PDA

View Full Version : OT: cordless phone NZ - North America

chatoyer
27-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Quite a bit off-topic, but does anyone know if a 2.4Ghz cordless phone (not a mobile) purchased here in NZ will work in North America (specifically Canada)?

I mean, aside from converting the BT plug to a standard RJ11 and aside from ensuring that the AC power adaptor will handle 120V in NA.

Reason I ask is that North American televisions don't work here because of the spectrum used, so just wondering if same for cordless phones...

Cheers!

David

POTUS
27-09-2004, 04:40 PM
The 2.4ghz connection is between the handset and the base station, from that point of view nothing changes by physically moving both parts to another region in the world

chatoyer
27-09-2004, 04:42 PM
Actually, that makes quite a bit of sense.

Should I go 2.4 or the new 5.8 or whatever it is? I've got a wireless network at home.

chatoyer
27-09-2004, 04:43 PM
Oh, and thanks POTUS! :)

godfather
27-09-2004, 05:05 PM
The issue is not so much "will it work" but what Canada actually assign for those frequencies.

If they have allocated them to another service then using your phone could cause problems to the other service (and heap much trouble on you).

Though one would guess that 2.4 GHz spectrum would be quite common world wide, you could spend some time and find out at the link below.
http://spectrum.ic.gc.ca/tafl/tafindxe.html

chatoyer
27-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Thanks godfather. Seems as though a 900mhz phone is what i should get, for two reasons:

1. Canada sells 900mhz phones, so frequency interference shouldn't be an issue; and

2. 2.4Ghz can mess up 11b networks, which is what we have.

Now, the next trick is finding a phone that has a ad adaptor with both NZ and NA input types.

Cheers

David

godfather
27-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Its probably not that simple either.

You need to ensure that the firmware in the phone will be suitable for the Canadian phone system.

Most phones bought here have a NZ version of firmware to handle our dial tone recognition, our peculiar interpretation of caller ID etc, ringing cadence and more.

You take a risk on using a NZ version of firmware on an overseas system. No guarantee it will work, or work properly.

Its also likely to be a breach of the Canadian regulations as the device will probably not be telepermitted for that country in that version. If thats a worry of course.

paulw
28-09-2004, 01:12 PM
The NZ and Canadian networks are basically the same. (DTMF, Hook flash timers, Caller ID) The main difference is Transmission. The NZ phone may be too loud up there. However in saying that I have tested a few US sourced phones over the years and they seem to work pretty well here in NZ. Now Oz would be a diffrent proposition.

yankiwi
28-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Your best bet to powering your NZ Cordless Phone is to buy a universal AC-DC power pack. NA voltage is 110 vice the 220 in NZ. Just make sure the power adapter supplies the correct amount of Volts and amps. You can check the bottom of the phone and you will see some number like DC9V 300ma. Voltage needs to be the same and the supplied amps need to be > or = to the amount required by the phone.
You won't have any problems (other than some wireless network issues) with a 2.4 in Canada as phones system and frequency management is virtually the same in the US and CA.
I have lived in US, Europe and Japan and have had no issues with my cordless phones that have traveled with me. Only have to change the power adapter.

Billy T
28-09-2004, 04:53 PM
> Reason I ask is that North American televisions don't
> work here because of the spectrum used, so just
> wondering if same for cordless phones...

Just a minor correction here, the reason their TVs don't work is not because of spectrum issues, it is because their basic TV system is different to ours, and they use a different colour transmission system as well.

You can buy multisystem TV sets though that will work on any voltage or any system, and some years ago I discovered an overseas model of VCR that was the full quid for most systems, and would have needed minimal set up to work anywhere. They had just blanked off the controls they didn't want to use in the home market. It was a genuine "one size fits all".

It's getting so it is cheaper to make a standardised model, user configurable for different markets, than it is to make separate models and have a larger inventory.

Note the example of computer power supplies. When did you last see a 230-volt only unit? They pretty much all have manual or automatic voltage switching now.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)