PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling WinXP with SP2

heaton
27-09-2004, 06:03 PM
This is not an XP2 experience so will make it a new thread.
Friend of mine reckons that after you install XP2 and then have a crash and go to reinstall windows XP from your CD your windows with XP2 will reject it as it will consider it a security risk. Anybody know anything about this ???

Spacemannz
27-09-2004, 06:07 PM
Not if u do a clean install. So he's wrong.

Elephant
27-09-2004, 07:54 PM
> This is not an XP2 experience so will make it a new
> thread.
OK.

> Friend of mine reckons that after you install XP2 and
> then have a crash and go to reinstall windows XP from
> your CD your windows with XP2 will reject it as it
> will consider it a security risk. Anybody know
> anything about this ???
No I don't.

What does your friend mean by a "crash"? To me, a hard drive CRASH, and how we got this name was because a hard drive head is sitting very close to the platter or platters in a hard drive. The platters are spinning and the hard drive heads move across the platters to pick up data on inside or outside tracks or anything in between. The head can drop onto a platter and damage the platter and hence data.

Are you talking about reloading or reinstalling WinXP from the ORIGINAL CD over the top of an XP SP2 installation?

I have never tried this one. I have upgraded my original WinXP with SP1 and then later with SP2. I have taken measures to upgrade my original CD and slipsteamed SP1. I have since made a slipstreamed SP2 CD.

I haven't had to actually use the slipstreamed XP2 CD I made but made sure it booted. One day I may need to use it or not as the case may be.

Same with backups is it not? If you don't do it then hopefully you wont need it.

If so then your friend may be correct

Mzee
27-09-2004, 08:01 PM
Why not make a Ghost or PQ Drive image or Acronis true image of your system, then you will never have to reinstall again.

XP shouldn't "crash" anyway.

godfather
27-09-2004, 08:13 PM
As suggested above, if you are doing an install by booting from the XP CD (the usual method) then the old Windows installation on the HDD is never run, and is never active until its been replaced.

So I don't see how that original install could detect any issue.
After all, it's "crashed", it's dead and it's being replaced.

Or have we missed something about the original problem?

heaton
28-09-2004, 04:51 PM
> As suggested above, if you are doing an install by
> booting from the XP CD (the usual method) then the
> old Windows installation on the HDD is never run, and
> is never active until its been replaced.
>
> So I don't see how that original install could detect
> any issue.
> After all, it's "crashed", it's dead and it's being
> replaced.
>
> Or have we missed something about the original
> problem?

I think what my friend is getting at is that after installing SP2 the security features in SP2 will reject trying to reinstall Xp from the ORIGINAL cd rom which you got with your computer long before SP2 was on the horizon. Now I am ignorant of the correct terminology and what I meant by CRASHING was say files becoming corrupted so that programmes don't work properly and there are lots of posts on this site where people have had to reinstall XP. Anyway I have an external HD. 120 mb and Acronis software so I have created an image of what is on my HD and can restore it all if I have future troubles. I just thought that anybody who has not got a similar backup system in place could be in trouble. Thanks for replies......cheers

CYaBro
28-09-2004, 04:59 PM
If you make a slipstreamed SP2 CD and then try and install it it should be fine