PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard won't detect over 32gb HDDs + A Geforce4 MX440

Zante
29-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Hi

I bought a pretty old motherboard it runs a 433mhz celeron on a slot 1 it looks like. I have now had about 3 weird problems with it. Firstly the motherboard won't detect anything over 32gb. I put my 120gb into it and its a no go until I limit it to 32gb it's fine. And also I tried to get a Geforce 4 MX 440 working and it works on the defaults fine, but as soon as i try to install the drivers to get the OpenGL and stuff working. It looks like it installs fine but then it restarts and it hasen't changed anything. Lastly the IDE channels have an extra pin so none of my new IDE cables work. The only ones that fit are ones from a macintosh clone.

Please help =(

Jams
29-09-2004, 01:51 PM
i think that may be your problem in the first sentance.

"pretty old". you may want to invest in a slightly better board.

Zante
29-09-2004, 01:56 PM
*Sigh* I don't have the money. Otherwise I would buy a new board wouldn't I.

Terry Porritt
29-09-2004, 01:57 PM
From the fogginess of a heavy head cold lets see what we can suggest :)

It is not weird that the board won't detect over 32 GB hard drive, that would be normal for that age of motherboard.
It is possible that an updated BIOS flash file could solve that problem, but much safer at this stage is to download a disk manager program from the HDD manufacturers site that will enable larger drives to be used.

Much better though would be to get a PCI IDE controller card as this will not only enable large drives, but give you faster UDMA/ATA 133. Your board may only go up to UDMA 33.

Dont know about the video problem, but with the IDE cables, you will have 80 wire IDE cables, some of these have one of the pin sockets blanked off. If you examine the IDE pins on the board and the plug on the cable you will find which one is blanked.

You can open it up with a small drill.

Terry Porritt
29-09-2004, 02:03 PM
A bit more....
If you look at the end of the IDE cable plug that plugs into the board, with the location 'pip' at the top, then the blanked off hole is 10 along from the left on the bottom row of holes.

Spacemannz
29-09-2004, 06:22 PM
What version of windows are u trying to install it on 98? 2k/XP??

I would say coz you're trying to format in FAT32. If you're using 98. Just partition it so each partition is under 32gb.

Or if you're installing XP, format it in NTFS. NTFS can see more than FAT32 / Windows 98.