PDA

View Full Version : Duel Channel Memory

ApeNz
27-09-2004, 06:37 PM
Ahh Another thing i have very liitle knowledge about - except that my mobo supports it. Would someone please tell me so that i can sleep in peace

Spacemannz
27-09-2004, 06:41 PM
Do a search in Google or Yahoo for Dual channel memory. There will be a lot of hits on it.

Elephant
27-09-2004, 07:26 PM
The RAM will have to go in the correct slots on the motherboard.
Very often these are colour coded.

If it was me I would use two RAM sticks of identical make and size and speed. This to ensure that the DDR (Dual Data Rate) kicks in.

It is unlikely that you will notice any difference in actual computer speed.
Well it didn't happen here anyway. I can open more applications at once with 1024 Meg RAM than what I could do with 512 Meg.

If you are only looking at games then you would be better off staying with 512 Meg RAM and upgrade your video card instead.

On the other hand applications like Photoshop will use all the RAM you can throw at it and still would like a scratch disk.

Nighthawk
27-09-2004, 08:42 PM
>>If you are only looking at games then you would be better off staying with 512 Meg RAM and upgrade your video card instead.

hello, im a heavy gamer, (doom 3, farcry)
i have:

Athlon XP 2500+
512mb DDR 333 ram
geforce 5200
40GB hardrive 7200 rpm

im considering an upgrade, (new gpu, psu, double the ram, fans)
is it better to buy the faster ram than my current DDR333 (e.g DDR 400)
or to keep the ram modules the same?

You say 512mb is enough ram for games, would an extra 512mb give a decent performance gain? i know most new games require 1GB ram to run good so i wasn't sure about what you said

of course, i do need 2 upgrade my video card 1st :P go the budget gf!

drb1
27-09-2004, 09:31 PM
Ele,

Do you use a scanner, you will find an improvment there also I believe.

D.

ApeNz
27-09-2004, 09:41 PM
Doom III recommands 1 gig of ram so for a gamer playing recent games like Doom III and half Life 2 1 gig is good. Yet in some cases a graphics card upgrade can do better - 512 ram is still ok today but in the next few months that will change

ApeNz
27-09-2004, 09:43 PM
512 more ram will give a good preformance gain for games - especilly newer ones

ApeNz
27-09-2004, 09:44 PM
If you get different speeds of ram i dont think u will be able to go duel channel but other then that i think u would be fine

Big John
27-09-2004, 09:45 PM
> It is unlikely that you will notice any difference in
> actual computer speed.
> Well it didn't happen here anyway. I can open more
> applications at once with 1024 Meg RAM than what I
> could do with 512 Meg.

What it does is increase memory bandwidth by nearly double. If you did not notice any difference then it is probably not working properly. I noticed a huge difference while playing around with mine trying to get it to work nicely. In the end I had to run the memory speed at a slightly slower rate but that was more than made up by the memory bandwidth.
As all programs use RAM then everything will benifet from it.

Try running a memory program with it set as normal RAM and then as dual channel and you will see the extra speed it generates.

ApeNz
27-09-2004, 09:49 PM
Do you set it to it in the bios or does it do it auto

Spacemannz
27-09-2004, 09:53 PM
It should do it auto if the mobo supports Dual channel, and the ram is the same brand/speed. And the ram is in the right slots on the mobo.

It wont do anything if it doesnt support Dual channel. You'll know as it should say Dual channel - Linear mode or similar on POST, when u boot up

Pete O\'Neil
28-09-2004, 10:14 AM
Apenz after a quick google search i found this on the Kingston website:
Although referred to as dual channel memory, it is the systemís themselves that are released with either single memory channels or dual memory channels. In dual channel, the memory modules are installed on two separate channels, each with itís own access route to the memory controller. The dual memory channel design doubles the peak bandwidth of single memory channels.
Perhaps next time before you ask a vague guestion you could do some research for yourself.

>If you did not notice any difference then it is probably not working properly
It really depends on the system used, P4's really benefit from the extra memory bandwidth offered by dual channel memory, where as Athlons dont. With a P4 system you should make an effort to use dual channel memory as the preformance increase will be noticable, with a Athlon system its not really a big deal as its not as noticable. But if adding more ram to a dual channel capable motherboard why not use a matching stick to enable dual channel its free preformance.

Nighthawk in an earlier thread i gave Apenz some advice which i think is relevant to you aswell. The video card market is currently up in the air as new cards are released, and prices are very high. Your current video card to put it bluntly is crap for gaming, you will get the biggest preformance gain from a new video card. I would reckonmend holding off on any video card upgrade for another couple of months, the X700 and 6600 have just been released as will offer 9800PRO preformance at 9600 prices.

You will also notice a preformance gain from an extra 512mb of RAM, games will load quicker and run smoother. For example DOOM3 has a software sound engine, many gamers have noticed that when they upgrade from 512 to 1024 the sounds quality is superior. Granted you probably wont notice a dramatic change in FPS when adding more memory but you should notice some benefits when gaming.

With the release of DOOM3 and HLF2 we have just experienced a huge jump in system requirements and quality of graphics. The majority of new games will be based on the DOOM3 engine and the source engine (HLF2), so building a system capable of playing these games at reasonable detail settings should mean you can continue to play future releases for a long time to come. These games will benefit from 1024mb of RAM and will benefit from a good video card.

If i was upgrading a system similar to Apenz or Nighthawks so that it could play HLF2, DOOM3 and future games, i would first upgrade the RAM as its readily avaliable and wont get much cheaper than it is now. Nighthawk if you have a nForce2 motherboard try to get matching stick of RAM to what you have already e.g same speed, brand etc so that you can enable dual channel memory and get the free preformance. If its not a nForce2 motherboard then getting a stick of DDR400 would be fine. After upgrading the RAM i would save some money and wait for a couple months for the X700 and 6600 to be avaliable in AGP and for the community to make a decision as to which is the better preformer. Read lots of reviews and make an informed decision based on price, preformance and features.