PDA

View Full Version : Word Documents / MDI

camo
27-09-2004, 02:18 PM
Heeeelp!

I am helping someone out with their new computer. It's a new XP machine with Office 2003. We have transfered all her old data across, including her Word documents, which were composed on her old Windows 95 / Word 97 PC.

None of her old documents will open in word 2003 - instead, they appear as .MDI files, and can only be read using Microsoft Office Document Imaging. They won't convert to Word 2003 AT ALL.

Little help?

Spacemannz
27-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Transferred all data across as in what?? Just the word documents??

Or program files as well??

camo
27-09-2004, 03:32 PM
Well, all of her documents. Word docs, photos etc.

Spacemannz
27-09-2004, 03:42 PM
The only thing that may have happened was they were saved as MDI files or something. You could try reloading them and saving them in another format. Other than MDI. Or open My computer / tools/folder options/file types.. change the extension MDI to some other program (if one is installed) to either Word (if its a doc), or a graphics program.

Murray P
27-09-2004, 04:16 PM
Change the one (hopefully uninportant) file extension from .MDI to .doc and see what happens. If ok change the rest.

I'm not sure whether you want to be changing the MDI association to .doc as word change dfrom using MDI (multiple document interface) for ver 97 to SDI (single document interface) for Word 2000 and later. MS also changed the file format, which they are want to do, but 2000 can read 97 formats. The problem could be caused by importing rlated Office/Word files where they already exist in the new installation.

Cheers Murray P