PDA

View Full Version : New On-Line Monitor Test Site.

Billy T
28-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Hi Team

Since we no longer have access to E.ric/Earnie's monitor test pages,
I have found a new site Here. (http://www.monitorsdirect.com/toolkit/)

Go to the Launch Calibrator button.

It requires macromedia Flash, and unfortunately it only works in IE 5 or higher. In some tests I made in IE6, clicking on the Launch button produced a blank black screen. If that happens to you, use Alt-F4 to close that page and return to the start point. Note that some selections show a black screen for several seconds (depending on the speed of your computer and connection) before bringing up the info so be patient and only close if it is clearly not going to work.

You select your test from a menu, and each test screen comes up with instructions. To see the test across the full screen you have you click the Go button at the lower RHS of the screen

The site contains quite a lot of useful information about monitors, including FAQs and some good layman's expalations about LCD screens.

If anybody knows of other free on-line monitor test pattern sites, please post them here in this thread and I'll include them in my FAQs which I am currently revising.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

metla
28-09-2004, 02:07 PM
some of those grey scale things,

http://www.e-z.net/~haworth/messier/testpatterns.html

and a nokia app for setting up a monitor,haven't tried it but i would presume it would work for any brand.

http://www.construnet.hu/nokia/Monitors/TEST/monitor_test.html

Miami Steve
28-09-2004, 02:22 PM
I've used the Nokia monitor test utility for years on several brands of monitor. It's very easy to use (not dissimilar to the one that Billy T had a link for) but obviously is more portable - not requiring an internet connection or a particular browser.

Cheers
Miami

Terry Porritt
28-09-2004, 02:53 PM
Not online monitor testing, but here are two elderly dos programs that can be run from a floppy:

1/ http://www.computercraft.com/progs/monitors.zip

2/ ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/vga/svgat350.zip

Monitors is a suite of options, convergence, focus, purity, HV stability, etc.

The svgat350.zip file contains a program called mono.exe which generates a useful Philips TV type test pattern.

The advantage of utils that can be run from dos boot disks is that the utility can be taken to the computer where ever it happens to be, it doesnt even need an OS installed, just as long as it will boot from a floppy.

For 'floppy' you could also read boot CD.

Nighthawk
28-09-2004, 03:33 PM
does anybody know what:

adjust moire'

means on a monitor, it should be located in 'extra controls'
mine has

horizontal 0
vertical 35

seems to distort the focus on lines. is there any recommeded value?

whiskeytangofoxtrot
28-09-2004, 04:20 PM
This might help (http://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+moire&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official)

Billy T
28-09-2004, 04:33 PM
Moire adjustment is made to correct a visible effect, not to any particular numeric value.

Moire is a term given to describe wavy or elliptical patterns that may appear on the screen and is produced by the optical interference pattern between the scanning of the image and the dot-pitch of the screen, or more precisely, by the relationship between resolution, monitor pitch, screen size, and image pitch.

Your monitor manual will tell you how to adjust it, and what screen to use. Usually it is a white screen, but your mileage may vary. The controls are adjusted to minimise the wavy "watermark" moire effect.

If you didn't or don't have the problem, you shouldn't be playing with that setting.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
28-09-2004, 04:37 PM
Good try WTF, and the historical theory is well covered, but not for electronics. Unfortunately there is nothing there that will really help.

He needs to either RTFM or leave it alone.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
28-09-2004, 04:42 PM
> I've used the Nokia monitor test utility for years on
> several brands of monitor. It's very easy to use (not
> dissimilar to the one that Billy T had a link for)
> but obviously is more portable - not requiring an
> internet connection or a particular browser.

I intend to supply off-line as well as on-line sources so that the very keen can have it available anytime, and the once in a lifetime users can just call it up on the net. I want as many sources as possible because links die, and a range of options will last longer.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Terry Porritt
28-09-2004, 06:08 PM
The classic original Moiré fringe pattern is obtained when two optical gratings are superimposed at a very slight angle.

The principal is also used to measure displacement by having a long grating in the axis of motion with a small inclined grating to produce the fringes, and a fringe counting device.

Just thought I'd mention it to show where it comes from :)

OldEric
28-09-2004, 06:46 PM
When did anyone last see moire effect??

Manufacturing tolerances are so good today that it is now a non-issue.

A good sit Billy with a genuine attempt to help the buyer.

Eric

lagbort
28-09-2004, 07:22 PM
just like to pint out that test ran perfectly in firefox 0.9rc for me

MrBeef
28-09-2004, 08:09 PM
Thats an awesome test.

Im surprised at my moniter, it was quite good, well i thought so anyway,

Philips 105s

lagbort
28-09-2004, 08:29 PM
yeah it really is subjective, i would still like to see one that could tell me my monitor refresh rate, i cant find info on it anywhere

phillips 170B4

Terry Porritt
28-09-2004, 09:10 PM
Most all CRT monitors show the current refresh in the On Screen Display.adjustment window, else it will be shown in the Display Properties- Settings-Advanced-Adapter.

Billy T
28-09-2004, 09:58 PM
The refresh rate is read from the video card and the monitor just does what it is told, so Terry's advice is correct.

The most you will find in a monitor manual is the range of refresh rates supported, i.e. what the monitor is designed to accept.

Cheeers

Billy 8-{)

R2x1
28-09-2004, 11:55 PM
Hi Billy T,

The initial link works fine with Firefox 9.1 and Linux. Sony Monitors appear to strain the tester more than vice versa ;)
R2

Vince
29-09-2004, 06:33 AM
Thanks for that, my Dell moniter gets a good 99%. I'm amazed. :-)Vince:-)