PDA

View Full Version : drivers

NZHawk
27-09-2004, 12:59 PM
I have a Gateway Essential desktop computer.
I have reformatted the hard drive with the Operating System Backup CD Version '98' but it didn't restore the display driver. I only have 16 colour. Can anyone suggest where I can find the drivers for the Gateway Essential. Cheers

Spacemannz
27-09-2004, 01:07 PM
http://www.gateway.com ?

Click on downloads down the bottom.

U can either put in a serial # or to the right Get Gateway update and run it see what it picks up to update.

NZHawk
27-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Thank you for the suggestion - but no go. I had already tried it and it didn't like the serial number nor could it detect the serial number.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Spacemannz
27-09-2004, 01:29 PM
I would send an email from the gateway site. There are lots of sound drivers there. BUT its which 1 you download!

Spacemannz
27-09-2004, 01:30 PM
Whoops that should be display not sound!

Pete O\'Neil
27-09-2004, 01:32 PM
Your pretty much screwed, gateway pulled out of NZ a while back now. When gateway left so did the support. I had a similar problem a while back and struggled to find driver until i found what the model was called in America. Most of the model sold here were also sold in the states just under a different name, thus once you know what it was called you can use the america site.

Otherwise you could use a program such as Everest to find out what graphics controller you have and then download the drivers from the manufactuers website.

Terry Porritt
27-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Or, use the Aida16 dos program to find the graphics chipset, and as Peter says try and get the generic chipset drivers.

You can get Aida16 from several download sites, this is one:

http://cyberia.dnsalias.com/Cyb.11.Htm

Chilling_Silence
27-09-2004, 01:43 PM
Aida32 got bought out by another company and has become EVEREST Home Edition.

Its great, and it'll solve your problems...

thewhiz
27-09-2004, 02:18 PM
if you ever need to find a driver try www.driverguide.com

Pete O\'Neil
27-09-2004, 02:27 PM
> if you ever need to find a driver try
> www.driverguide.com
Driverguide is good for really hard to find drivers but i have found that drivers for the more common hardware are often outdated or unstable. Its best to have a look on the manufactuers website first to get the latest driver, otherwise a good ole fashion google search works wonders.

NZHawk
27-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Thank you, everyone. I'll give all the suggestions a try.

Cheers

Terry Porritt
27-09-2004, 04:28 PM
A major difference between Aida16 and Aida32/Everest is that the 32 bit version needs to be installed in Windows, whereas the dos 16 bit version can be just run off a dos boot floppy.... much easier.

You dont really need the windows version permanently installed once you know what all your hardware is.