PDA

View Full Version : What's happened to all the "Doom Sayers"?

JJJJJ
27-09-2004, 02:12 PM
A month ago this forum was full of drivel from the know it all brigade about what a load of rubbish SP2 was and how it was going to do dire things to the operating system.
Now that Sp2 has been released they have gone strangely quiet. Just another example of people mouthing off about something they know nothing about.

Likewise several people who had probably never used it were telling us what a wonder program Firefox was. Now the complaints about it are rolling in they have gone quiet on it too.

If you don't know what you are talking about, Keep your mouths shut.

Jack

metla
27-09-2004, 02:16 PM
>If you don't know what you are talking about, Keep your mouths shut.

Good advice,i suugest you lead by example.

Terry Porritt
27-09-2004, 02:25 PM
>>>Now that Sp2 has been released they have gone strangely quiet.

Have you not read this thread? It's there as bold as brass stuck to the top of Press F1, what more do you want?

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=51008

alphazulusixeightniner
27-09-2004, 03:04 PM
"Good advice,i suugest you lead by example."

So true. :^O

Graham L
27-09-2004, 03:09 PM
I know it's the school holidays. The original posting was obviously intended to stir trouble.

We don't need any more of that. Just let it die.

JJJJJ
27-09-2004, 03:14 PM
Yes I'rg forgotten all the kids are at home.
Jack

Murray P
27-09-2004, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the reminder JJJJJ so, while on the subject, get your XP SP2 patch (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=17d997d2-5034-4bbb-b74d-ad8430a1f7c8&DisplayLang=en) (this is to patch SP2) and read up on some of the other issues here (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1648947,00.asp) and here (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/20/sp2_scripting_vuln/). Use the links on the latter to find more.

It really is very good of MS to keep everyone in familiar territory.

HTH

Cheers Murray ;P

Sb0h
27-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Well SP2 lasted all of about 10 minutes on my system before I was uninstalling with gusto.

By the way Firefox works great...no probs there.

;-)

beetle
27-09-2004, 05:13 PM
What was wrong with Firefox?

SP2 and firefox ok here.

?:|

ive missed something.

beetle

R2x1
27-09-2004, 05:23 PM
c
Cheese, JJJJJJ,
Just get back on the tablets - - please. Just maybe the SP2 exponents are trying to get back on line to moan about their problems - or perhaps a myriad of "I told you so" posts would not appeal.
Personally SP2 has been very positive for me - After a spiral of problems with SP2, I reformatted C: and put in Win 98, - I haven't got 'round to using it yet though. So, being devoid of MS (any sort of MS) has enhanced my life, increased the crop yield, improved the weather, and made me a happier person.
What has SP2 done for your outlook and demeanour?

:)

Cheers R2

Murray P
27-09-2004, 05:26 PM
> Personally SP2 has been very positive for me - After
> a spiral of problems with SP2, I reformatted C: and
> put in Win 98, - I haven't got 'round to using it yet
> though. So, being devoid of MS (any sort of MS) has
> enhanced my life, increased the crop yield, improved
> the weather, and made me a happier person.

That's the ticket, good new indeed R2 ;)

Cheers Murray P

Susan B
27-09-2004, 05:46 PM
> I know it's the school holidays. The original posting was obviously intended to stir trouble.

You mean that Jack's grandchildren got onto Jack's PF1 user account and are posting mischief in his name? Tsk tsk. :p :D

Hey Jack, what complaints are being made about Firefox? ?:|

drb1
27-09-2004, 05:55 PM
Sp2,

In a recent PC Stats poll:

41% installed SP2.
46% not on your life!
3.4% undecided.
9.6% What is SP2.

I.B.M. With 5000+ M/s desktops will Still not allow SP2 to be installed, they are STILL reviewing the SP2 PATCH, combined with the new SP2 PATCHES, and trying to produce a safe PATCH for the I.B.M. Machines.

It is Quiet possible that the Jury will not be going out on SP2 for quiet some months yet.

Firefox,

I had Netscape Navigator it caused problems, IE was ingrained in 2k and touted as the browser of the future, it had/has problems, it has become clear that IE in combination with Outlook and the Office sweet are responsible for so many problems, to the extent that the "U.S. D.O.D." has labeled IE a "Security Risk " and advised against it use.

I used the early Opera it was so so, Konqueror seems all right in nix, Firefox for M/s, for me has 1 MASSIVE advantage. I can adjust the text size simply so that I can use it without glasses.

To get me to go elsewhere you will have to better that feature. Yes it has little quirks, like using the "Enter key" to navigate non-bookmarked pages instead of the Mouse. Yes some people are having small problems. Is this not normal?

It is probably the new "Bench Mark", so it MUST receive a hammering.

The question is, will it producers listen, or will they behave like M/S?

D.

pulling hair out
27-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Hi Jack

Hope you've got that hard helmet on :O

Just be glad that there are choices out there. Each to their own. I love Windows and Firefox. Others have their own preferences. Hopefully both sides are enjoying the choice they have made.

OK so some reacted strongly to the myriad of SP2 problems, but they still came through with a lot of positive help. That's what I think anyway.

Marg.

Elephant
27-09-2004, 08:21 PM
> A month ago this forum was full of drivel from the
> know it all brigade about what a load of rubbish SP2
> was and how it was going to do dire things to the
> operating system.
What do you mean by "the know it all brigade.?"

