PDA

View Full Version : Norton Internet Security 2005 purchase problems

dude13
28-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Can anyone enlighten me as to why it costs about NZ$110 to upgrade to NIS 2005 in NZ - when it comes out - yet I could download it for less than NZ$60 from the US site.

Also has anyone purchased any Symantec product online recently. I continually get an error when ordering. I have checked the credit card details, billing address etc but continually get the same error message. I do have a post box as on my CC bill. I have emailed symantec about two weeks ago and they haven't responded. I phoned symantec and they said they would gladly remove $110 from my card but other than that didn't really seem interested. I have purchased online with symantec but the last time was Oct 2003

Any assistance would be great

Cheers

theother1
28-09-2004, 06:12 PM
another reason not to pay for AV and firewall

tweak\'e
28-09-2004, 07:42 PM
with the problems i've seen with nortons and the high cost i would sugest looking for an alternative. :(

supergran
28-09-2004, 10:32 PM
When my Nortons subscription runs out soon, I am changing to AVG and am already using Zone Alarm. We have that set up on dd's computer, and it has stopped virus' and Zone Alarm is great, so I can't see the sense in paying even $60 when I can get the same cover free. Good luck in working it out though.

Rob99
29-09-2004, 12:17 AM
Free Anti Virus (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php)
Free Fire Wall (http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf/spf_ov.htm)

Big John
29-09-2004, 08:54 AM
> When my Nortons subscription runs out soon, I am
> changing to AVG and am already using Zone Alarm. We
> have that set up on dd's computer, and it has stopped
> virus' and Zone Alarm is great, so I can't see the
> sense in paying even $60 when I can get the same
> cover free. Good luck in working it out though.

Remember the old saying. "Nothing in life is free". You get what you pay for. If you pay nothing then expect nothing.

Me I am happy to pay for that extra security and support. Updates that happen daily at times when viruses come out quickly.
As an ex Virus Checker writer I know a lot more about them than I care to so to me the few dollars are nothing.
And I have never had a problem with Nortons that a support call or a check of their knowledge base has not fixed quickly.

theother1
29-09-2004, 08:57 AM
The only issues I ever seem to have with Zone Alarm (touch wood) are that it sometimes stops me connecting to some internet applications such as OE or IE when I first start up. I am using XP pro and when I disable ZA the windows firewall switches on. I don't know how or why as I am sure I didn't configure it like that, but it works for me.

drcspy
29-09-2004, 09:22 AM
I'd just liek to state that I have seen norton miss viruses that avg picked up..........now i use avg and it's good you can always use an online checker for backup why pay $120 for norton it's bloatware anyway

JJJJJ
29-09-2004, 11:03 AM
Would some smart Alec explain to me why Norton's top the poll every time a PC mag. does a review of secutity software. Judged by the experts too, not by some silly school boy who likes shooting his mouth off.
Jack

drcspy
29-09-2004, 12:11 PM
I hope you are not referring to ME with that 'silly schoolboy' comment.......I'm 44 years old an an experienced tech I support myself and my family with my work and I'm talkin from experience when i say I've seen norton miss viruses and installed avg on the same system and it's picked them up.................

drcspy
29-09-2004, 12:22 PM
ohhhhhh..........let me see........perhaps it was 'supergran' you were calling a 'silly schoolboy' ?.......bit dumb of you to 'assume' something about the person behind a name on the message board

metla
29-09-2004, 12:34 PM
> Would some smart Alec explain to me why Norton's top
> the poll every time a PC mag. does a review of
> secutity software. Judged by the experts too, not by
> some silly school boy who likes shooting his mouth
> off.
> Jack

Because its not a real world situation,and the advertising dollar is huge,plus they get stuff wrong from time to time,just look at the recomendation of IE2 as an alternative to IE by our most favourite of magazines.

Come work ( ok, observe then,but im sure you would sour my milk,and scare away the customers) in my shop for a couple weeks Jack,when you have a real idea of the damage done,the resources wasted on bells and whistles and how it doesn't do anything better (but does many things a lot worse) then a free alternative.

metla
29-09-2004, 01:17 PM
And im also wondering why a cynic such as yourself would be sucked in by a large corperation giving the thumbs up to another large corperation,Money after all is the bottem line.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
29-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Cool down guys! Remember the rules. Who cares what age and how experienced you are? You don't go around telling others your smart..... other people are meant to refer to you as being smart (if you really are)

Isn't this thread going off track? Afterall, this seems like just another AMD vs. Intel , etc. debate.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
29-09-2004, 07:52 PM
> Can anyone enlighten me as to why it costs about
> NZ$110 to upgrade to NIS 2005 in NZ - when it comes
> out - yet I could download it for less than NZ$60
> from the US site.

How legal is the download? Anyone can download anything these days....

tweak\'e
29-09-2004, 08:35 PM
> Would some smart Alec explain to me why Norton's top
> the poll every time a PC mag. does a review of
> secutity software. Judged by the experts too, not by
> some silly school boy who likes shooting his mouth
> off.
> Jack

nortons usually works fine. with pc mags tests they normally have a nice new clean system to run it on and they only use it for a short time.

most problems don't turn up till months/years down the track. it gets worse when a system is poorly maintain and exspecially so when the program isn't used correctly. one thing no mag ever tells anyone is if the antivirus isn't FULLY updated (which is a comman nortons problem) then it may not perform like it should.

its like a new car, the testdrives tell you what its performance is like new, not when its done 200,000 km.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
29-09-2004, 08:49 PM
Well said Tweak'e

Murray P
29-09-2004, 09:51 PM
Do a google for independent AV test lab results, make your conclusions from there.

In my own experience Nortons is buggy and not worth the time, others may have different experiences.

Cheers Murray P

drcspy
30-09-2004, 06:30 AM
I was quite justified in stating my age and experience because jjjjj seems to have made an assumptionn of youth and inexperience I aint a silly schoolboy and I anit just 'shootin my mouth off'.......as seen by the responses of others who have had similar experiences with norton.......

tedheath
30-09-2004, 08:01 AM
You get what you pay for if, you want quality buy Nortons if you want problems try the free stuff.
I tried ZA it was a pain in arse. Kept blocking sites I was visiting and kept auto dialing up as soon as the computer was booted up.
It pays to shop around for best price for Nortons. I bought their 2003 version from warehouse Stationery for $115.00

tedheath

drcspy
30-09-2004, 08:22 AM
hm.......each to their own........however judging by the responses from knowledgable folks who've worked on many systems and continue to do so on a daily basis I'd say 'free' is not necessarily 'problematic' at all......

benwallace
05-03-2005, 08:37 AM
I have been trying to purchase the 2005 Upgrade online and it just won't accept my details. :mad:
How are we actually meant to purchase this product?!
The customer service is crap and nothing they've said has helped, then they just give up. I've never ever had a problem paying for stuff online before. They need to get their act together.

Prescott
05-03-2005, 09:41 AM
buy it from a shop

mark c
05-03-2005, 12:45 PM
When my Norton expired years ago I tried paying the sub by phoning them in Sydney, they said they'd send an email. Got it but but there was no body to the message. I emailed back and explained. Waited days (nervously, as it was very close to expiry.) Emailed again, got another reply with an atachment that wouldn't open.

Gave up and went to AVG and never regretted it.

Just FYI. m