PDA

View Full Version : After Defragging in safe mode in XP.

Spacemannz
27-09-2004, 01:12 PM
Why does it take so long for a system to shutdown/reboot!

It can take more than a minute for anything to move, even tho nothing is usually running in the background. The only way to move it, is to press the reset button on the case. Or you could be waiting till the cows come in!

This is XP SP2. The system runs fine, BUT wth is it doing why it takes forever to reboot/shutdown after a defrag in safe mode? Anyone know?

Susan B
27-09-2004, 05:31 PM
I cannot answer your question but am wondering why you are defragging in safe mode in Win XP?

Unlike older Windows versions defragging in XP just needs all your running programs closed, screensaver off and away you go. Some people say you don't need to even do that but I always do.

Spacemannz
27-09-2004, 05:51 PM
Coz in XP it can and does the same thing as previous versions, in normal mode. It'll stop at 10% and will go round in circles.

And coz its better if you do it in safe mode, to start off with, which will save u closing down 45 programs/processes in the background (like this PC). If u run XP in normal mode. Why do 2 things, when u can do one?

I can defragment the other partitions on this system in normal mode, as there's nothing on them, theyre for backup. There are no program files installed on them.

Susan B
27-09-2004, 06:11 PM
I guess it would depend on what you have running in the background but as I said, all I do is close down running programs that are in the Taskbar or Tasktray, not in Task Manager, disable the screensaver and away it goes.

I know of some people who defrag without doing any of that - how it can do the job, I don't know.

It does take a long time to get past 10% but that is normal. There is a forum FAQ (link top right of this page) on defragging that explains that.

At the end of the day you have to do what works for you but I wouldn't be very happy about having to use the reset button after a defrag. That isn't normal.

Spacemannz
27-09-2004, 06:16 PM
well defragging in normal mode isnt normal either.

Oh well its still going thats the main thing.

Fishb8
27-09-2004, 08:38 PM
I do my de-fragging in safe mode, too. Does it quicker, has no AV stuff to slow you down. I know you can disable all of that but I've found it so simpler/quicker/easier, in safe mode.

Spacemannz
27-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Thats the one Fish. Too much hassle and too much stuffing around if u try and do it in normal windows mode.

Golfer
27-09-2004, 11:08 PM
I have found this little programme works wonders. (in wins 98se) Sure it's OK for XP too. Auto shuts down unecessary progs (including screen saver). Runs scandisc/ defrag then reboots your comp all on one click!! Couldn't be simpler. Hope this is of some help
http://www.mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/SoftMain.htm
Golfer

Spacemannz
30-09-2004, 10:47 PM
Ta Golfer. I'll check this out

Thanx