> Now that Sp2 has been released they have gone
> strangely quiet. Just another example of people
> mouthing off about something they know nothing
> about.
Before I installed SP2 I was reading Fred Langa and others. His advice was to wait. I did for a short time but then installed anyway. Reason being that I wanted to try it and *I* know how to reformat and get back to square one as it were.
>
> Likewise several people who had probably never used
> it were telling us what a wonder program Firefox was.
> Now the complaints about it are rolling in they have
> gone quiet on it too.

Look... It people want to run Linux, Firefox, Opera, Netscape and ETC then why not let them do just that. If someone elects to run something different why not. I run WinXP SP2, IE6 as browser and Outlook 2003 as an Email client. This works for me. It may not work for everyone.

Being as a computer user I elect to run whatever I want in the way of operating systems or applications.
> If you don't know what you are talking about, Keep
> your mouths shut.
So did you istall Firefox and your computer or system crapped out?
I apologise in advance if I offended but what was the reason for your post?

Elephant
27-09-2004, 08:49 PM
> Hi Jack
>
> Hope you've got that hard helmet on :O
>
> Just be glad that there are choices out there. Each
> to their own. I love Windows and Firefox. Others
> have their own preferences. Hopefully both sides are
> enjoying the choice they have made.
Somebody running Linux, MSDOS, DRDOS and various versions of Windows can then run whatever applications they want. So long as the application runs under whatever operating system is used.

> OK so some reacted strongly to the myriad of SP2
> problems, but they still came through with a lot of
> positive help. That's what I think anyway.

I did not actually have an SP2 problem.

PressF1 is surely here to give people help. If it is a Linux problem as an O/S then I can't help. While I have played with it LINUX is not the operating system for me.

This does not mean that other people on this forum can't use LINUX. It is in my opinion a very good O/S.

So long as your hardware is supportd by the O/S and you can use the applications you want to use then why not?

I repeat that PressF1 is a forum here to help people about operating systems, hardware and applications. Those that can help with Linux do. Those that can help in other ways do.

Elephant
27-09-2004, 08:51 PM
> What was wrong with Firefox?
>
> SP2 and firefox ok here.
>
> ?:|
>
> ive missed something.
I don't think so.
If it works for you then use Firefox.

:-)

JJJJJ
27-09-2004, 09:42 PM
The reason for my "outburst" over SP2 was simply that most of the complaints came in before SP2 was even released. (I know some may have downloaded it in Beta). Reading some of the posts at the time made ne wonder how many of the writers had even seen it, or even understood what it was supposed to do. It seemed they came from the
"If it's Microsoft it's rubbish" brigade of self styled experts.
Since the official release the complaints seem to have died away. Apart from those who never read the instructions.
I installed it a month ago, carefully following the instructions. It was a flawless exercise and I have not had a single complaint or critism.
Jack

drb1
27-09-2004, 09:58 PM
> The reason for my "outburst" over SP2 was simply that
> most of the complaints came in before SP2 was even
> released. (I know some may have downloaded it in
> Beta). Reading some of the posts at the time made ne
> wonder how many of the writers had even seen it, or
> even understood what it was supposed to do. It seemed
> they came from the
> "If it's Microsoft it's rubbish" brigade of self
> styled experts.
> Since the official release the complaints seem to
> have died away. Apart from those who never read the
> instructions.
> I installed it a month ago, carefully following the
> instructions. It was a flawless exercise and I have
> not had a single complaint or critism.
> Jack

And what pray tell us, is on this problem free XPSP2 system?

What function does it forfill in a network?

How many SP2 units are in this network, interacting with other systems?

Perhaps some of these forboding's came from proffesionals.

Experinced in M/S games, and tired of them. These proffesionals have waited, like I.B.M.

Rightly so it would seem as SP2 PATCH 1 is all ready with us, how many days later?

How far away is SP2 PATCH 2?

The M/S Service pack process is like the "Four Knight's" white has yet to move the second knight in this one.

D.

Chilling_Silence
27-09-2004, 11:47 PM
Perhaps its because many of the bugs that were in the Beta releases have been fixed in the Final build - Did that occur to you? That _is_ the reason for a Pre-Release build after all!

What's wrong with Firefox? Go dig a hole.....

Murray P
28-09-2004, 12:22 AM
My recollection of most the pre SP2 hype was "should I install, what are the risks" with many and varied replies.

I for one said something to the effect of: If it isn't broken, you've got good AV and a firewall and you don't like fiddling, hold back until any issues are resolved. I don't need XP or to have beta tested SP2 to form that opinion. I did however read up on it and felt it was a reasonable common sense approach.

Here's a little scenario for you to consider: A person who has been driving for many years has never had so much as a near miss let alone an accident. This person applies some reasoning to this and comes up with the idea that the seatbelts in his car are superfluous. It's never happened to me, it's never happened to my neighbours, my workmates or my relatives. Therefore I don't have to wear a seatbelt.

The following is a quote from somewhere, I apologise if its mangled. "No matter how many white swans you observe cannot prove the theory that all swans are white. However, the discovery of just one black swan can disprove it". Don't muddle emotion with facts and facts with thinking, they're all quite separate states :)

Cheers Murray P

whiskeytangofoxtrot
28-09-2004, 12:36 AM
J^6 (ish)

You are here (http://sal.neoburn.net/imagef1/files/flame.jpg)

Forum needs more image tags.

Chilling_Silence
28-09-2004, 12:41 AM
ROTFLMAO!

Very good....

alphazulusixeightniner
28-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Whiskey :^O That about wraps it up.

hp4200
29-09-2004, 12:25 AM
Murray P
like your approach to the subject.
Cheers

icyred
29-09-2004, 11:00 PM
What's happened to all the "Doom Sayers"?

are they now all "Doom players"?

(no. III, that is)

icy