PDA

View Full Version : Synchonise Thunderbird between two computers

peejayw
27-09-2004, 07:43 AM
I have two computers on a LAN. Is it possible to synchronize mail between the two so that mail read on one will show up in the read folder of the other and vice versa?
Thanks

johnboy
27-09-2004, 09:50 AM
have a look here (http://www.ictadvice.org.uk/new2computers/opt/menu_net/page/faq/?pagenum=30) is this what you want ?
hth

peejayw
27-09-2004, 09:02 PM
Hi, Thanks but no it doesnt let me do what I want. I think I have to share the mailboxes on both computers and somehow have them auto-update each other. I think Outlook could do it.
Thanks,
Pat

Wood-Chuck
27-09-2004, 09:08 PM
Who's the email provider?
Instead of doing this between machines (which will require both machines to be on while you check your mail - which can be a bit pointless), see if the email provider does IMAP.
This will let you do what you want (see read mail, sent mail, etc) but it's all done at the server end not at the user end.

peejayw
28-09-2004, 08:21 AM
Hi, I am with Xtra, do they do that?
Thanks,
Pat

tminus
28-09-2004, 11:10 AM
at the office we are at the Sales Manager has Outlook for his mail.

His PA has outlook on her machine, and it has her mail and also "sees" his mail and appointments etc.

I dont know if Outlook express can do that , we use outlook..

alphazulusixeightniner
28-09-2004, 06:03 PM
IMAP would work well, but it means keeping the emails on the server.

I'm having some sort of brainwave here. How about forcing the profile folder to be in a network share and both computers have the Thunderbird profile pointed to that network share so they are accessing the same data.

So make a folder on one computer and share it over the network giving full read/write access.

Then on both computers you access the profile wizard:
Start - Run:
"D:\Programs\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" -p

Then you tell it to make the profile be stored in that shared folder.
E:/Stuff/thunderbird profile/

Then you go looking for the current Thunderbird profile and do a profile copy into that folder. That'll require a few more things to get working properly so you'd have to go to the FAQ on the mozilla site. Not that difficult.

Then follow the same profile wizard with the other computer but pointing to that shared network folder like: //azsen/thunderbird profile/

Then they should be sync'ed together with the same mail on each computer because you are accessing the same data from the one location.

Only problem I can see is if one Thunderbird closes, it might not update some of the files because they are already open. Also if the computer with the shared folder on isn't turned on then the other one wouldn't be able to access the mails etc. It might work, might not.