PDA

View Full Version : opinions about registry cleaners

Hotkiwi
29-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Smart people leave their fingers from the registry. Still i gets clogged up with mess. Do you think that Windows is well enough taking care of this or is there a place for regsirty cleaners? Proghrammes like Registry Mechanic are very popular at the moment, be it the free version or the more extended pay-for. But looking at the files to potentially delete, one always has his doubts........... Get a cleaner or forget about it?

Cheers
Johan
North shore City

(yeah yeah, we want our motorcycles to use the buslanes)

metla
29-09-2004, 01:43 PM
Yes,they have a place,just make sure a backup of the registry is done first,and you know how to whack it back into place in the event of a meltdown.And don't trust an app that finds many many more reduntant entries then other apps.

I still use the long in the tooth Regcleaner and while some suggest its outdated and will cause greif im yet to have a single issue caused by using it,and I've run it on hundreds of comps.

Mike
29-09-2004, 02:20 PM
> I still use the long in the tooth Regcleaner and
> while some suggest its outdated and will cause greif
> im yet to have a single issue caused by using it,and
> I've run it on hundreds of comps.

I also still use (and recommend) Regcleaner. It's always done the job - why should that change now?

Mike.

metla
29-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Because it was designed for win98,the software enviorment has progressed (or changed at least) drasticly since then.

heaton
29-09-2004, 04:58 PM
For some time now I have used EASYCLEAN from Toni Arts and every time I did a registry scan it told me I had about 12 invalid entries which I would delete. Then I decided to try Registryheal and the first scan I did it told me I had 748 invalid entries. Yes seven hundred and fortyeight . I nearly went into a tailspin. The programme allowed me to examine each entry which I proceeded to do, but a lot of it did not make much sense to a non geek like me. So I stewed on it for a week and then as I had a complete image backup on an external drive, I took the bull by the horns and deleted all 748 invalid entries. Then tried most programmes and the computer certainly seemed to go faster and no problems reared their ugly heads. The moral of the story: Some programmes work very well and some don't seem to do the job properly. I am a keen photographer and since the advent of digital cameras have almost given up film. Now I noticed that a lot of the invalid registry entries seemed to mention the titles of pictures and I am wondering that if each time I do something like editing a picture it makes an entry in the registry and does'nt delete it when the editing is done. Something to think about.

Terry Porritt
29-09-2004, 05:31 PM
Heaton: Most likely all those entries were MRU entries, ie Most Recently Used entries for all the files and pictures you were operating on.

MRU entries can mount up to hundreds or thousands very quickly.

There is a small program called mrublaster which gets rid of just these from the registry:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/mrublaster.html

John Grieve
29-09-2004, 06:32 PM
Personally I think the best way to clean up the registry is to do it yourself. However most users do not seem to want to learn about the registry enough to make doing it yourself a safe proposition so using a program to do it is the better option for the standard user.

I tried and quite liked a program called Mcafee Uninstaller once upon a time and that is the one I would recommend having a look at. It has a 'quickclean" function which scans the registry for deletable entries which I have never seen make a mistake and it has a far more advanced tool called 'powerclean' which advanced users would find pretty good too work with.

The registry is not really that difficult to learn properly though and it is well worth the time to do so, so you can get in there and play to your hearts content.

FrankS
29-09-2004, 08:29 PM
Further to Terry's comment on MRUs if you are running Ad-Aware SE Personal Build 1.05 (freebee) tick Search for neglible risk entries, on Scan Complete bottom left will list Neglible Objects, these are invariably MRUs which can be deleted.
For Registry cleaning use JV16 Power Tools.

TonyF
29-09-2004, 09:29 PM
Thanks Terry - it found 170 !
> There is a small program called mrublaster which gets
> rid of just these from the registry:
>
> http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/mrublaster.html
>

Fishb8
30-09-2004, 07:51 AM
Another option is Registry Healer.
http://www.fixregistry.com/regheal/index.htm
Works for me.

Robby
30-09-2004, 10:18 AM
gidday,

I have used regscrubXP and has proved very reliable, as the name
inplys though, it only works with XP

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2048

cheers,

Robby

mark c
30-09-2004, 01:04 PM
I am running the old (but stable) Win98se and I use RegClean from MS and works fine. *touch beige plastic*

It's called RegClean but could be the same as RegCleaner. I'm still at the stage where I'm very cautious in the Registry. Like Metla says, you've got to be familiar with having a backup and bringing it into play if something goes wrong. And I'm not.

M2CW:D

braindead
30-09-2004, 01:38 PM
Check out: ACE UTILITIES at:

http://www.acelogix.com/details.html

I've been using it for some time without problems on XP Home

Susan B
30-09-2004, 02:13 PM
I have used RegSeeker for quite a long time now without any problems. It finds heaps of "unnecessary" Windows stuff to delete but I suspect much of that gets recreated again after a reboot.

After RegSeeker has done its thing there is seldom anything left for other registry cleaners to have a go at but not vice versa.

Backups are created by default so if you do have a problem afterwards you can restore the files but I have never had to yet.

