PDA

View Full Version : New Telecom Plans

enaj
25-09-2004, 10:33 PM
Hi All
Just reading up on the new Xtra plans released yesterday, Im currently
using approx 6GB per month on my Xtra 256K plan, mainly watching streamed news media from Canada, With the new plans going to 2mbs Im going to blow out my 1OGB usage quick real quick and then drop to 64Kps , Is there a programme like netlimiter (Not sure If this will work) that would restrict my speed/download usage to something like 350k or 400k so I could use up all of my 10GB but not going way over and having to put up with 64Kps.
Using XP pro and real player if this helps
Thanks in advance
enaj

alphazulusixeightniner
25-09-2004, 11:07 PM
Yes you can use NetLimiter to limit everything to a slower speed it's a good program, though I don't quite see the point as you'll download the same amount of data anyway it will just take you longer.

enaj
25-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Watching streaming media you need as much speed is possible, 256Kps
is at the lower end needed , To go to 64Kps would be unbearable
Thanks

barmypom
26-09-2004, 10:30 AM
The new plans make a mockery of Telecons Jetsons advert. "This new broadband is faster than anything we've seen before, blah blah, allowing gaming, streaming video etc."
Little do they tell you that you'd blow your data cap pretty quickly if you're doing all these things.

Big John
26-09-2004, 12:59 PM
> The new plans make a mockery of Telecons Jetsons
> advert. "This new broadband is faster than anything
> we've seen before, blah blah, allowing gaming,
> streaming video etc."
> Little do they tell you that you'd blow your data cap
> pretty quickly if you're doing all these things.

Who cares. All that will happen is that you will drop to modem speeds. Everyone moans that the speed is not fast enough and then when they increase the speed they moan because the data cap is too low.

Sure I aggree with you as well that 10GB is too low but larger caps will come as well in time. Build a bridge and get over it.

barmypom
26-09-2004, 04:29 PM
>
> Who cares. All that will happen is that you will drop
> to modem speeds. Everyone moans that the speed is not
> fast enough and then when they increase the speed
> they moan because the data cap is too low.
>

I'd say alot of people care. That's why it gets moaned about alot.
Dropping to modem speed isn't really very fair (not after only 10GB) considering the price we pay.
Having said that, it's an improvement on paying 10c per MB over the limit.

phylip
26-09-2004, 05:47 PM
if you dont like the new plans dont change
JetStream Home 500 and 1000 plans will no longer be sold, as the new fast plans offer better value, but existing JetStream Home customers can remain on the plan if they wish.

enaj
26-09-2004, 06:44 PM
I was only asking peoples opinions about a programme like netlimiter or similar
because,

Quote "Customers currently on Jetstream Surf flat-rate will automatically be migrated the Jetstream Plus plan, which throttles to 64kbit/s after the monthly data cap of 10GB has been reached"
Big John , I just want to use my limit wisely not slag off Telecom so you go and build your own bridge

enaj
26-09-2004, 06:46 PM
I was only asking peoples opinions about a programme like netlimiter or similar because,
Quote "Customers currently on Jetstream Surf flat-rate will automatically be migrated the Jetstream Plus plan, which throttles to 64kbit/s after the monthly data cap of 10GB has been reached"

Big John , I just want to use my limit wisely not slag off Telecom so you go and build your own bridge

Big John
26-09-2004, 09:17 PM
> Big John , I just want to use my limit wisely not
> slag off Telecom so you go and build your own bridge

I was not getting at you but the others who are slagging off telecom. Sure they deserve a good slagging but it just goes on and on and does not get any results so why do it. I built my bridge long ago and did get over it and now am settled down to wait for what must come. We are now going to 2MB connect speed which is awesome compare to a 56k modem that usually only runs at 33k-48k anyway. According to Paradise I only use about 50-60% of my 10GB limit. According to the Jetstream meter I use 120-160% of my 10GB. Now I slagged them off about it but neither are going to change they way they measure things. I live with it and when the 2Mb connection comes out I will take the drop when it hits 10GB. Who knows they may have the same trouble they have now and the speed will not drop.