PDA

View Full Version : computer

bethaneise
29-09-2004, 02:03 PM
i turned my computer off this morning after using it. I went to turn it on this afternoon and nothing worked, can someone suggest what the problem might be .

metla
29-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Its broken.

ApeNz
29-09-2004, 02:12 PM
is it plugged in

metla
29-09-2004, 02:14 PM
If we have to go through a 80 step question and answer process just to find out a bit of basic info im gonna stamp my foot........ TWICE!!!! ,AND START WRITING IN CAPS.11111

Anyhow,Threadstarter,please read the sticky thread on how to get help,and provide some more info.

Jams
29-09-2004, 02:17 PM
Metla.

"it broken".

PMSL. you so damn funny :D.

Beth. fill us in on a little more info. by "nothing works" do you mean it wont turn on ?.
try and give us a more detailed description, it will be easier for us to help you :)

ApeNz
29-09-2004, 02:17 PM
it still may not be plugged in so there will be no need for more info

Jams
29-09-2004, 02:21 PM
is it your job to state the obvious Ape ?. or do you do it just for the hell of it ?

ApeNz
29-09-2004, 02:23 PM
sometimes stating the obvious is all thats needed

beetle
29-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Guys, give the person a break, sometimes ya just get a blank, and dont know what to post, (cant say i have had many of those cos i always have to much to post.....:p)

but..........

who when something broke on their puter thought clearly?
if there puter is not going , how are they posting this? ??? from home or elsewhere?

we need a little more info such as specs on the machine, OS, etc

whether power - lights up or no sound no nothing happens.
whether it is plugged in correctly, any new progs installed prior to this?
and is it SP2 loaded?

hope we can help.

and guys is boredom setting in? not enuf postpadders about today? :p
nothing juicyto fix or squabble about? :D

beetle

ApeNz
29-09-2004, 02:36 PM
"and is it SP2 loaded?"

lol

beetle
29-09-2004, 02:50 PM
whats wrong with that question? not quite how i meant it but any....:p

it was the thought that counts right?
?:|

:D
beetle

alphazulusixeightniner
29-09-2004, 05:26 PM
" If we have to go through a 80 step question and answer process just to find out a bit of basic info im gonna stamp my foot........ TWICE!!!! ,AND START WRITING IN CAPS.11111"

:^O Roflmao :^O

george12
29-09-2004, 07:20 PM
There are several things your post could have meant. I will go through them all.

If you mean that you press the power button, and nothing happens - no fan noises, whirres, beeps, display on screen etc:
---------------------------------------------------------------

It could be a dead motherboard that won't initiate the power supply when the button is pressed, the power supply could have failed, there may be a componet (CD-ROM drive etc) that has shorted, or a plug may have fallen out (check the power wire at the back of the computer, any 4-way boards etc).

If power is getting to the machine, it means that it is indeed a problem with the computer, and we can move on.

Next step, open the case and unplug all non-essential devices that connect to the power supply, such as the floppy drive, hard drive(s), CD-ROM and DVD drives (but leave the fans connected).

Try again. If it turns on now (you can expect a few errors as the components will be expected), one of these components are faulty.

If it still won't go, check the power connector (20-wire, colourful) is firmly connected to the motherboard, and the power switch (2-wire, red and black) is connected to the motherboard. They both should be if you haven't been fiddling around in there.

Next, borrow a mate's power supply, and put it in place of yours. If this doesn't work then it's your motherboard.

Turns on, you hear fans spinning but no life, screen doesn't turn on, no beeps.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard dead, ram dead, cpu dead. One of those three (probably).

Turns on, series of beeps, no screen output
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RAM or CPU most likely

I could help more if you were more specific

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
29-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Some of you guys are so sad some times to be honest, if you got nothing good to say, i.e. cannot help, then don't (as per forum rules).

Beth, I would check out the power supply for a start. When I had this problem, the power supply was broken, many other friends have also had a problem. But other than this, I'm afraid we cannot help much more unless you give us more details.

nalla
29-09-2004, 08:21 PM
It has already been pointed out as possible PSU or Motherboard.
If it is any help I had exactly this problem with a top of the line Gigabyte MB only 2months old .

R2x1
29-09-2004, 08:51 PM
>> can someone suggest what the problem might be .

Yes.

R2

whiskeytangofoxtrot
29-09-2004, 10:14 PM
> Some of you guys are so sad some times to be honest,
> if you got nothing good to say, i.e. cannot help,
> then don't (as per forum rules).

Jeez lighten up. There is also a forum post right below the rules to teach the uninformed how to write posts that will actually give the information needed to fix a problem.

A thread title of "computer" is hardly a good start. Would you walk into a mechanic and say "car" and expect it to be sorted?

sandyb
29-09-2004, 10:49 PM
i have to agree "lighten up". As some first time users find turning on a computer daunting enough let alone posting on a help forum. I know i am not a casual on this forum but it is my favorite and i visit it every day because of the general friendliness and i tend to learn from reading rather than asking. I would not of even known about searching the posts or what faqs even were until i asked. Everybody should be treated with respect and perhaps pointed politely in the right direction rather than blatantly informed they are doing something wrong without knowing it.

Murray P
01-10-2004, 07:01 PM
Hows your computer Bethaneise, any progress in resolving your problem?

Cheers Murray P

ApeNz
01-10-2004, 10:23 PM
wheres the guy who posted this gone - i think this thread has been hijacked - we scared him off