Mike S
15-04-2005, 09:53 AM
Has RegSeeker ever appeared on a NZPCW monthly disc? [ anything to avoid a download in my rural dialup situation! ]

jcr1
15-04-2005, 10:45 AM
This thread has inspired me and I have just used MRU Blaster (found, horrors :horrified) , 828 entries.
Then I used RegClean and it placed an undo file where I can see it; thus a bit of confidence in the product.
Occasionally I will delete things from the Registry by hand. Very carefully and only stuff I know has no business being there.
As the man says on the Speights ad "its a hard road finding the perfect registry".

pctek
15-04-2005, 01:29 PM
I find most of them are a bit too cautious. Best to get in there yourself and delete, delete, delete.
Of course, you can stuff up if you aren't sure but I always have my handy Ghost image ready for over-enthusiastic deleting.

SusanB
15-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Has RegSeeker ever appeared on a NZPCW monthly disc? [ anything to avoid a download in my rural dialup situation! ]
I think I remember seeing it on one of the PC World discs once but have no idea which one. It is only a 315KB download anyway so it won't take you long to grab it on dialup. Try here (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/regseeker.html).

Although I have been using RegSeeker for years and on dozens of PCs without any issues I did encounter a problem with a computer this week which I suspect was caused by RegSeeker. The HP Pavilion computer running Windows ME lost its settings in "Add/Remove Windows Components" after running RegSeeker. Even though I probably could have fixed it by restoring the backup it was just as easy to fix with a registry hack so I didn't bother with the restore.

I am still not 100% sure whether RegSeeker did actually cause the problem because a number of utilities were run on that machine and this was the first time I have encountered that issue. It is worth reporting it though to make people aware of the importance of ensuring the registry is backed up before making changes.

Oh... and there is nothing wrong with being cautious when it comes to the registry. ;)

Rob99
15-04-2005, 03:22 PM
:@@: :@@: :@@:

Mike S
15-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the comments Susan B. I'll certainly bear your reservations in mind.

Jedi Master you have the better of me. I never took Latin at school, much to my regret later in life. I suspect your quote means "if anything can go wrong, it will". Was Murphy around when Latin was 'in'?

Please don't let this slide into a quotes session;I'm trying to stroke a computer here you know!! (Though Susan's last missive reminds me a little of "The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlamp of the oncoming locomotive").

Enough methinks.

Rob99
15-04-2005, 04:15 PM
It was that way when I got here; is the translation from my sig.

I was just poking a stick at Susan.

I also use RegSeaker, it is easy to use, and will back up it something goes wrong.

tweak'e
15-04-2005, 04:37 PM
Although I have been using RegSeeker for years and on dozens of PCs without any issues I did encounter a problem with a computer this week which I suspect was caused by RegSeeker. The HP Pavilion computer running Windows ME lost its settings in "Add/Remove Windows Components" after running RegSeeker.
i see that it was a fault in regseeker which is fixed in the later vers (a repair is advailable for those effected), however that is what you get for useing a BETA product to clean your registry.
unless you know how to fix pc's keep well away from beta products. btw regseeker is still in beta afaik. there are other regcleaners which are fininshed products and are more suited to most users (excludeing MSregclean which is to old to mention)

SusanB
15-04-2005, 05:56 PM
i see that it was a fault in regseeker which is fixed in the later vers (a repair is advailable for those effected), however that is what you get for useing a BETA product to clean your registry.Aww, tweak'e, that's a bit harsh, I didn't deserve that!! :eek: :p Geez, you don't change, do you? :p :D

And it wasn't fixed in a later version, they just issued a registry fix for it. ;)

unless you know how to fix pc's keep well away from beta products. btw regseeker is still in beta afaik. Yes, I agree that unless one is an experienced user then they should stay away from beta products in general. However, RegSeeker has been in "beta" ever since I first came across it several years ago upon the recommendations of experts on another very reputable computer forum so it's not like it is untried and unproven. It's just weird how they still label it as a beta product.

there are other regcleaners which are fininshed products and are more suited to most users (excludeing MSregclean which is to old to mention)Those "other products" may be out of "beta" mode, sure, but like all programs they are still susceptable to yet-to-be-discovered little bugs as each update is released. As I have said more than once, apart from this one very easy to fix recent problem I have never had any trouble with RegSeeker yet.

Ultimately, however, people must choose and use whatever they feel comfortable and safe with after doing their research.

SusanB
15-04-2005, 05:58 PM
I was just poking a stick at Susan.
<Pokes stick back at Rob99>

:p

Neil McC
15-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Where have you been, Susan B? Have missed your input.Or have you been lurking under another name?

Metla
15-04-2005, 06:20 PM
I was just about to ask her if the constant logging on under 2 accounts over the last half hour was a hassle...... :p

SusanB
15-04-2005, 07:36 PM
Well, it's a lot easier to do than when you are banned but no less dangerous I guess. :p :D

Metla
15-04-2005, 07:38 PM
As far as i know any alternate accounts of mine are banned upon sight when Im in the state otherwise known as banned....

Myth
16-04-2005, 12:03 AM
I'm currently checking out WinASO Registry Optimiser free.
Seems to be okay so far :)

Did use Easy clean before this and found it okay, but I'm one of these people who likes to step outside of ruts occassionally and experiment ;D