PDA

View Full Version : OT- Broken CD player on sony minisystem

fus1_n
27-09-2004, 09:58 PM
My mum got a sony mini system, relatively new, for $12. Cool. catch: the CD player doesn't work and there is no aux. input so i cant just connect any old cd player or mp3 player to it (darn)

what happens: you put the disc in (its one of those 3 cd changers that always brake) and It 'grabbs' the cd spins it up and then says n0 CD. this makes me think the lazer had gone bang but it there any cheep or free way of fixing this. It is a Sony GRX2 if thats any help.

Megaman
27-09-2004, 10:05 PM
just like the one i've got that died...

Bazza
27-09-2004, 11:03 PM
I am hoping some PF1er's may know & advise about this problem.

I have a similair problem with an AIWA mini 3 CD stereo. It's been very satisfactory, but recently it doesn't recognise audio CD's. They just keep spinning, & nothing happens. Is there anything one can do to get the audio CD's going ?

godfather
27-09-2004, 11:23 PM
I have tossed 2 mini systems over the years for the same reason.

They start by being fussy about playing burnt CD's. But thats not unusual I guess.

Then they got fussy about playing original CD's, then finally would not recognise any CD's. Disassembly and cleaning the lens did nothing to help their slow demise.

Given the short life of many CD players/burners in PC's it should be no surprise that mini systems suffer the same fate.

Given the replacement cost its also not surprising that nobody would keep parts or be able to offer an economic solution to repair.

I now have several sets of speakers.....

John Budd
28-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Got a Phillips one that has recently started doing the same thing. Not recognising any CDs (commercial or Home copied)

Spacemannz
28-09-2004, 01:07 PM
I had the same prob here with my AIWA 3 cd. It went for so long and died. I found a site , a few months ago now, where in the US they sued AIWA because of this.

As it WAS a known fault, with some models of AIWA mini-systems.

Including my one. In the end tho, I couldnt be bothered repairing it. I pulled it to bits and chucked it out lol. And kept the 5 speakers. And got a panasonic 5 cd/dvd stereo.

fus1_n
30-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Is there any way you can wire up a seperate CD player even though there is no aux. input?

Spacemannz
30-09-2004, 11:31 AM
I doubt it. Unless u know where to wire it to. And what youre doing.

mark c
30-09-2004, 12:55 PM
CD players are way out in front of the appliances racing towards built-in obsolescence, or whatever the cause is.

Everybody I know who has a CD player has a bung one.

Mys sister has a five stacker but it only works in one place.

Anyone here sell/fix/deal with CDs can offer a bit of info? :O

Billy T
30-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Yes, you can wire in an auxiliary input for an external CD player. It is quite simple but you need to know how to do it yourself because the cost of having it done for you would probably make it uneconomic.

You could always ring up an electronics repair shop & get a quote though, I estimate 30 minutes labour if the player is designed to be dismantled, and about $5 in parts.

Alternatively, if the player also has a tape deck, you can use one of those CD to tape adaptors sold with some personal portable CD players for use in cars.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Patrick 2003
30-09-2004, 04:48 PM
we bought our panasonic in to get fixed but before he fixed it he said it willl cost 250 bucks for this part it needed, some lens or something, waste of money, so its just a radio/tape player now