10:57 PM
Chris Keal has a bit of info on the NetGear in the latest NZ PC World (Editor's Notes).

Cheers Murray P

brewer
29-09-2004, 11:10 PM
I think your goal against Scotland was a masterpiece in perseverence. Typical captain`s goal. You should have played for West Ham.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
29-09-2004, 11:11 PM
NetGear are well renowned for making extremely high quality networking equipment.

I've never used their ADSL kit, but a number of their other networking products and their sales/support/reliability etc comes highly recommended

KatiMike
30-09-2004, 12:02 AM
go forth and enjoy
IMHO it's a great little unit
:)

KatiMike
30-09-2004, 12:09 AM
BTW Yep ethernet is swags better than USB , esp if you're in a marginal zone wrt signal strength ...
And I think Dynalink are good as well - at least worth considering ...

stevesumner
01-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Hey, thanks everyone.

I would be very interested in what you discover, barnabas.

Cheers

Barnabas
03-10-2004, 05:22 PM
Ive been mucking around with my new router over the weekend and thought Id give you a quick lowdown ss.
Initial setup was very easy. Just plugged my laptop into the router, put the ip addy in and I was in to the config page for the router. Filled in a few settings, changed password etc and away I went.
After about an hour 1/2 I had my wireless access point with Jetstream connecting my laptop with server2k3 on it, which goes into a switch which also connects my desktop which has Woosh connected to it (I had to bridge the connection on the server to get this to work). I also configured my work laptop to connect to the router so that I can vpn into work without getting out of bed. Perfect :-) .
The wireless range of the router might be a bit iffy but Im still mucking around with different placements of it. I tired a firmware upgrade, which is pretty easy, but didnt seem to make much difference. I suspect the main problem is that it just isnt up high enough but I dont really have any options there.
Overall Im very happy with the unit. It looks really sleek and unobtrusive which is a plus, as well as having all + more functionality that I need.
If you have any questions feel free to ask.
B.