PDA

View Full Version : setting up a wireless network

theother1
28-09-2004, 12:34 PM
Thanks to those of you who assisted me in installing an ethernet card in my antique PC, esp Tweak'e who gave me the courage to take the cover off and get down and dirty with it. It works.
Now I want to know which Wireless Router is recommended and what is the difference between a router and an access point?
Access points are cheaper than routers, do I need both? or can I just use an access point? or do I just need a router?
My plan being to have the PC wired by ethernet cable to the Router (or Access Point) and use the onboard wireless capabilities of my notebook to connect to the router(or access point).
I tried to talk to people in shops but I felt like I knew more than them!!!!! which is a worry.
Ceers,
Rob

Spacemannz
28-09-2004, 01:04 PM
I think with wireless all u need are the wireless cards/whatever, and an access point, so it can pick up whatever else in the network and gives it a better signal (i think). Depending on where in a house the other devices are, if u want them to get on the net.

I think a router can also act as a firewall, an AP doesn't. It just boosts the signal. So, you can actually get somewhere!

An access point also has security tho...It would also depend on which card/s you have. The 802.11b or 802.11g.

An 11.g AP, if you have 802.11g cards and 11.b AP if u have 11.b wireless cards.

theother1
28-09-2004, 01:13 PM
Thanks for your response Space,
Do you know if it is possible to connect by ethernet cable to an Access Point.
Rob

metla
28-09-2004, 01:16 PM
How are you transferring the signal from the telephone jack to the comp at the moment,your using adsl so there would have to be a router in the equation already.

A wireless access point gives an inlet for wireless devices to enter a network and must be plugged into the router,a wireless router simply has the access point built into it.

Spacemannz
28-09-2004, 01:20 PM
Yup it should be possible. Check out the Dick Smith site

http://www.dse.co.nz

Type in access point under search. The first one to the right looks like it deals with wired networks, and can also bridge wired so its wireless!

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
28-09-2004, 01:27 PM
I think I should just pass on what I've found from my research just before going wireless last week. I shall talk about my 'facility' at the end.

-----

An access point is a wireless hub, i.e. it brings many computers into one point -to share files, printers or internet access. An router is one which connects via. the DSL line to the 'world wide web'/internet. Hence, what I have brought is what you have called as the wireless router. In it, I find, a router, 4 separate points in which I can connect my current computers in via. LAN, and an access point .. all in one! The access point is used to connect without wires with other PCs. So, you can have your desktop plugged into the intergrated hub, and the wireless card, that is installed on your laptop, to connect with the wireless access point in the 'Wireless router'.

Now, different systems of wireless networks. There is 802.11b and 802.11g The 'b' system is slower (usually 11-22mbps) . 'g' is 54mbps or more. Usually if you buy an access point that says it is 802.11g capable, then you would assume that 802.11b is capable too. But if it just shows the 802.11b, then 'g' cannot work. This is like two different platforms, so, you cannot buy a 'g' wireless network card when you have a 'b' access point. BUt, you CAN have a 'b' card on a 'g' system.

With security concerns, it should be fine as most access point should have a code that SHOULD be unique, this can be changed from time to time too to prevent your neighbours, etc. access your network (mind you, most access points can go 400m outdoor). The code is called SSID.

Just another info I got the other day, as I was thinking of using a USB pen-type wireless network 'card'. However, I discovered that if you have a USB 1.1 on your computer, then the fastest you can go is 802.11b

I brought myself a Asus AAM6020VI (http://www.asus.com/products/communication/adsl/aam6020vi/overview.htm). So far so good. Price wise, I got it for $210 incl GST.

Hope this is helpful information to you,

Good luck

theother1
28-09-2004, 01:32 PM
It is Cable Metla. Not a phone line in sight.

metla
28-09-2004, 01:42 PM
That explains the lack of a router then....

theother1
28-09-2004, 01:44 PM
so far!!!!!

metla
28-09-2004, 01:44 PM
So going back to the setup you have at the moment,i presume you have one ethernet port on your comp,which is currently inhabited by an athernet cable running into your cable modem?

Then i would suggest a wireless pci network card.

Job done.

Pete O\'Neil
28-09-2004, 01:54 PM
> That explains the lack of a router then....
You can get a router for cable, if his current setup is just the cable modem pluggin into a ethernet card on the pc then something like this (http://www.ascent.co.nz/mn-product-spec.asp?pid=113527) would do the job nicely. Offering a 4port switch to connect to a wired network, a router to share the cable connection, and a AP to add wireless connectivity.

metla
28-09-2004, 02:04 PM
No cable in my area so i have never had the oppurtunity to mess witha setup,Using that router would it then be possible to run the cable modem directly into the router?,and then have the router provide feed to the desktop and the laptop(wireless)?

Or does the cable modem have to be hooked dirctly into the host machine in order to work?

theother1
28-09-2004, 02:09 PM
that is dead right Pete,
The linksys router looks like a good one.
Thanks for the information.
Rob

Pete O\'Neil
28-09-2004, 02:10 PM
The cable modem would plug into the router and thus provide an internet connection to all those connected via the router/switch/ap. Perhaps contact your ISP/cable provide and just double check that what you buy is compatiable with your service.

The majority of routers sold in NZ are actually router/adsl modem combos, but to keep things simple are sold as a router. The unit i linked to above is just a plain and simple router with a AP and switch. It has an ethernet input that connects directly to the modem. Such units are more common in the states due to the variety of internet connections avaliable. The linsky router would also work with a ethernet DSL modem or the modem supplied with Woosh and Wired Country.

theother1
28-09-2004, 02:12 PM
As I understand it Metla, the cable comes in from the street and goes to the modem, the ethernet cable goesfrom the modem to the router, an ethernet cable goes from the router to the pc and the Notebook connects wirelessly to the router.
How does that sound?
Rob

theother1
28-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Going back to your previous post on this thread Metla, I think if it was configured as you suggest, (i.e. with a wireless ethernet card) the PC would have to be on before the Notebook could connect to the net

metla
28-09-2004, 02:18 PM
> Going back to your previous post on this thread
> Metla, I think if it was configured as you suggest,
> (i.e. with a wireless ethernet card) the PC would
> have to be on before the Notebook could connect to
> the net

Yep,thats the flaw in such a setup,although it would be the cheapest option.

theother1
28-09-2004, 02:20 PM
I would be forever going in and turning it on and "she who should be out at work" would be turning it off again!!!!!!!!!!!!

metla
28-09-2004, 02:23 PM
In that case you shouldn't have the desktop set up in the kitchen......

theother1
28-09-2004, 02:36 PM
how true, how true.