PDA

View Full Version : Semi OT - Tips for Compaq/HP Users

tones_malones
26-09-2004, 01:30 PM
In light of a new job, thought i might share this lil tip!

If you have purchased a HP/Compaq PC/laptop/scanner from a major retailer in the past year or so (still under manufacturer's warranty) and a problem arises (hardware only, warranty does not cover software, as it is deemed a 'user fault') with it you have the option take it back to the store where you purchased it from to get it repaired (for free, as long as they find a problem with the units hardware).

This can be a lengthy process, due mostly to red tape at the retailers end. As Compaq/HP will not service under warranty units with out a case being previously lodged (by dialling Compaqs 0800 number), you call that number and go through all the 'possible soloutions' then after about half an hour you recieve a case number (aka TR number).

The support line is good, very thorough and a free alternative if you live somewhere isolated or your problem can be resolved over the phone.

If you take this TR number in with your proof of purchase to the retailer your unit will get serviced a truckload quicker.

NB/ Takes on average five working days for the unit to return back from service (excluding CompaqCare who have a huge backlog at the moment).

Just thought I may share it, as many customers come into the store and I refer them to this site if they have any issues or want to expand their knowledge! And also many customers are completely unaware of this procedure!

Cheers,

Tones

metla
26-09-2004, 01:37 PM
so.....you work in a retail outlet and you have made a thread pointing out the good service provided by one of the brands you sell?

Sounds like advertising to me.

Growly
26-09-2004, 01:50 PM
metla, have a lemonade...

tones_malones
26-09-2004, 01:55 PM
No i'm pointing out the fact that many people have had problems recently with units.
Just offering some insight for people who might not know what to do if the situation arised.

I don't give a rats about the company whom i work for (sure as HELL wouldn't advertise for them) but i do give a rats about the end user as i am one as well.

Pull your head in Metla!

metla
26-09-2004, 01:58 PM
Pull my head out?

Youve taken it upon yourself to promote a service thats tied in with what you do for a living,thats as bad as if i started a thread called"Gaming computers for $999 at computermedic.co.nz"

Unsolicitated advertising.

tones_malones
26-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Please re-read my post, i have mentioned a brand yes, i have not mentioned a retailer.

i have not said 'go and buy x product' or 'don't go and buy x product'. Or one is better than another @ 'x price'.

also note the OT in the top of the thread title.

metla
26-09-2004, 02:42 PM
Yeah,i was being a tad over-reactive......

Damn hangover....

tones_malones
26-09-2004, 02:44 PM
ugh im hungover too.

damn Jim (Beam), always gets me drunk... =P

nzStan
26-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the tip Tony. Might come in handy one day.

nzStan
26-09-2004, 04:31 PM
Oops tony <> tones????

tones_malones
27-09-2004, 07:35 PM
gosh with a Y...what an insult!!
(im not a guy!)

=P

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
27-09-2004, 07:53 PM
> gosh with a Y...what an insult!!
> (im not a guy!)