PDA

View Full Version : Buying a wireless router - Rave

theother1
28-09-2004, 06:44 PM
As some of you may know I have been on the phone and online today trying to track down a Wireless Router. It seems to me that no-one stocks them but just wait for someone to request one and then offers to get it in for them. Added to this they seem to be demanding full retail price. The prices I have been quoted or seen on the net in NZ$ have ranged from $180.00 including GST to $295.00 inc GST for the same unit. Now how does that work when the people charging $295 still don't have the unit in stock? It makes me mad. Added to that in more than half of the cases the person who I have spoken to has known less about the product than I have learned by reading what is on the side of the box and from the manufacturers website.
And another thing for all you people who persist in using atrocious spelling. I just noticed a spell check just two boxes to the left of the post message button. What is with that?

Rob99
28-09-2004, 06:58 PM
im two lasy to spall cheque

theother1
28-09-2004, 07:00 PM
raoflmfao

Pete O\'Neil
28-09-2004, 07:14 PM
Hvae u tyrd www.ascent.co.nz?

theother1
28-09-2004, 07:16 PM
Yes pete,
I have they were one of the cheapest (maybe the cheapest) but guess what? Out of stock and no date for availability!!!!!

Pete O\'Neil
28-09-2004, 07:18 PM
What router are you trying to buy? I know alot of Linksys products are often hard to source and often sell out before they even land.

theother1
28-09-2004, 07:22 PM
I think you might have recommended the Linksys one on another thread, Pete. Linksys WRT54G, I think, was the number.

Pete O\'Neil
28-09-2004, 07:42 PM
Yeah i did reckonmend the Linksys one, and they are often very hard to source. If Ascent says that they dont have a expect shipping date then its probably atleast a few weeks away. Ive found Ascent very good to deal with on numerous occasions and are generally pretty upfront in regards to problems and shipping dates.

Im not really a networking guru so i cant say what to look for in a router/ap but have you considered another brand? I only reckonmended the Linksys unit because im a fan of the brand and have heard good things about that particular unit.

How about the 3COM 3CRWE53172 (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=121599)
or the D-Link DI-624+ (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=132849)
or the NetGear WGR614 (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=112475)

theother1
28-09-2004, 07:53 PM
Thanks pete, it is always good to get some one else working for you.
The first one of these is only a b (ie 11Mbps) the second seems to be a g (54Mbps) but if you click on the larger pic it then says it is only a b (slower)
the netgear one looks promising and is seriously cheap if it is the one I want. I will do a bit more Homework and see what I see. As I am paying for Cable which gives 100Mbps I might as well get the fastest router available.
Having spent a fair amount of time in retail it annoys me that you have to do so much research to find the most suitable product. I think that should be the sellers job if they want to get a retail mark up

metla
28-09-2004, 07:58 PM
The markup is about 8 bucks.

Pete O\'Neil
28-09-2004, 08:02 PM
I wouldnt take too much notice of the picture. Knowing several PC retailers personally i know that as a last resort they often stick up a picture of a similar product if they can find a picture of the original product.

OMG i've seriously got to move to wherever you live and get me some 100mbps cable :D There are a couple of tricky dicky routers out there that use some flashy hardware/software to to crank the speeds up to around the 100mbps mark. Only problem with this hardware is you cant mix and match brands and you have to use specific hardware. This would mean that your Wifi card would have to be compatiable with your AP.

For example the D-Link DI-624 (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=121609). From what i have read your Wifi card would also have to be from the D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G series.

theother1
28-09-2004, 08:21 PM
I used to be on dial up, Until about two weeks agobut decided to change due to phone/fax/internet access issues in the larger family. figured that it would cost me about the same as the phone /internet/ISP deal I was on. Downloaded 28MBs last night in critical upgrades which I needed foe the "antique" and had been putting off due to time on line, download took adout 4mins.

theother1
28-09-2004, 08:24 PM
It would have taken me at least 15mins with an accelerator to download 1MB before.