PDA

View Full Version : Icons on Desktop appear twice, but only one file in dektop folder

Graham Petrie
29-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Hi,

I have a problem with my desktop on my work machine. Recently, all new shortcuts appear as two identical icons on the desktop.

If I delete one of them, they both disappear, and if I select both and delete the icons are removed, but an access denied message appears (presumably because it is trying to delete the same icon twice).

Only one icon appears in the desktop folder, and it does not appear in the desktop folder for any other user (Win 2000).

Any ideas? My hunch is a registry glitch, but I can't see anything obvious in there either.

Regards

G P

beama
29-09-2004, 12:12 PM
have you checked default user and all users folders they are hidden system folders

Graham Petrie
29-09-2004, 12:27 PM
> have you checked default user and all users folders
> they are hidden system folders

Yes

G P

aliceruddy
31-03-2005, 10:52 AM
hey,
i have the same problem with my desktop(the file double on my desktop).can you tell me step by step how to fix the problem.thank you
Alice

Jen
31-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Hi Alice, Welcome to PressF1 :)

Are these shortcut icons or system icons such as My Computer, Recycle bin etc? What operating system do you have?

Have you checked the suggestions above and made sure you don't have the desktop shortcuts under your profile and also in either the all users or default profile? Having them listed in both places will cause a second set of shortcut icons to display.