PDA

View Full Version : What is mounting?

Scattershot06
29-09-2004, 04:31 PM
Mount, mounting, what does that mean? such as mounting a CD-ROM for instance.
When I think of mount, I think Mt. Everest, Ruapehu etc
So can anyone explain this to me plz?

Jams
29-09-2004, 04:34 PM
its mostly to do with Linux distro's. im not to familiar with linux but i think you have to "mount" a drive in order to see it and use it.

i applaud correction if i need it.

Cheers
jams

metla
29-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Strange,when i thing of mounting i visulise sheep.....

It means to load an Image of a cd onto a virtual cd-drive,or to run software in such a way as to emulate a cd-drive reading it from a cd...

Winston001
29-09-2004, 04:49 PM
> Strange,when i thing of mounting i visulise
> sheep.....
>
And no doubt gumboots to put the hind feet in. :D

Graham L
29-09-2004, 04:57 PM
When you try to look at the "CD drive" (say) "D:" without a disk in it, it shows as empty. "D:" is a mount point. If you put a physical CD in, it is automatically mounted there, and its contents become accessible.

The mount point is a logical thing. It's a "fixed place" where the OS can access the contents of many physical disks which can be interchangeably mounted there.

This doesn't affect you if you use only Windows and the only removable media you use are CDs or floppies. Mounting is automatic in Windows.

You can run into problems if you use USB "disks", and don't use the Eject function to tell the OS that you are removing it. For speed, directories are cached in memory and if the contents have been changed and the updated directory in memory is not written out to the device before it is removed ... :_|

The terminology and concepts come from real operating systems, and date from many years before Windows. *nix uses mount points extensively ... it's possible to make major changes in disk layouts and usage without even rebooting.

theother1
29-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Thigh waders Winston

Billy T
29-09-2004, 08:09 PM
:^O

Must have a shortie if he needs thigh-waders to get the poor sheep close enough.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D